About to order ER6i's; convince me I should get something ELSE.
Feb 8, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahem..... MrVile - if you read the posts above, you should be able to note I DO mention iM716.

Ehh, when things are in one big long paragraph it severely decreases my skimming effeciency
tongue.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 36
Mrville.
Uh.....is this the same as the Mozart/Salieri too-many-notes syndrome
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by luciobar1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, how about between the ER6's and ER6I's .. what are the differences??

1. The ER-6 is clearer-sounding and closer to the ER-4S sound. It is, IMO, simply better. Not that the ER-6i is lacking, but the ER-6 is an improvement.
  2. The ER-6i takes standard-sized eartips, so a much wider variety is available, including third-party Comply tips and most of the Shure series eartips. I'm not aware of any eartips other than the ones that Etymotic supplies that fit the ER-6. (However I get a very good fit from ER-6 biflanges, better than I get with ER-6i/ER-4 flanges. And the ER-6 biflanges are softer than the ER-6i/ER-4 flanges and IMO slightly more comfortable.)
  3. The ER-6 is less efficient and you'll need a higher volume setting to get the same perceived volume. It is still easily driven unamped by an iPod, though, so in practice the lower efficiency matters only if your source material is recorded at a rather low recording level.

Feb 8, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

How do the IM716's and ER6i's compare??

Personally I'm not a fan. IMO the only thing the 716 has going for it is the ruin-the-fidelity-by-adding-too-much-bass switch, if you're into that kind of thing. It's not terribly efficient, and an amp will be needed if your music is recorded softly or if you like to play it loud. The earpieces are quite large and I can't get them deep enough in my ear to get a seal unless I use foamies. And you've got that pod with a switch that you have to clip on or otherwise manage. Soundwise it has most of the good Etymotic qualities, but I never really liked it - certainly not more than the ER-6 or 6i, especially given their much superior ergonomics.

Feb 8, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #22 of 36
I own the Ety ER6 and the Ety ER4S and the Yuin PK2. Between the three of them, at this point, I'm exclusively using the Yuin PK2 - $69, shipped in the ConUS and Canada. At 16 ohm they are easy to drive from a headphone out, AND they improve really gorgeously with a Go-Vibe (AD8397/AD825). They deliver MUCH (not all) of the sound quality that I love from my SR225, AND MUCH (not all) of the sound quality that I love from my ER4S - all in one phone. Their leakage is small enough (and the sound they let in is sufficient) that they can safely be used in public as a portable phone. And they sound good enough to be used as a stationary phone. I'd recommend that you snag a pair before the Yuin folks figure out how good they are and raise the price (if they haven't already).

Feb 9, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #23 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get a very good fit from ER-6 biflanges

Same here, they are 10 times more comfortable than Shure E2 foamies. It is effortless to insert. I haven't heard the 6i or im716 but I am really very satisfied with the ER6 SQ, don't need an amp either with an iPod - my G1 shuffle alone drives it to way beyond volume levels that I can listen to.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

I can get the ER6i's for about $80. Anything in this range I should consider, taking everthything from SQ to Comfort to isolation into account? Thanks!
cool.gif

Did you ever decide?

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #25 of 36
Haha, Thanks for asking. No, I haven't. I have my finger on the trigger of this Ebay auction to get the ER6i's for $80, but I'm not convinced. Mainly, it's the somewhat conflicting viewpoints on the bass levels. I listen to ALL kinds of music. i love hip hop, but love classical, soundtracks, jazz, you name it. I gather this will handle all the light stuff beautifully, but what if I want to listen to some NWA, Gang Starr, or Kool Keith??
lambda.gif
Will the bass satisfy me? that is what I'm worried about.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Haha, Thanks for asking. No, I haven't. I have my finger on the trigger of this Ebay auction to get the ER6i's for $80, but I'm not convinced. Mainly, it's the somewhat conflicting viewpoints on the bass levels. I listen to ALL kinds of music. i love hip hop, but love classical, soundtracks, jazz, you name it. I gather this will handle all the light stuff beautifully, but what if I want to listen to some NWA, Gang Starr, or Kool Keith??
lambda.gif

I have the ER6s, and if you love bass, you may not like the ER6s. Don't know about the ER6i's, though. The cords on the ER6 are tremendously microphonic (i.e., noisy), so, as somebody posted previously, they are best for sitting and critical listening versus walking or similar activities.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

what if I want to listen to some NWA, Gang Starr, or Kool Keith??
lambda.gif

I am not a follower of this kind of music so I cannot speak with authoritaaaah. But I would really expect not. If you want the music to sound the way it sounds when someone drives by blasting it through their subwoofers then definitely not; not even close.

For you the iM716 might well be the much better choice. With one setting of the mode switch you have a pretty decent hi-fi earphone, and with the other setting you have a much more bass-oriented presentation.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Haha, Thanks for asking. No, I haven't. I have my finger on the trigger of this Ebay auction to get the ER6i's for $80, but I'm not convinced.

There's no need to rush a decision, take your time. You can get them off Amazon for $80 with free shipping anytime.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #29 of 36
episiarch;2701990 said:
I am not a follower of this kind of music so I cannot speak with authoritaaaah. But I would really expect not. If you want the music to sound the way it sounds when someone drives by blasting it through their subwoofers then definitely not; not even close.QUOTE]

See, I don't need THAT kind of bass. Honestly. Just good, clean, deep bass. I don't want it to sound anemic. IMO, it should sound the way it was intended to, not over-exagerrated as lots of products can make bass sound.

Feb 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #30 of 36
If you're pretty sure you're not a basshead, then the ER-6 or 6i should be fine*. If you are one or lean that way, then they probably won't satisfy you.

Just to throw an idea out there, what about Etys for most listening and a pair of KSC-75's when you're in a bassier mood?

*[size=xx-small]To reiterate somewhat, though the 6i's bass is a little louder, I really find the ER-6's bass more 'present' and compelling.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back