A900 initial impressions alongside HD600
Sep 10, 2004 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BradJudy

500+ Head-Fier
I just received a pair of AudioTechnica ATH-A900 headphones that I bought off a fellow head-fier. I sat down for a while this evening to compare them with my existing phones, Sennheiser HD-600s (stock, also bought used from a fellow head-fier). I played some of my standard auditioning tracks (Yo-Yo Ma, Natalie Merchant, Allison Kraus, Orlando Cachaito Lopez, James Taylor, etc) on my Pioneer 563a -> Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0 -> META42 (AD 8620).

While the HD-600s are my standard pair, I bought the A900s as I wasn't sure if they were the best match for me. I also owned a pair of Grado SR-80s which I also liked.

So far, I find the A900s to be a bit of a disappointment. Most notably, they don't sound as clean as the HD-600s (or my speakers either - Ascend Acoustics and Aurum Cantus). It's like they very slightly muddle the sound. They also don't have as tight of bass (I recently picked up the DDE 3.0 used and noticed that it improved the bass on both my speakers and headphones).

I also find them a little less comfortable than the 600s, but that is largely because I like the feel of the velour pads more than the pleather ones.

I certainly will have to do more listening, but my first impression is that the search may continue.

Sep 10, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 20
Thank you for posting your impressions. I was strongly considering a purchase of the A900's a few weeks ago but a few things have kept me from following through. Mostly comments from people here about an annoying resonance due to the aluminum chambers, and also some comments about vocals being thin and "fake" sounding. However, a lot of people will agree that the A900's are fun-sounding and well rounded headphones that are easy to drive and work well with most any type of music. Before I'd actually purchase a set though, I'd really prefer to be able to audition them. If a fellow Head-Fi member would allow me to use their set of A900's for a week or two, I'd be very grateful...
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Thank you for posting your impressions. I was strongly considering a purchase of the A900's a few weeks ago but a few things have kept me from following through. Mostly comments from people here about an annoying resonance due to the aluminum chambers, and also some comments about vocals being thin and "fake" sounding. However, a lot of people will agree that the A900's are fun-sounding and well rounded headphones that are easy to drive and work well with most any type of music. Before I'd actually purchase a set though, I'd really prefer to be able to audition them. If a fellow Head-Fi member would allow me to use their set of A900's for a week or two, I'd be very grateful...
biggrin.gif

You already have two good sounding cans,one of wich,the hd595,being quite close to A900 in sound signature.I think it makes the most sense to get one good pair of cans,decent source first.Then get an amp,and only then may be alternative headphones model.

Sep 10, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 20
I recently got my ATH-A900's also, but my initial impressions seem to be a little different than yours. The bass is definitely better than my old Senn. 580's. Way better. The lows are far more powerfull, my 580's can't touch them there. As for the mid's, I'd say they're about the same. When I first listened to them I thought they were about the same, yet the A900's seemed a little brighter. The high's really came through. I do mis the opennes of the 580's, but I needed a closed phone. Overall I think they are a very nice step up, but they are different. I definitely don't regret selling my 580's and getting these. They're not a world of difference, but to me they do all the 580's do, and then some.

My biggest beef with the A900's is that they aren't as comfortable as my 580's, but I think thats because they're still new. Though I hate, absolutely hate this leather pad crap. My ears get soo sweaty(its been hot lately). I miss that soft 580 material.

Sep 10, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadobhuk
You already have two good sounding cans,one of wich,the hd595,being quite close to A900 in sound signature.I think it makes the most sense to get one good pair of cans,decent source first.Then get an amp,and only then may be alternative headphones model.

Well first of all I just sold my HD 595 to a fellow Head-Fi member. I enjoyed the sound but I have Alessandro MS2's on order and I couldn't justify keeping that many sets of cans around. If the A900 is truly like the 595, I may very well like it...but I have to wonder if the A900 is like a 595, only with the disadvantages that come along with a closed headphone. Don't get me wrong; there are advantages to closed headphones (such as isolation) but most people seem to prefer the sound of an open phone.

