About these crazy new-ish Apple earpods
Feb 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mglak51jk

Head-Fier
I have a maddening love/hate relationship with these things. As ear-buds of course they have zero isolation-which is to be expected, and
really doesn't work for living in NYC, yet when it's quiet, i really like them. I can hear details that I can't hear otherwise (even with
the Etymotic MC5's) and they have an airiness that I really like-The bass is really heavy-handed-but I can deal
The question is: Which iem has a similarly airy-spacious feel?, or is it that the nature of earbuds (vents etc.) to have a more open sound?
iem-much better isolation but tends to sound really "in my head"
earbuds-more open sound, no isolation
In the past I have owned: Etymotic MC5, ADDIEMS, Brainwavz M2, PL-30, PL 21, Meelec M6, and a few others that I can't remember=

So: What iems have you found that can offer detail, spaciousness, sound stage-non fatiguing?
I can afford up to $250.00
Thanks to all

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Sony EX600
not sure if you can still find them, but try to search in trading section. they were $100 in mint condition.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 5
however, the isolation on them is an issue.
i'm living in NYC also, taking train to work/college everyday, the EX1000 just can't handle the noise. they are okay while walking on the road. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 5
Seekky -- I love the EX1000 -- definitely my favorite IEM sound. I agree that they don't offer the best isolation. Have you tried changing tips? I ordered some Comply Tsx-200 the other day. I'm hoping for a better fit. I just bought Sony XBA-4iP from a head-fi'er. I'm hoping they offer a similar sound.

OP -- if you love details and air, the Ety ER-4P should be on your radar. It was my daily IEM for a long time.

Feb 20, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Seekky -- I love the EX1000 -- definitely my favorite IEM sound. I agree that they don't offer the best isolation. Have you tried changing tips? I ordered some Comply Tsx-200 the other day. I'm hoping for a better fit. I just bought Sony XBA-4iP from a head-fi'er. I'm hoping they offer a similar sound.

OP -- if you love details and air, the Ety ER-4P should be on your radar. It was my daily IEM for a long time.

foam tips will change the sound. less open/neutral.
i prefer the stock hybrid tips, best for EX600/1000 imo.

edit:
already tried T200 on them.
i used to like foam tips a lot, but not any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back