A warm-ish DAC upgrade?
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sorensiim

Headphoneus Supremus
XbOXP1b2eM5EP0ELRhZ734BpciG1YRJJJn_Fn_05IDFnunJNLs6wb5Wf_A9hKairTMUMBwpnBpe66tyFLwHerc6llRjGKSLHCg6DlCesb8IPmhKXfiKsbu3WLt17IKzvGnfJR7xT4UF5wIAUfAZcJKOwYhI8ixdNd1o7lyH3CNSVXMUlEM53x9aiZ61oXTitEYaj0yTk8g9AdOEeOLEk64vk9qACQjJsXDDdC-Uo7UNhTYGJ194pbmFJjxTL9tqYwtCX_N78ytkqVTjGhjtsrTYa1xFOb0kYrFgpuEVbIGKBd8pjdwxrYJialnSTO6bRrWY28MpZMuYZ1OdPakT4uNOE4YKwZ-_hjMXMn006YyNR5JYCHLqr6E3Mk3Snqxf15JC8pg9mBo2fU-3NcoUstNUN2y9EKhRpBXbV3kBQcrK-8tlRypIvBLTNOgtd5UrWbI4T-zQj2dn-hokHupMdLSxpDt9lprAMNiqRMJbgAd_Ro80JC7GrGaICgKdmgcD6odE6tFp41vVDT24FxJCNgrQa75y2krcqCI6p7a2Qs5EMIfrVqSBq9pKBmH5kxVg9mECfwKaetXwQ0vesEwAo0I1VqEWGGfpyOBiZ0acy=w1080-h565-no

Just upgraded my desktop monitors to the seriously impressive Adam Audio T7Vs. I'm currently feeding them through an Audioquest Dragonfly Black and while I like the sound signature, the Dragonfly was completely blown out of the water when I swapped in my Chord Mojo instead. However, as these are professional studio monitors, they are revealing and merciless. Using the Mojo, cymbals and some guitar riffs (Rage Against The Machine - Take The Power Back) get a little too hot at times. I use the Mojo with my CIEMs at work, so now I'm looking for a competent, but not overly bright USB DAC to feed my monitors. I only use this setup when I'm working from home, so I'm not looking to spend more than $300. A built-in headphone amp would be cool, but not necessary. A variable line-out is, however, absolutely necessary. I'd prefer something with on-chip volume control from Windows, but a knob on the front would be just as fine.

Top of my short list right now is the Topping D50, but I'm a bit worried about that Sabre ESS sound being too bright when paired with the Adam monitors.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 7
Interesting, since the Mojo is one of the more laid back DACs out there.

You probably want a NOS R2R DAC, they tend to take on a more laid back response. I think the only option in a lower price range is Metrum's lowest end model (forgot the name).

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 7
ifi idsd nano bl for the sound signature, though you may need to 2x check if the line out is adjusted by the volume control (I am not sure if it is).

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 7
The Mojo is already a very warm DAC. Ive yet to hear a DAC that is much warmer.
Personally if you find the combo too hot for your ears I'd look into a pair of different monitors.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 7
I would agree also that the Mojo is far from bright. The Dragon Fly Black has I think a 1.2 volt output and the Mojo when set to line out is a bit over 3 volts so that might have something to do with why it sounded so different. Most standard line outs tend to be in the 2 volt range so that might be why your monitors are not sounding as bright with the black.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 7
The Mojo is already a very warm DAC. Ive yet to hear a DAC that is much warmer.
Personally if you find the combo too hot for your ears I'd look into a pair of different monitors.

Ultimately I agree with this. DACs don't get much... less bright than the Mojo.

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #7 of 7
Looks like I need to give the Mojo some more time... Maybe it was just revealing a few bad recordings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back