Abandoning Panasonic HJE900
Sep 23, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
My question to people who likes pana hje900: how do are able to listen them without feeling "pain" for every harsh sound / sibilant freqs.
I have not audiophile neither super-sensible ears anyway is quite evident this issue on a lot of track (eg.: take it easy eagles, grace jeff buckley, resistance muse).

Try lowering the volume. I like a V shaped sound, but it does require the volume to be turned down pretty low - lower than most people I know regularly listen to. Though based on your post, you could just be unusually sensitive to treble and sibilance. My hippo VB, for instance, are considered a little harsh to some ears. But personally, I never found that to be the case at all. Personal preference plays an important role here, and the hje900 sound like a pretty polarizing IEM. Though maybe I should blame companies like sony, bose, and sennheiser for popularizing such a dark sound signature with either recessed or rolled off treble as well - after years listening to stuff like that it's no wonder so many people here can't any elevated treble energy.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #17 of 39
To OP,  you found HJE900 "harsh/sibilant mid-high are too annoying". The RE0 tunes it down some; but, will you be ok with, let's say from "too annoying" to "annoying"? My question is - do you like the sound signature?

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
To OP,  you found HJE900 "harsh/sibilant mid-high are too annoying". The RE0 tunes it down some; but, will you be ok with, let's say from "too annoying" to "annoying"? My question is - do you like the sound signature?

good question.

despite I told before I've modded my hje900 inserting in some foam. well the sibilance is now tolerable, anyway the overall result seems to be "sunk" (i don't know if it the right english word
tongue.gif
).
Probably the best way for me is to use this IEM @ low volume as somebody already wrote.
So we go to the real issue: probably I do not like this V shaped sound signature.

Probably I would prefer a more "balanced" signature.

I understood:
DBA-02 --> probably harsh as well
ATH CK10 --> impossible to be found
RE0 --> only on US store
Klipsch C3 --> boh...
Koss i150 --> boh... 

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #19 of 39
Denon C700/751 and Denon C551

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #20 of 39
I've experimented with a bunch of Tips last night and finally found a solution: The Complys that came with my UE700 all but eliminated sibilance. The downside is that the overall sound is darker now and kick bass has lost some of its punch.
I'm gonna try Monster's foam Super Tips next, which are way stiffer than Complys and might tame highs without sacrificing too much of the clarity and punch.

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #21 of 39

Quote:
good question.

despite I told before I've modded my hje900 inserting in some foam. well the sibilance is now tolerable, anyway the overall result seems to be "sunk" (i don't know if it the right english word
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" />).
Probably the best way for me is to use this IEM @ low volume as somebody already wrote.
So we go to the real issue: probably I do not like this V shaped sound signature.

Probably I would prefer a more "balanced" signature.

I understood:
DBA-02 --> probably harsh as well
ATH CK10 --> impossible to be found
RE0 --> only on US store
Klipsch C3 --> boh...
Koss i150 --> boh... 

Foam tips can help more, and essentially change the sound signature. Also, in your previous post, the songs you mentioned are sibilant, not just the headphones. Chances are most detailed phones will present you with similar harshness, though certainly some will to a lesser extent. I hope your choices work out for you though!

Quote:
I've experimented with a bunch of Tips last night and finally found a solution: The Complys that came with my UE700 all but eliminated sibilance. The downside is that the overall sound is darker now and kick bass has lost some of its punch.
I'm gonna try Monster's foam Super Tips next, which are way stiffer than Complys and might tame highs without sacrificing too much of the clarity and punch.

This is what I've been telling people for a while lol, comply tips, for me at least, completely removed any semblance of harshness or sibilance. Too much, actually, in my case.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
Try lowering the volume. I like a V shaped sound, but it does require the volume to be turned down pretty low - lower than most people I know regularly listen to. Though based on your post, you could just be unusually sensitive to treble and sibilance. My hippo VB, for instance, are considered a little harsh to some ears. But personally, I never found that to be the case at all. Personal preference plays an important role here, and the hje900 sound like a pretty polarizing IEM. Though maybe I should blame companies like sony, bose, and sennheiser for popularizing such a dark sound signature with either recessed or rolled off treble as well - after years listening to stuff like that it's no wonder so many people here can't any elevated treble energy.

