Absolutely floored by my new amp - RSA Raptor w/ Tube Rolling Impressions
Nov 4, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #92 of 566
I have changed the title to reflect our tube rolling impressions. Keep em coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #93 of 566
This has really turned into a fantastic thread. When I bought my Raptor in April, there were only a few threads that included any talk on tuberolling for the Raptor. The talk in those threads was minimal. This is what I have been looking for.

I just ordered an RCA 12BH7A and a 7316. I've been ordering my tubes from www.vintagetubeservices.com. I mentioned this site when I first posted in this thread. Prices are comparable with tube world. The 7316 was $124. A little higher than at other places, but I'd recommend you check out his website to see all the work Andy puts in on tubes.

Right now the Mullard 12AU7 is still king, but I'm really excited to hear the 7316.

I've been loving my Raptor so much, I am seriously considering selling my WA6. My maxxed HR Desktop takes care of SS needs. When I was trying to make the decision between the Woo and the Raptor, they were both so good and so different, I had to keep both. After 6 months, I find that when I listen to the Woo, I just really miss the extra impact that the Raptor brings. Now with rolling the gain tubes, well, my love for the Raptor has gone to a new level. Add this to Ray's incredible service, and you cannot go wrong.

Nov 5, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #94 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by wharfrat1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has really turned into a fantastic thread. When I bought my Raptor in April, there were only a few threads that included any talk on tuberolling for the Raptor. The talk in those threads was minimal. This is what I have been looking for.

I just ordered an RCA 12BH7A and a 7316. I've been ordering my tubes from www.vintagetubeservices.com. I mentioned this site when I first posted in this thread. Prices are comparable with tube world. The 7316 was $124. A little higher than at other places, but I'd recommend you check out his website to see all the work Andy puts in on tubes.

Right now the Mullard 12AU7 is still king, but I'm really excited to hear the 7316.

I've been loving my Raptor so much, I am seriously considering selling my WA6. My maxxed HR Desktop takes care of SS needs. When I was trying to make the decision between the Woo and the Raptor, they were both so good and so different, I had to keep both. After 6 months, I find that when I listen to the Woo, I just really miss the extra impact that the Raptor brings. Now with rolling the gain tubes, well, my love for the Raptor has gone to a new level. Add this to Ray's incredible service, and you cannot go wrong.

I agree. When I first started looking at the Raptor a few months back, I had a hard time finding any thread that discussed worthy tube options for this amp. Thanks for all the input guys!

I also ordered a Mullard 12AU7 from Andy and it should be here next week. As for the 7316, I'd be suprised if you didn't like it but heck, we all hear different right?

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #95 of 566
Warfrat1, you cornered the market on impact when you bought the 12BH7. I just went down for some nice Tung-sol 5678's so im gonna have to wait awhile for the 7316. You really have my interest peaked on that one Raffy. Im also hoping that the new 5687s will smooth out the RCA cleartop so I can use that more, if not maybe some sylvanias or GE's will match well with the cleartop. The cleartop is a great tube but needs a little sweetness to even it out.

Nov 5, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #96 of 566
Hey Mike....
Have I got a surprise for you, my friend, I will be bringing some new tubes that work great in the Raptor, they go in the gain socket to replace 12AU7, if you twist my arm I might let every one know NOW. Well why not.
These tubes are, 12AY7 & 12BH7A, both are medium gain & matches pin to pin with the 12AU7. The 12BH7A is a long bottle it looks cool sitting in that socket.
I am still looking for some more replacement "matches" in my 2000 + tubes collections.
Ray Samuels

Nov 5, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #98 of 566
Today, I spend some quality time w/ my Valvo 12AU7 (the one mislabled as Bugle Boy but my dealer swears its a Valvo). When I first got this last week, I couldn't stand it, I felt like it was a little too dull for my tastes. Today however, I felt like it is the "tubiest" of all my tubes. I can sense some coloration but the impact is very good (I can hear guitar strings being plucked w/ authority and they seem to resonate longer). Definitely different from the 7316 but has a nice entertaining character.

Here's a pic:

100_2111.jpg

See the little smudged bugle boy? Check out the getter, it's a slanted getter which seems to be consistent with a picture of a Valvo I saw online.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #100 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pic. Is this your favorite now?

Probably not. The 7316 still has better separation and detail. This is just a laid back and fun tube to put in from time to time.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #103 of 566
I am stuck with Telefunken ECC82 for now and have no idea where I can get a 7316. I do not mind the 100 bucks, perhaps, you could share some reasonable e-retailers with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, you want a 7316 and it will run you about 100 bucks. Its killin me too.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:29 PM Post #105 of 566
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There're six variation/types of this tube, with the type code being Ctx. The different types range from Ct0 through Ct5. The Ct0 is a long plate construction, all the others have short plates. These short plate tubes also use different getter ring types, ranging from a large O in the earliest types, to a large D-/stirrup-shape, to a small o in the Ct5.

The short plate versions of the 7316 are reportedly fast, crisp and punchy with crystalline clarity while the long plate version is softer and more lush. Since there is a significant difference in the sound of the long plate versions and the short plate versions, it would be helpful to know which version you have, Raffy. Since you list it as a 1959 vintage I would assume that it is a Ct0 long plate version. Could you confirm, Raffy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back