I agree that I am long overdue for a source upgrade. I will have one as soon as I can decide between the AV-710 and the E-MU 0404. I'm still up in the air about an amp but I think something like a Go-Vibe or Porta Corda would suit me pretty well for the time being. I'm not ready to spend the money for a PPA or Gilmore Lite yet, but that's OK because my source doesn't warrant having that kind of amp anyway.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Well first of all I just sold my HD 595 to a fellow Head-Fi member. I enjoyed the sound but I have Alessandro MS2's on order and I couldn't justify keeping that many sets of cans around. If the A900 is truly like the 595, I may very well like it...but I have to wonder if the A900 is like a 595, only with the disadvantages that come along with a closed headphone. Don't get me wrong; there are advantages to closed headphones (such as isolation) but most people seem to prefer the sound of an open phone.

I agree that I am long overdue for a source upgrade. I will have one as soon as I can decide between the AV-710 and the E-MU 0404. I'm still up in the air about an amp but I think something like a Go-Vibe or Porta Corda would suit me pretty well for the time being. I'm not ready to spend the money for a PPA or Gilmore Lite yet, but that's OK because my source doesn't warrant having that kind of amp anyway.
wink.gif

Whoa, i didn't realize you ran your 580's with no amp. I would definitely get an amp first. CMOY def. for starters. Then get that AV-710. When you're ready to get serious, get a PPA(I am soon), then the E-MU 1212.

Edit: I rember when I got my amp, it transformed my 580's. Paired with the AV-710, audio bliss. Though the audigy 2 i had was good paired with my amp. Wasn't as clear as the 710 though.

Sep 10, 2004 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 20
If u end up getting 0404 then it will warrant having any of those two and even more expansive ones.

Sep 10, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #8 of 20
'Something about this site that makes me keep coming back, stupid, screw*ing head-fi...

Anyways, the A900 get really comfy after they loosen up. I had the same problem, sweating due to hot weather, but I have absolutely no problems anymore.

Don't have the 580 or the 600, but the bass on the A900 rocks! I thought they were a bit muddy too, rather unspectacular when I first got them, but they definitely benefit from burn-in

Sep 10, 2004 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilson
Anyways, the A900 get really comfy after they loosen up. I had the same problem, sweating due to hot weather, but I have absolutely no problems anymore.

So first you got sweating ear-areas, and then it stopped?! Please elaborate. It is one of the things that keeps me from just-getting-the-freakin'-A900-come-on-I-want-them mode, I hate that kind of sweating, and I love my HD-600s for not giving me that problem.

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #10 of 20
The A900 vs. HD580/600 question I think depends strongly on what level of amp you have.
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
The A900 vs. HD580/600 question I think depends strongly on what level of amp you have.
tongue.gif

I can certainly test them unamped (in my H/K receiver, old Marantz receiver, and iRiver player) and I am in the process of building a PPA, so I should be able to try them both on that as well.

Sep 12, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #12 of 20
The 900's have more bass than say the 555's. But! The quality just isn't there.
Nowhere near as tight. Again, it's a matter of quality vs quantity
smily_headphones1.gif
I suspect
IMD is quite bad on these phones.

Also, the 900's are a very *slow*. Almost any precussion instrument sounds bad. Drums in rock songs in particular. After listening to these cans, I think manufacturers should also put out some info about transient response. The 900's many have good sine wave freq response, but that's not enough to me
redface.gif

On the bright side, the 900's have far wider soundstage (for cans).

Sep 12, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by gaboo
The 900's have more bass than say the 555's. But! The quality just isn't there.
Nowhere near as tight. Again, it's a matter of quality vs quantity
smily_headphones1.gif
I suspect
IMD is quite bad on these phones.

Also, the 900's are a very *slow*. Almost any precussion instrument sounds bad. Drums in rock songs in particular. After listening to these cans, I think manufacturers should also put out some info about transient response. The 900's many have good sine wave freq response, but that's not enough to me
redface.gif

On the bright side, the 900's have far wider soundstage (for cans).

The last time I heard the 555's they had a very tight snappy bass that made percussion sound great, so I can see why the A900 might not be up to such a challenge. The 555's wiped the floor with the K240S in that dept.

Sep 13, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #15 of 20
I second that...looking for a comparison between the 600s and the W1000s. Did not find any in my searches.

I want the W1000s but worry about the bass and the sweaty ears from the pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back