aac format
Dec 17, 2006 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bonethugz

500+ Head-Fier
i don't know which forum suit this but i'm using an ipod to test the files so i'll put it here. mod, feel free do move it to other forum
ok, i used to use 256 aac vbr with my ipod. the ipod harddisk died so i got a replacement from apple. anyway since i got my ipod, i've been using 320 aac instead of 256. and i think i can hear some improvement. am i wrong or i can really hear that tiny tiny difference? by the way i'm using the ipod is the 4th gen with a lineout, alo with a pa2v2 and k81dj.

Dec 17, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Only you can decide if you hear a difference or not.
AAC is a lossy codec, so it will never have the same quality as the original PCM stream.

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 11
any compression loses stuff. but it's quality can be the same if you can't hear the difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by james902 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any compression loses stuff.

What?
rolleyes.gif

Don't forget lossless compression, like ALAC, FLAC, WavPack, Zip, Rar, 7-Zip, ...

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by james902 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any compression loses stuff. but it's quality can be the same if you can't hear the difference
smily_headphones1.gif

i mean i suppose i can't hear the difference but i could, i think. i'm no audiophile and even audiophile can't hear that difference, i suppose. or at least from that setup. that's why i asked.

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i mean i suppose i can't hear the difference but i could, i think. i'm no audiophile and even audiophile can't hear that difference, i suppose. or at least from that setup. that's why i asked.

Why... why don't you just try and encode a few tracks to ALAC
cool.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

i don't know which forum suit this but i'm using an ipod to test the files so i'll put it here. mod, feel free do move it to other forum
ok, i used to use 256 aac vbr with my ipod. the ipod harddisk died so i got a replacement from apple. anyway since i got my ipod, i've been using 320 aac instead of 256. and i think i can hear some improvement. am i wrong or i can really hear that tiny tiny difference? by the way i'm using the ipod is the 4th gen with a lineout, alo with a pa2v2 and k81dj.

The easiest way to confirm whether you are actually hearing a difference is to use an ABX program. An ABX program lets you listen to 2 different files and compare them without knowing which is which. You can find a list of such programs here: http://www.pcabx.com/

My guess is that the ABX will reveal that you can't tell the difference. As krmathis noted, however, only you can decide if you hear a difference.

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

no i agree, it should be a very small notice, but i dont think its impossible. bass deepness is one of the more noticable feature with increase of bitrates. this simply means you have been taking care of your hearings and not blown it into oblivion.

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The easiest way to confirm whether you are actually hearing a difference is to use an ABX program. An ABX program lets you listen to 2 different files and compare them without knowing which is which. You can find a list of such programs here: http://www.pcabx.com/

My guess is that the ABX will reveal that you can't tell the difference. As krmathis noted, however, only you can decide if you hear a difference.

thanks i'll let you guys know how i do with this later.

Dec 19, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 11
Yes abxing is the way to truly know. If the source is your iPod then do the abxing on the iPod. Encode about 5 different songs (different genres preferably). incode one at 224 and keep the other WAV. Tittle them as such. Get a friend to select the song for you and have them write down the results (preferably not telling you till the end). The key is to see if you can tell the 224kbs from the original wav.

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the source is your iPod then do the abxing on the iPod.

It's much easier to do on the computer and should achieve the same end, since you're testing the codec and not the playback device. But if you want to do the ABX on the ipod itself, go to Hydrogen Audio and search for "ipod abx." It's a command line utility that will set up a proper ABX for the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back