Abbey Road versus Dark Side Of The Moon
Aug 15, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #16 of 50
I agree with David, the White Album is a far stronger work than Abbey Road, showing the wide variety of things that the Beatles could do musically. To the OP, DSOTM is musically far and away above Abbey Road. Simply, the Beatles musicianship is nowhere on the level of Pink Floyd's.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by logwed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with David, the White Album is a far stronger work than Abbey Road, showing the wide variety of things that the Beatles could do musically. To the OP, DSOTM is musically far and away above Abbey Road. Simply, the Beatles musicianship is nowhere on the level of Pink Floyd's.

I think Gilmour is a better guitarist than anyone in the Beatles......but I disagree that anyone else in Floyd is a better musician than the Beatles......... Paul is a more inventive bassist than Roger, neither are virtuosic.......... Rick Wright is not as good a keyboardist (from a technical standpoint) as is McCartney, and Nick Mason and Ringo are pretty much equal.......neither are virtuosos, I'm tempted to say that Ringo is actually a little more versatile.

As singers, Lennon and McCartney are preferable to me than anyone in Pink Floyd..............Gilmour's voice as good as it is, takes a total backseat to their music, which is often good!......

But in terms of which band had better musicians, The Beatles for sure if we're talking all-round musicianship...............listen to the harmonies in Because.....Pink Floyd could never execute that, and probably not even think of something so harmonically challenging.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 50
I'm really not an objective viewer, because I'm not a fan of the Beatles' sound, and I find the vast majority of their compositions to be simple. Plus, I can't stand the rigidity of Ringo's playing.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

I'm really not an objective viewer, because I'm not a fan of the Beatles' sound, and I find the vast majority of their compositions to be simple. Plus, I can't stand the rigidity of Ringo's playing.

really? their compositions aren't particularly simple.........take a listen to Because and You Never Give Me Your Money..........they are tracks 8 and 9 on Abbey Road.

Aug 15, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #21 of 50
Now, are we still DSOTM v. Abbey Road, or have we gone to The Beatles in general, in relation to other artists.

Aug 15, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #22 of 50
The Beatles may have just been in the wrong time. They missed the 70's with bands like Yes and Pink Floyd experimenting with structures and sounds and instruments. Yes and PF experimented early in their respective careers, which, IMO, was when their most complex work was done. On the other hand, The Beatles grew out of standard pop into the White Album and Abbey Road, experimenting later in their career. If they could have been set back a decade, or stayed together, who knows what they could've achieved.

On a side note, may Les Paul rest in peace.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #24 of 50
DSOTM it is...
smile.gif

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

The Beatles may have just been in the wrong time. They missed the 70's with bands like Yes and Pink Floyd experimenting with structures and sounds and instruments. Yes and PF experimented early in their respective careers, which, IMO, was when their most complex work was done. On the other hand, The Beatles grew out of standard pop into the White Album and Abbey Road, experimenting later in their career. If they could have been set back a decade, or stayed together, who knows what they could've achieved.

On a side note, may Les Paul rest in peace.

Wait... what?! I'm going to assume that this is a very cleverly crafted deadpan, but I will clarify for those who take it seriously.

The Beatles pioneered psychedelic and experimental pop music. If it weren't for them, all kinds of progressive rock might not exist. One large reason why Sgt. Pepper is revered as the greatest album of all time by critics is due to its complex, psychedelic, and experimental sound/format. That album is still ahead of its time, and no band will ever catch up to it (although PF came closest).

Aug 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #26 of 50
I love both, but I am definitely a bigger Beatles fan than I am a Floyd fan. I chose Abbey Road not only because it is just brilliant, but also because it represents the Beatles getting it together and pushing out one more masterpiece after the bickering and near-breakup of the Let It Be sessions.

It kills me that Let It Be came out last. Abbey Road was their greatest work, in my opinion, and it was a letdown to have to deal with Let It Be as their final statement.

Not that Let It Be is less than great. It's better than many groups could have done on their best day (**cough**, Oasis.) But if the choice had been between DSOTM and "Let It Be," I would have gone for DSOTM without hesitation.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #29 of 50
Never really liked Beatles after they got "serious" - do like their early pop singles. Their music is nice and melodic but does not resonate with me.

Voted for DSOTM as I am a long time Pink Floyd fan ... though I prefer their earlier albums especially Ummagumma.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #30 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait... what?! I'm going to assume that this is a very cleverly crafted deadpan, but I will clarify for those who take it seriously.

The Beatles pioneered psychedelic and experimental pop music. If it weren't for them, all kinds of progressive rock might not exist. One large reason why Sgt. Pepper is revered as the greatest album of all time by critics is due to its complex, psychedelic, and experimental sound/format. That album is still ahead of its time, and no band will ever catch up to it (although PF came closest).

But do they do Prog better than Pink Floyd? Certainly not. Saying an album was ahead of it's time does not make it better. Anyway, this is Abbey Road we're talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back