A worthy upgrade?
Jun 10, 2012 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Destroysall

Headphoneus Supremus
I have this old Panasonic SC-AK520 "Mini System" 2.1 set that I had laying around and have been using them for a while now as Computer Speakers.  I loved them since I got them!  The sound stage is very nice and instrument separation is decent as well (could be a tad better, but I can live without).  The bass, adequate and punchy; the mids, warm and full; the treble, sweet.  With that being said, the background is also decently black.

Now here is the thing.  I connect the Mini System with my old M-Audio Fast Track USB Interface, and I have been wanting a tad more clarity.  I think the M-Audio might be the weak link in the chain, and was wondering if I should replace my M-Audio Interface with a better DAC or upgrade entirely to maybe a pair of Swans? 

Here is the specifications from the Panasonic website regarding the Mini System.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SC-AK520?t=specs&support#tabs

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 9
If you switch over to a more traditional pair of stereo speakers, I would expect a loss of low-end impact. You might get more detail/clarity though, it's tough to say without comparing them in your specific environment. Best advice: wander into a pro shop and try out their active monitors and see if anything tickles you (and then see if you can afford it :p). It may be that nothing in your price-range is going to do much better for you, or maybe there's huge gains to be had. Again, tough to say. The biggest differences will come from the speakers themselves, but upstream components do matter at some point. So I'd decide on what you want speakers-wise (which is really a matter of experience) and then decide on other equipment.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #3 of 9
You will get significantly more for your money in upgrading the speakers than 'upgrading' the DAC. But, of course, your budget plays a big part of that.

There is significant disagreement over whether DACs have any influence on the sound at all. It is, however, absolutely certain that an upgrade to Swans will have a much larger impact on the overall sound than any new DAC would.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 9
Maybe try going to a second-hand shop like a pawn shop or a thrift store. That's where I got my Infinity speakers, plus a receiver given to me by my uncle. Not a bad setup for $100.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #5 of 9
Maybe try going to a second-hand shop like a pawn shop or a thrift store.

Also a really good idea. You'd be amazed how much of my gear is second-hand and what kind of savings it means. The other advantage to second-hand shops is that they usually don't care if you test the equipment out right there in the store (in some cases they even advocate it) - so you can get an idea of what you're buying.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 9
That makes a lot of sense.  There aren't too many audio places, or places that sell so many Hi-Fi related products in Arizona (or at least that I know of).  Yet I will check out some of those second-hand shops.  I always see so many pawn shops and thrift stores when driving around town, so I'll check some out one day.

What are some good speaker brands to keep an eye out for?  Other than the known (JBL, Infinity, Polk Audio, etc.).

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
That makes a lot of sense.  There aren't too many audio places, or places that sell so many Hi-Fi related products in Arizona (or at least that I know of).  Yet I will check out some of those second-hand shops.  I always see so many pawn shops and thrift stores when driving around town, so I'll check some out one day.

What are some good speaker brands to keep an eye out for?  Other than the known (JBL, Infinity, Polk Audio, etc.).

About the only obscure brand I ever saw were some Jamos. I would keep an eye out for some white van brands, like MTS which is a common one, they'll usually have names that are played off of other brands like MXT or Klipps (names like that). You don't want those. Otherwise, they usually just have more common brands but some good deals nonetheless.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 9
About the only obscure brand I ever saw were some Jamos. I would keep an eye out for some white van brands, like MTS which is a common one, they'll usually have names that are played off of other brands like MXT or Klipps (names like that). You don't want those. Otherwise, they usually just have more common brands but some good deals nonetheless.

+1 on the whitevan stuff. And most of the second-hand people I've worked with have no clue about such scams, and usually the seller/donator is equally oblivious (and the scam perpetuates) or knows it's a scam and scams the shop (and the scam perpetuates).

Some other older brands that might be worth looking for:

Advent
Technics/Panasonic (the old stuff is not like the new stuff)
Sony (see above)
Bose (but watch out with some of their speakers - they may require additional hardware that may not be included; the 901 is the quintessential example but all of the Acoustimass series require the appropriate bass module/filter network to work correctly as well (they have no internal crossovers!))
Yamaha
Sansui
Tannoy
AKAI
harman/kardon
Denon
Sherwood
Marantz
JVC
Zenith
etc

Basically any of the big names, and remember that used equipment can also mean vintage equipment - so you can think about JVC, Technics, AKAI, Sherwood, Sansui, etc in context of "hi-fi audiophile gear" because in the 1970s and 1980s they were. As an example, both of my CDPs are JVCs and both are from second-hand shops - they're also both pristine machines. It's disgusting how little I paid for them too. Having said all of this, do a little research on the individual piece you're looking at buying, especially with receivers/players/etc - a lot of these companies have turned out thousands of models and some of them are not so great for a variety of reasons. And remember to test any component in-store before you buy; it's not uncommon for people to use these kinds of shops as a dumpster.

Oh, and don't be too weirded out if you find more modern equipment from brands like Definitive or Mirage as well - again, remember the dumpster mentality, especially if you live in a wealthier area where people are likely to unload equipment with no concern for costs. This can also be a great find.

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 9
There is an ongoing Vintage speaker thread here and you could ask around there as many peeps fished out some stunning buys i see 
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back