AAC, MP3 or WMA
Sep 25, 2001 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 30
Don't mean to be a useless idiot - it's hard for me......
redface.gif
- but, I prefer ATRAC (Real Audio 8) to ALL of those.....at higher bitrates.....132+

Sep 25, 2001 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 30
braver.......look two or three posts up on the screen.........
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2001 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 30
I need an UNBIAS comment on that, preferably from a person who has an MP3/AAC player and a MD player. Portable of course since I'm thinking of which one I should be getting

Sep 26, 2001 at 2:17 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

I need an UNBIAS comment on that, preferably from a person who has an MP3/AAC player and a MD player. Portable of course since I'm thinking of which one I should be getting

I've heard a number of MP3 players, and a number of MD portables. Given good equipment (earphones, even an amp), MD simply sounds better at comparable bitrates (or even lower bitrates than MP3). HOWEVER, that may not matter. If you're going to be using the portable in very active and/or noisy environments, the truth is any difference in sound is going to be negligible. I'm going to assume that sound quality isn't the end-all criteria for your choice.

When comparing MD and MP3 players, more important than absolute sound quality IMO are your needs/intended uses. There are several different kinds of MP3 players: hard drive-based, solid state-based, and CD-based. They each have strengths and weaknesses, and advantages and disadvantages when compared to MD. You can't simply compare "MD vs. MP3."

Do you want absolute sound quality, portability, battery life, low total cost, and the ability to record on the run, and are you willing to bring along a number of discs and swap them out? MD is the way to go.

Do you want to be able to have lots and lots of music (maybe your entire collection) in a fairly small package, and are you willing to give up battery life, risk hard drive failure (low, but there), and pay a little more? A hard drive-based MP3 player is probably better.

Do you want the smallest possible unit with the best anti-shock, and are you willing to give up sound quality, battery life, storage capacity, and low price? Solid state MP3.

Finally, do you want cheap media and good storage capacity, and are you willing to give up shock resistance, small size, and battery life? CD-based MP3.

Figure out what YOU need, then decide on the best solution for YOU.

Sep 26, 2001 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 30
I want something that has (or exceeds) MD sound quality, and it won't be out-dated for at least 1.5 year. And I don't really mind carrying dozens of flash-cards with me, but still, sound is still the vital issue that I'm concerning.
Maybe I should wait for a couple months and see how the debate goes, I'm sure eventually we'll all agree that something's better then MD, and that day won't be long

Sep 26, 2001 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 30
Umm.....you want something that won't be outdated in five years? with MD-sound quality? get an MD!

There really is nothing out there that can compare.......MD stomps flash players....and HD players have their own problems.....

Sep 26, 2001 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 30
I agree with vij. Although it's easy to think that MD players are obsolete because every 6 months Sony comes out with a new model with new features, the models that exist are very fine and will remain great units for years to come. New features come around, units get smaller, battery life increases, but the unit you have doesn't get any worse.

Sep 26, 2001 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 30
Oops, sorry Odin.
smily_headphones1.gif
I had just taken what vij said. If you're looking to get one and a half years out of a portable player, then I'd definitely recommend a good portable MD recorder.

Sep 26, 2001 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

I want something that has (or exceeds) MD sound quality, and it won't be out-dated for at least 1.5 year. And I don't really mind carrying dozens of flash-cards with me, but still, sound is still the vital issue that I'm concerning.

Well if that's the case, then MD is the answer. One of our MD units, that we still use regularly, is a 1998 Sharp MD-MS702. Plays as well as any current unit. No MD unit will be "out-dated" in 1.5 years.

Sep 26, 2001 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 30
Eh - sorry, tho it should be noted that both DanG and I said MD would last another 5 years - 1.5 for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back