Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Feb 6, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #181 of 571
Thanks..

Well - It was going to be the end game DAC yes.  Just found out the output impedance is to high for the Dynahi.  So after I get the Dynahi build I'll try it out and see.  If it's a no go I'll be on the DAC hunt again for the Dynahi.  However, the AMR is not going anywhere.

Looking at the Lampi with Deulands or the Metrum HEX.

Nice that you have considered the Lampi as a positive one when you showed doubt it would sound good when I mentioned it a year ago lol. I've been put off buying a L5 due to the inconsistent builds and build quality with the units I've seen internally online and the 2 L4's and L5 that have passed through these hands, I still consider it a good musical sounding DAC and all but Iuno I'm back into spinners. Good luck.

Regards cables sounds like you need something with a bit sparkle whilst maintaining clarity from the output of the DAC's if you're running bal or rca's, the Crystal Cable piccolo's should do the job nicely.

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #182 of 571
You know how it is, you have to hear it for your self.  The build quality on the one I have for a month was not all that good either.  

Leaning towards the HEX as well.   I heard it at the DC audio show - but for only a few minutes - all my time was taken up by that Audio Note DAC.

Does any one have any comparisons / impressions with the HEX?

Feb 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #183 of 571
  You know how it is, you have to hear it for your self.  The build quality on the one I have for a month was not all that good either.  

Leaning towards the HEX as well.   I heard it at the DC audio show - but for only a few minutes - all my time was taken up by that Audio Note DAC.

Does any one have any comparisons / impressions with the HEX?

Metrum HEX! I want to hear what you have to say about it :) That and possibly the Yggdrasil are in my sights. I'm a bit skeptical of Schiit being competitive in this league, but I remain hopeful.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #185 of 571

Mike Moffat can design with the best of them..

I agree with you there, but a "statement" piece is either going to pan out as marketing fluff or the real deal. We'll see...and I hope it turns out to be the latter :)

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #186 of 571
D,

How does your AMR handle rock? There is something about the refined, forward (but very holographic) and liquid presentation of the Lampi that just makes it suited to acoustic, jazz and classical likes peas and carrots. Rock doesn't bring out the glamour in the same way (I liked the way the PWD handled rock). If your AMR is anything like the Lampi the Staxes (and HE60) are right as rain alongside and the gap definitely widens between them and upper tier dynamics like the T1 and LCD's (haven't tried the HE6 yet).

Feb 6, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #188 of 571
I agree with you there, but a "statement" piece is either going to pan out as marketing fluff or the real deal. We'll see...and I hope it turns out to be the latter :)

Schiit? Marketing fluff?? Lololol. It's intended as THEIR statement products-at this point in time-I'd imagine.

Prep-glad you came around to what myself and Froger have been saying about the M7 for a while. :wink: I'd be very interested as well in your Hex vs AMR impressions since those are 2 different price brackets, and if the HEX can compete. OTOH-the AMR's aesthetics are absolutely stunning-whereas the HEX looks generic and boxy at best-at least in photos. yes, I care-especially when searching for the endgame unicorn.

-Daniel

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #189 of 571
D,

How does your AMR handle rock? There is something about the refined, forward (but very holographic) and liquid presentation of the Lampi that just makes it suited to acoustic, jazz and classical likes peas and carrots. Rock doesn't bring out the glamour in the same way (I liked the way the PWD handled rock). If your AMR is anything like the Lampi the Staxes (and HE60) are right as rain alongside and the gap definitely widens between them and upper tier dynamics like the T1 and LCD's (haven't tried the HE6 yet).

E,

I don't even listen to Rock.  However, if it's anything like rap ie.. requiring hard hitting slamming bass I'll give the win to the PWD mk2 (it's more fun).  At this point that would be my only gripe about the DAC, the good news is the new upgrade board the (SE) version supposedly fixes that.  The AMR and Lampi are absolutely terrific with female vocals.  The PWD mk2 seems a bit recessed in that area.

The bar is set way high for the HEX..  I read Tony's (antonyfirst) review on the HEX.  Seems like it's really good and capable DAC.

Yeah, yeah, yeah Daniel, You know I was talking about you in the write up - right? Ha ha ha..   If I never got to listen to the Lampi or the AMR I would have never known.

Feb 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #191 of 571
Schiit? Marketing fluff?? Lololol. It's intended as THEIR statement products-at this point in time-I'd imagine.

Prep-glad you came around to what myself and Froger have been saying about the M7 for a while.
wink.gif
I'd be very interested as well in your Hex vs AMR impressions since those are 2 different price brackets, and if the HEX can compete. OTOH-the AMR's aesthetics are absolutely stunning-whereas the HEX looks generic and boxy at best-at least in photos. yes, I care-especially when searching for the endgame unicorn.

-Daniel

You guys should try the NFB-7 if you find the M7 too polite, maybe?

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #192 of 571
You guys should try the NFB-7 if you find the M7 too polite, maybe?

Dead and lifeless were my exact words-Froger pretty much agreed. Keep in mind this was with the M7/M8/HD800. Way too much cold neutrality in that setup imo. Keep in mind the wide and distant soundstage of the M7, while also lacking depth like Darryl mentioned-definitely wasn't doing the Senns any favors. My DP1 otoh is excellent with the HD800. I think the M7/M8 would be a stellar rig with orthos in the chain though. Synergy is everything. And now Prep and Greed have me lusting this AMR-it never ends...

-Daniel

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #193 of 571
Yes, M7/M8/HD800 to my ears just didn't cut it. I remembered I had a hard time keeping awake listening to that combo. Daniel, you got to listen to the DP-777, the imaging, tonality and soundstage are simply better than Eximus DP-1 and I always think that the DP-777 matches and complements HD800 really well. If you want HD800 to sound more organic/realistic, the DP-777 will bring you one big step ahead :)

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #194 of 571
Yes, M7/M8/HD800 to my ears just didn't cut it. I remembered I had a hard time keeping awake listening to that combo. Daniel, you got to listen to the DP-777, the imaging, tonality and soundstage are simply better than Eximus DP-1 and I always think that the DP-777 matches and complements HD800 really well. If you want HD800 to sound more organic/realistic, the DP-777 will bring you one big step ahead :)[/quot:xf_eek:e]

Noooooooooo! I WANT. Love the giant sexy form factor too. AMR--Leviathan--HD800: goodby Headfi lol.

-Daniel

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #195 of 571
Good Morning,

I had a listen to the master1/7 combo in my house over the weekend. While the master 7 is a superb piece of equipment, I came to the same conclusion as others have. NOT ENOUGH EMOTION!

So on to the AMR. A friend of mine has the HEX. I might be able to do a comparison in the near future. Should close the deal on the AMR today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back