about to pull the trigger on the PK3's...
Mar 5, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 29
i'm not considering the NE-7m due to the microphone which i have no need for... i can only see it getting in the way

how do the RE-2 compare w/ the PK3? should i get that instead?

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm not considering the NE-7m due to the microphone which i have no need for... i can only see it getting in the way

how do the RE-2 compare w/ the PK3? should i get that instead?

RE2 is a more sophisticated, detailed sound, but really needs an amp, even an E3, to sound its best. As noted, lots of details, not much bass. But a very nice canal phone, and considering it used to cost $79 or $99 (can't remember), excellent at $49. More comfy in some ways to the PK3s, if buds cause any ear pain (not happen to everyone). Also, I used the Comply T400 foamies when I checked out my daughter's RE2s and they also cost extra. But maybe the OEM silicones will work for you anyway.

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #19 of 29
hmm if the RE2's can only shine with an amp, i think i'll just stick with the PK3's

i'm itching to pull the trigger now but i'm gonna give it a day and see if some others chime in

thanks guys

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you read the miles-long PK3 appreciation thread? That's why those threads exist.

how ironic.. if u read my original post u would have saw that i did read that thread..lol..

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #22 of 29
Then I guess I don't get waiting for more posts here, when there are two years of recommendations on that thread. I read your post too fast, admittedly. But they PK3s are a proven commodity, no one really can add much to the discussion at this point.

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #23 of 29
^ that's true iguess..

i pulled the trigger just now
smily_headphones1.gif

anyone know how long head-direct takes to ship things? do they have good support?

Mar 5, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #24 of 29
Head-Direct is an excellent customer service org, and if you have any problems, email Fang and he will take care of you. He's as honest as they come.

They ship USPS first class, so not super speedy, but they will be there soon enough. And let them burn in overnight a couple nights and I prefer the donuts, but try the full pads too.

Mar 5, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #25 of 29
sorry if this is a dumb question but what do you mean by let them burn in overnight?

do you mean just leave them on playing music while i sleep? how high should the volume be?

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean the KSC75? Because if not, I'm sure a lot of people will be interested to know where one can get the 35 model for that price.

The KSC75 has weak bass IMO, making it a bad choice for rap. It is OK for rock, but seems treble heavy to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
might be weird but i'm a bit hesitant because of how they look... they just look like some generic earbuds.. can they really sound that amazing? lol

do these blow the <$30 range earbuds (EP-630, CX-300, V-moda, skullcandy, marshmallows) out of the water?

I had the V-mods bass freq and compared to the PK3 they are muddy, dark, closed-in and un-involving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by montell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many will disagree with me but they compete with my $250 sennheiser IE8

Wow, great for your wallet! My comparison between the 2 is the IE8 is better at everything, but some things not by all that much. The IE8s are better balanced, have better bass by far, better treble extension and quantity, much more detail, and a wider stage. But for the price, the PK3s are very good for rock and have enough bass for rap IMO.

And I just stuck the PK3s in after listening to the IE8s and I couldn't listen to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PK3s with donut pads crush any non-Yuin ear buds. Judging them by their looks is not smart.

The donut pads kill the treble too much for me, I cut a hole in the cover and wear them that way.

Since you listen to rap/rock/alternative, I am gonna have to say the PK3s are probably the right choice for you.

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #27 of 29
Koven, I just got my Pk3's 2 days ago (Tuesday) and let me tell you something about these little generic looking pieces of ...... *sigh*......... they are simply put........ AMAZING!! You are just not going to believe that what you are hearing is coming from earbuds. Enjoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

img2932.jpg

img2933c.jpg

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, great for your wallet! My comparison between the 2 is the IE8 is better at everything, but some things not by all that much. The IE8s are better balanced, have better bass by far, better treble extension and quantity, much more detail, and a wider stage. But for the price, the PK3s are very good for rock and have enough bass for rap IMO.

And I just stuck the PK3s in after listening to the IE8s and I couldn't listen to them.

Actually I am keeping the IE8 because I need isolation.

But the biggest difference between the IE8 and the PK3 is definately the bass quanity. The IE8 got tons of bass and makes the PK3 look extremely weak. I simply disagree when you say that the IE8 are better balanced then the PK3. The IE8 provides subwoofer-like bass. It almost completely overpowers everything else on certain songs that are heavy on the lows. The bass of the PK3 on the other hand is one of best I have heard in any iems or earbuds. This is the bass I like. Its not overpowering nor etymotic-like, its balanced and satisfying. And IMO the PK3 has much more air to the sound then the senheissers too. IE8 is probally more detailed.

But I find it actually extremely hard to quantify the differences between the IE8 and the PK3 other then the bass and the fact that I do hear the differences between them. This alone should tell you enough about the PK3 though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back