About the Pro-ject Headbox MKII . . .
Dec 16, 2007 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

sunseeker888

100+ Head-Fier
I just came back to this hobby after losing touch with my headphone side. I own SR80s, HD555s and various other low-end-unmentionable cans (think Sony
biggrin.gif
).

So during this time I have been ferociously trying to find my 'sound' and have settled on a vintage el84 stereo amp with huge 60's Fisher speakers. Now I used to own a LDII++ but it started crackling and ultimately failed within 6 months, so I sent it back for a refund. They were very cooperative, FWIW, though. Now for Christmas I had to get an audio gift, so I decided the headbox was a valid option since it isn't expensive. I guess it's better than no headphone jack right? No one has much nice to say about it, but I feel it will suffice for me at this point. I'm going to look into more expensive tube amps when I get my sr325is eventually. Yes I love the upfront Grado sound. Opinions on the Pro-ject?

Dec 16, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 22
Where would ojne buy one of these in Canada. I checked out the amp at their web site but it has no links to dealers and very little info about the amp. At that price though I'm willing to buy one see how it compares to the the amp in my EMU 0404 USB and Audiolab 8000A.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 22
Planet of Sound in Ottawa has them.

Dec 17, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 22
I think many of the negative statements of the pro-ject headbox comes from the older version of the amp. I have the newer version at home somewhere but I haven't performed any testings of it since getting better/more expensive amps. But as far as I recall the little amp performed quite well with no earthshattering flaws to speak of. Maybe somewhat low on detail and soundstage but it worked ok for its price.

I got the amp since I needed a headphone jack quick and it's one of the few headphone amps that are easily purchased here and with a low price. That is not to say that you can't find better value elsewhere, but for a non-portable amp this one is almost as cheap as it gets around here.

Dec 17, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 22
Hi, thanks for the info. I was digging through old posts and its true, the old version got most of the thumbsdown.

Like you say, I need a headphone jack quick, since I really have nothing at this point of the game.

Also, I am getting really good at modding amps and preamps for better sound so I may just have to investigate that external power supply when I get it. I'm sure it could benefit from some beefier capacitance and upgraded diodes... Can't wait to see though. Thanks again

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snejk, head-box isn't low on details, it can be described as detailed!

Like I said, I haven't listened to it for a long while, and have since then upgraded both source and phones so that might be a reason of my memory of it.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I am getting really good at modding amps and preamps for better sound so I may just have to investigate that external power supply when I get it. I'm sure it could benefit from some beefier capacitance and upgraded diodes... Can't wait to see though. Thanks again

If I'm not mistaken there have been people doing some OPamp-rolling on the headbox with good results as well. Not sure where I have read that though.

Dec 19, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #13 of 22
I had the Head Box II at home for a couple of days. Not impressed, Luckily, I could return it. It sounds no better than a Technics CD player headphone out. Just different. The HB II had distant soundstage, thin and rolled-off bass, kind of one-note midrange (might be pleasant for some) and I liked the trebles the most but they weren't detailed just easy to digest. IMHO this amp is dedicated for people who own no headphone out at home. Otherwise, it's disputable to buy the Head Box.
Regarding "chipset": JRC2068, worth upgrading for sure.

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 22
Yikes, that's pretty awful. I had a suspicion that it would sound like *****, considering that it's $149 here in Canada. I wonder if the Headbox SE series sounds as bad? I'll probably pass on these amps if that is the case - it just seemed most convenient since they are sitting in the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back