Absolute best budget earbuds?
Feb 17, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #496 of 2,999
That is the principle of diminishing returns.

Pretty much what vapman wrote.

And that the really good TOTL earbuds make you not feel the need for headphones since you come very close to the full size headphone sound. Earbuds can give you the best bang for the buck. But TOTL earbuds can also compete with full size headphones or IEMs.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #498 of 2,999
That's the case with for example CampFred and Diomnes Lv2 (based on original Monk). Often great quality cables such as cardas or occ litz is used and the drivers have been retuned. It's a bit like turning a VW beetle into a Porsche.

I have not heard the earbud that CampFred is based on but the fact that Diomnes is based on Monk blew me away. I never cared much about original Monk but found Diomnes to be pretty amazing. Except for a very slight harshness in the upper mids Diomnes is just perfect with deep bass, extended highs, a wide and deep soundstage with 3D like instrument placement. If Monk was VCR, Diomnes is 4k blu ray. I just don't understand how a $5 earbud driver can have such huge potential.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #499 of 2,999
I've been singing praises for these HE150 ohm's left and right after that I picked them up at Penon (ebay) after reading BloodyPenguin's review.. I compare to Monk v1 and TY HP32 v1, and I am thoroughly impressed by them. They're not for everything, but (though they are NOT LIMITED TO THIS) they have *excellent* bass response.. Listening to Bonobo's '1009' now without any EQ and the lows are so extended and present without overpowering, it adds a lot to my regular listening sessions of some genres I listen to over the aforementioned buds. Add the very sturdy L-jack as well as the strong bud pouch Penon include for 13 or 14$ that I paid I easily rank them very high in my best budget earbud shortlist. If I'd known I'd have ordered another pair of these as backup instead of the 2x Qian39's I also got ( after Monk v1 and TY32 v1 I like to stock my 'special finds' lol .. ) . Not to say Qian39 is bad, I really enjoy it (for lower quality recordings, it has a nice sound in its own way but not even close to the same level imho.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #500 of 2,999
That's the case with for example CampFred and Diomnes Lv2 (based on original Monk). Often great quality cables such as cardas or occ litz is used and the drivers have been retuned. It's a bit like turning a VW beetle into a Porsche.

I have not heard the earbud that CampFred is based on but the fact that Diomnes is based on Monk blew me away. I never cared much about original Monk but found Diomnes to be pretty amazing. Except for a very slight harshness in the upper mids Diomnes is just perfect with deep bass, extended highs, a wide and deep soundstage with 3D like instrument placement. If Monk was VCR, Diomnes is 4k blu ray. I just don't understand how a $5 earbud driver can have such huge potential.

Yeah it's impressive.  The modded Monk I have from Crow honestly in some respects outperforms Cyngus in vocals which in my mind is a hell of a feat.  I was really tempted to send my only original Monk to get it modified into a Diomnes, but opted to go for @vapman instead as I really want to support their efforts.  I can always find another Monk if I really want.

Also on topic, the first of several budget earbuds ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100-New-Arrival-In-ear-Earphones-Flat-Head-Plug-Earphone-HiFi-Bass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds-Heavy/32789378048.html ) arrived and I'm getting my initial listen in.  Off the bat it's fairly bassy but seems to have some looseness.  It's not quite as bassy as E808+, but might be mistaken as I just got off work and haven't had a chance to actually compare, so going off memory here.  Vocals are decent & don't sound recessed, but not the focus of the spectrum.  Acoustic guitar sounds realistic, but doesn't quite stand out as much as I'd prefer.  Electric guitar sounds slightly dull, but probably due to me listening to CampFred a lot lately, it's all your fault @Danneq.  It's a fun sounding earbud all in all so far.  And of course, all these are VERY initial impressions.

Also for anyone that's tried it, it uses the exact same cable & jack as DK-Jin, at least it looks identical.

Edit:  Ok, the acoustic guitar on that particular track didn't quite sound like I hoped.  The next acoustic track however performed much better.  I think I'm going to like this earbud!  It should do quite nicely for Alternative.

Feb 19, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #501 of 2,999
  I wonder sometimes if I'm wasting my money buying all these budget ear buds... since I only plan on using them with Benjie S5, Colorfly C3, and Walnut v2, I once thought it was the best thing to do. But, maybe I'm wrong?

I find more value buying four $20 ear buds, then one $80 ear bud. Maybe someone can let me know if I'm right or have been wrong all along and should buy the best (whatever that is). I think the problem is spending the money 'finding the best'.

It can also depend on use.  I'm willing to spend more on something to be used at home than for something that is going to get abused more during travel, higher chance of being sat on, higher chance of being stolen, IEMs or buds that are used on the go and probably haphazardly stuffed into my pocket instead of carefully put back into a travel case, etc.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #503 of 2,999
I just got five pairs of ear buds in the mail. I'll let you know in 7 days in layman's terms of what I think.

TY Colarad C01, Boarseman K25, Qian 25, Qian 39, **** PT15.

PS: On first inspection: Colarad cable nice (overpriced tho! I don't recommend for that!), K25 box really nice, Qian 25/39 really cheap cables. :frowning2:, PT15 skinny cable, not beefy like expected. But nice enough. 

Sound wise first impression: Qian 25 are a great everyday ear bud and cheap too, Colarad has too many ear piercing highs, I think will shelve them and regret the purchase, PT15 had a hollow sound with a bit of a piercing high I may regret that purchase too. Qian 39 has piercing highs as well, but much lower. 

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #505 of 2,999
Feb 20, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #508 of 2,999
I have a feeling I'm going to wish I just bought a pair of those for everyday use, but I guess I needed to buy some budget pairs to see what my ears can handle?

Seems like you have a few more coming still, I'm sure you'll find a few you're pleased with. It also sounds like you're quite sensitive to any harshness around mids & treble, which I have some sympathy with as I find the same. Agree with your comments especially around the PT15 and it's 'hollow' sound - I've decided in the end to write off that PT15 as definitely not for me...quite a relief to make my mind up that I actively dislike it and know I need never put it in my ears again!!

Based on this.. I have a feeling you'll like the Monk+ when it arrives, and maybe the RY4S as well (if that was on your list).

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #509 of 2,999
  You also would risk spending $150 vs. $5 on something you hate?

I'm not sure what you mean. I did risk over $200 by buying budget ear buds... I guess I was trying too hard to be one of the guys. However, I found some sticklers in our bunch of sound fiends, not you though. :wink: 

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #510 of 2,999
  I just got five pairs of ear buds in the mail. I'll let you know in 7 days in layman's terms of what I think.
TY Colarad C01, Boarseman K25, Qian 25, Qian 39, **** PT15.

Sound wise first impression: Qian 25 are a great everyday ear bud and cheap too, Colarad has too many ear piercing highs, I think will shelve them and regret the purchase, PT15 had a hollow sound with a bit of a piercing high I may regret that purchase too. Qian 39 has piercing highs as well, but much lower. 

Let them burn-in for a few days first. The red-cabled TY32s/Colarad, imo, has fairly unnatural highs & tend to be very forward with its presentation. Great for gaming or electronic dance music, but I don't use them for much of anything else. You seem to be quite treble-sensitive. The K's 64 may be more your taste. I find the white-cabled K64 has reasonable treble/upper-mid brightness with monk+ like laid-back presentation.

Don't fret too much about making mistakes on earbud choices; I am sure all of us has a big pile of earbuds/IEMs/headphones that's almost brand new when we discarded after disliking them. Hopefully, that does not also extend to very expensive big-box hifi systems as well for you.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back