Absolute BEST over-ear headphones for $200 or under.
Jul 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #31 of 56
The M50s are the most overrated headphones on here outside of the Mikros 90. I never thought they sounded even remotely interesting. You want something good that won't break the bank, get the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80, and if you want an amp pick up the Fiio e11. I'm also not sure I'd call the M50 balanced, anyway. 

The thing is, $200 is a no-man's-land for headphones, particularly over-ear. You can get cheapies for less, or you can jump up to the $300 range and start looking at something like the VModa M100 (and if you like the M50 the M100 is EXACTLY where I'd go, for $200 used http://www.ebay.com/itm/V-Moda-Crossfade-M-100-Over-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphones-/321464479529?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item4ad8c6af29 ) and its ilk. In the $200 area you're more likely to get decent-on ears or great IEMs. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #32 of 56
First, look for any product in the world that has completely unanimous, unreservedly positive opinions about it. Make sure no one has ever had a preference for any alternative to it. Once you have found it, come back here and we'll tell you the REAL information on which headphone to buy.

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #33 of 56
First, look for any product in the world that has completely unanimous, unreservedly positive opinions about it. Make sure no one has ever had a preference for any alternative to it. Once you have found it, come back here and we'll tell you the REAL information on which headphone to buy.

Now hold on a minute, good sir. You're almost talking like there's no such thing as perfect and thus it's mostly about hedging your bets by asking for opinions and then trying stuff out until you find what you like. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #34 of 56
But that's the thing, I did jump up to the $300 range. The NAD Viso HP50's are $300! But I could get them used for $250. I just really wish there was a way where I could sit down with both the HP50's and the M50's and compare the two and see which one really is better. That would make things SOOO much easier. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #35 of 56
  But that's the thing, I did jump up to the $300 range. The NAD Viso HP50's are $300! But I could get them used for $250. I just really wish there was a way where I could sit down with both the HP50's and the M50's and compare the two and see which one really is better. That would make things SOOO much easier. 

Like I said, if you enjoy the M50, the M100 should be next on your list. It's that same bassy, lively sound, just bigger and better. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #36 of 56
No thanks, the M100's have been compared to the M50's multiple times. And each time it doesn't hold a candle to the M50's, unless you're a bass-head. And the M100's don't have a accurate sound like the M50's. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #37 of 56
I just really wish there was a way where I could sit down with both the HP50's and the M50's and compare the two and see which one really is better. That would make things SOOO much easier. 

Welcome to buying audio equipment in the Internet age. In exchange for better pricing by buying online, we lose the option to hear before we buy (lol)

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #38 of 56
Yes, because if we bought them in a store they'd let us listen to them before we buy them. I mean, it's not like the only pair of cans major outlets have on display are products from Beats or Bose. Because that'd be ridiculous. 

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #39 of 56
  No thanks, the M100's have been compared to the M50's multiple times. And each time it doesn't hold a candle to the M50's, unless you're a bass-head. And the M100's don't have a accurate sound like the M50's. 

You know dude, I'm thinking you should just keep your friggin M50s. You love 'em, no one's given you an answer you like, you're making declarations like "doesn't hold a candle" based on who knows what, so just stick with what you have. It's frustrating as hell, I'm done.

For the record, the M50s sound like a muddy M100. So... sure. Okay.

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #40 of 56
The M50/M50X are good headphones for their price point. If you like what you hear about them, that's a good place to start for a decent set of headphones. You can always get a better pair one day in the future. The audio hobby is a journey. You don't have to get there all at once :)

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #41 of 56
I'm not the one making those declarations, I specifically said my opinion was based upon multiple comparisons of the headphones. In fact, that  "doesn't hold a candle" was an actual quote from a comparison of the headphones. Take a look for yourself, here's a link to the exact video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmYcZ6aToPE 

If you're tired of helping me then that's fine. I understand I wasn't being easy here. But I do appreciate the help you have given me. So thank you. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #42 of 56
You're blowing with the wind.  Show some discernment, don't take strong positions for or against certain headphones (that you haven't heard)  based on random dudes making comments on their opinions of their perceptions.  Try to listen to some yourself!  Don't let other people make up YOUR mind.  

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #43 of 56
  I'm not the one making those declarations, I specifically said my opinion was based upon multiple comparisons of the headphones. In fact, that  "doesn't hold a candle" was an actual quote from a comparison of the headphones. Take a look for yourself, here's a link to the exact video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmYcZ6aToPE 

If you're tired of helping me then that's fine. I understand I wasn't being easy here. But I do appreciate the help you have given me. So thank you. 

It would be a great deal of help if you could tell us what cans with street prices of about $75 and up you (personally) have listened to for a reasonable amount of time--say 15 consecutive minutes or more--and tell us what you thought of each of them.

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #44 of 56
There's truth in what you're saying, but you got the wrong idea if you think I'm the kind of guy who just blindly takes what other's say and go by that without checking up on it or forming my own opinion. If I was, then this thread wouldn't be going on as long as it is. There's a place for those kind of videos, and there very helpful and informative. The trick is, to look up multiple videos or articles.  And see who there by, if there trustworthy, and unbiased. It's also very important to see if there's consistency in what these people are saying. If so, then it's likely I'm gonna lean in that direction and go by what they say. And when you say listen to some yourself, how do you propose how? Go to any major outlet and there just going to have Beats and Bose on display. The only way I could is if I go to an audio festival. Which are rare, especially to find near your area. But I've already decided what headphones I'm buying thanks to the help of thatBeatsguy. Sorry if my spelling or grammar is a little off here, it's getting very late and I'm tired. So I'm off to bed. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #45 of 56
looking up reviews and "reviews" is fine, but that can tell you only what you might want to try.  It does NOT form your opinion.  I think that's why you are having paralysis by analysis.  Your opinion needs to be based on experience, not an average  of other people's opinions.  There are ways to try headphones out, you can probably figure out how.  Until you do, you do not actually have an opinion of their sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back