Rolled off treble and sibilance are different frequencies.  The REOs don't have rolled off treble and certainly don't have sibilance.  Sibilance is in the 2-4khz range.  So please don't mix up harsh peaky treble for one that merely doesn't roll off treble.

Sep 24, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #23 of 39
^True. Rolled off treble does not necessarily imply that a headphone will be sibilance free. But having an overly warm/dark sound does, as it masks any sibilance in the recording. And if you're used to a dark sound, it's expected that the added clarity one experiences when the mid-bass bloat is removed could easily go hand-in-hand with extra perceived sibilance.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #24 of 39
I guess we do all have different ears, because I am one of those people who think the HJE900 sound fantastic!! And I have yet to hear sibilance. Oh well, to each his or  her (hearing) own. I mean I can't see how anyone couldn't like these sans just not being your sound signature.

Quote:
Just get the RE0s or the Zeros.  I got the RE0s right after I returned the HJE900s.  I'm like you.  I have no idea why people think the HJE900 sound great.  Oh well, ears are different.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 39

Agree. Comply sound nice and warm on the 900's but they do roll off the highs quite a bit making for a rather heavy balance given the already generous bass.. Not a trace of sibilance or harshness with them but a little too dark in the end for me. Might be just the thing for those who are more sensitive up high, though.
Quote:
 Comply tips tame the treble quite a lot(actually so much that they make treble boring for me, but several members like using them). 

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #26 of 39

heyy guys i was planning on getting the HJE-900 for a while now,finally saved up enough money 
smily_headphones1.gif
 , i was going to order them from J&K until i read this post about their filters falling off.....after reading the post...i started thinks and all these questions started popping up,are there any IEM's which do not use filters? if i was searching for a upgrade from HJE-900's which ones would you recommend?,i might as well spend a couple of bucks more on a IEM's that doest have a issue with filters, and finally since thanks giving is a few weeks away would you think it would be better deal if i buy them then??

i am sorry for the loads of questions, there are the 1st IEM's i am getting so i wanna get a good pair.

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
I really do not understand why it is so difficult to find out a neutral, well balanced IEM with a great 3d, and tons of details.

I'll check RE0 and CK10.

May i make a suggestion:
I finally got my Phonak Audeo Perfect Bass Earphone as a birthday present to myself & was extremely pleased. The sound was so clear & pure. My previous headphones were the Sennheiser PX100, Koss Portapro & Audio Technica CK7. This Perfect Bass was almost better in everyway than the other headphones/earphones. I was also surprised how small & light they are. The fit is excellent & you don't feel like you have an earphone on. Also the all black color is extremely nice looking. Finally this earphone looks much better in person than it does in pics.  

The all black color looks nice. Oh another thing it's a well balanced iem with little more emphasis on bass.

I ordered from http://www.audeoworld.com/  and got free fed ex shipping & no sales tax. My package arrived in 3 days. $89 well spent.

You might also want to look at the Phonak PFE.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #28 of 39

Welcome to the family. Trade offs, trade offs, trade offs. IEM's that truly shine are composed of two or three drivers per earphone. In this configuration, the IEM can address frequency deficiencies of each driver through the use of crossovers. The RE0 is all about highs and can be a little too much for some.
Quote:
I really do not understand why it is so difficult to find out a neutral, well balanced IEM with a great 3d, and tons of details.

I'll check RE0 and CK10.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #29 of 39
However the HJE900 is a dynamic driver which has full range compared to a lot of single BA which does not. Also crossovers have their own issues as well.

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:
I'd give the Custom 3 and RE-ZERO a try. 

The man knows what he's talking about.

+1 from me , these 2 came to my mind too.

zero for more detail ,c3 for more thick sound.

(i have a pair of zero and think they're great , but c3 may be more to your appetite me thinks)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back