Abandoned Places in the World
Nov 9, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 21
Wow, thanks for the link. I Love that stuff and have traveled a little bit to abandoned towns in the Southwest United States. There is something eerie and unsettling about such locals, a bit like gazing upon a corpse in the morgue. My goal is to make an abandoned asylum, though this has become more difficult in the United States, because of demolition and tight security against squatters.

Here are a couple pics from my recent trip to Picher and Gardin, Oklahoma. The community is shadowed by giant chat piles that blew a toxic lead dust into town, which seeped into the water supply. Birth defects and other ailments followed, as is so common in such stories. The government has offered to buyout the residents of the now superfund site. A few steadfast souls remain and eyed my exploration with part apathy, part disdain.

Here are a couple of my photos. Much better can be found online through a "Tar Creek" search.

Nov 9, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #17 of 21
One more 'mainstream' abandoned place technically could be Pompeii. Abandoned in the sense that nobody lives there anymore, but obviously it has tons of tourists.

Perhaps Herculaneum might be a little more... Hrrm... 'Underground'.

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks_own /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read about Centralia not too long ago, actually.

I guess what happened is they used an old abandoned mine as a garbage dump, and set the garbage on fire. The fire caught onto some coal from the old mine, and has been going since. And I don't think it will run out of fuel for a long while.

So they can't get the fire out probably because it's almost impossible to access
confused_face_2.gif

I actually became interested in Centralia after the release of the Silent Hill film. Since then I did some research on underground mine fires. There are actually several other underground mine fires than just this one in the US. The fires are close to impossible to put out due to the depth and widespread range of the fires underground. Not to mention that the underground fires reach temperatures of over 1000 degrees. It's already hard enough for firefighters to contain wildfires. Imagine trying to do that to an underground fire where you don't even know where it's burning. The terrain where the fires are burning underneath are also hazardous. If you don't pass out and die from poisonous fumes pouring out of cracks in the earth, you can actually step on a weak spot and fall several hundred feet straight into the furnace to be cremated alive.
ph34r.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #19 of 21
well, isn't that delightful?
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 21
A volcano that wouldn't hesitate to form right under you to swallow you up alive.
smily_headphones1.gif
Fun stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back