A visit to the Sony and Audio Technica Headquarters
Jul 24, 2004 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
I just got back from a trip from Japan, and I am duly impressed by the hospitality and service of the Japanese manufacturers, especially Audio Technica. I have studied Japanese culture and speak Japanese, so it was not totally unexpected, but it was still amazing. Well, Sony first. The Sony building in Ginza, Tokyo, is a large, modern building which encases the treasures of one of the most advanced electronics manufacturing companies in the world. There are six floors of displays, the second floor is a partnership with BMW and has a new wagon that they are coming out with. As the floors get higher, the merchandise increases in quality. The lower levels are the newer minidisk and portable cd players, followed by VAIO computers, plasma TV’s and the high end audio. The top floor is the new Qualia showroom. I spoke to one of the Qualia salespeople, and she gave me the opportunity to listen to the new Qualia 010 headphones…the replacement for the MDR-R10 “king” headphones. I had a fairly short audition with them (15 minutes), listening to Glen Gould’s Goldberg variations, Bob Dylan’s Highway 61 revisited and Norah Jones’s album. They sounded good, felt excellent and looked great. The amp was the new qualia amplifier, which also doubled as an SACD player. It was fair. Some of the combinations I have heard (including my own) have bested it, but I think they are excellent headphones. I would rate them below the R-10’s, but better than the HD-600s with normal amplification. I would need extended comparative listening to see if they were really as world class as they purport to be. After the listening session, the saleswoman asked that I fill out a questionnaire about my experience. At the risk of offense (I told her this), I answered completely truthfully. I felt that the Qualia headphones were excellent, though a bit too bright, and did not offer performance relative to their price point (they list at about 2000 dollars). In my opinion, they are certainly not 4 times better than the HD-650s, though they are an excellent and comfortable headphone. The saleswoman was very polite, and thanked me for my opinions and asked that I come again. The service was top notch, and I encourage anyone who visits Tokyo to make the effort to stop by and try for themselves.

As for Audio Technica – I stumbled upon the building totally randomly. I study Russian and Japanese cultural relations, and it just so happens that one of the centers of Russo-Japanese interaction, the Nikolai Cathedral in Ochanomizu is very near the Audio Technica building. As I was out looking for lunch in Ochanomizu, I saw the Audio Technica sign on a building. I went in and told the receptionist that I was an American headphone enthusiast interested in AT headphones, and asked if they had a showroom (such as Sony and many of the other large Japanese firms). She replied that they did not, but they had a small display in the lobby of the Leatherheads a Marantz SACD player and the Air ATH-AD10 headphones. She invited me to sit down, and called a representative from the company (I did not really know what they were doing). The man came down and invited me to listen to the headphones. (Keep in mind at this point that was a sweaty gaijin (foreigner…it was about 98 degrees) who had just randomly wandered in off the street). When he realized there was no amp, he asked the receptionist to call the advertising department, and they brought me down some chilled green tea. As I sat sipping green tea, an advertising tech setup AT’s new ATH-DA3000 digital amplifier for me to listen to. They answered all my questions, and hooked up the two headphones to the new amp and let me listen, even providing a beatles cd. Though those at the socal meet may remember that I felt that the leatherheads were really not on the level of the greater phones (R-10, HP1000, PS-1, HD-650), I felt that in this setup they faired very very well. From a very brief listening session, I think that the new digital amplifier is very very good. I don’t know that I would pay 3000 bucks for it, but I think that the leatherheads sounded better to me out of it than they have out of anything else. Well, in any case, the service and consideration that AT had for just a random guy off the street is astounding, and I would be proud to own any of their products from here forward. This is just a brief report of some impressions of the Tokyo headphone scene. My apologies…I spent most of my time in the used camera equipment stores…nevertheless, I hope these comments will be of use to someone.

Jul 24, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 19
Thanks for the report, Stu...sound's like you had a blast!
I'm especially interested in hearing more comments from members who get a chance to listen to the Sony Qualias, but, with top-notch amplification in the future.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 19
Stuart,

Thank you very much for the report. That takes a load off of my bank account, as I now will not feel the need to immediately rush out to buy the Qualia headphone.

Additionally, you may be one of the first people to report back on that expensive digital amp from AT. I've always wondered about it, but could not bring myself to pull the trigger, sight/sound unseen or even reported.

Jul 24, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 19
Rick -- I agree. This was directly out of the jack on the qualia sacd player, so who knows how good it was. The soundstage on the phones was phenomenal, and I am sure they would wear like nothing at all once you adjust them to your size (they have three headband sizes and are very customizeable). To me they sounded very good with the Norah Jones and the Goldberg variations (more than enough detail to bring out Gould's astoundingly annoying humming, hissing and sputtering over the keys), but they made Bob Dylan sound very tinny and weak, which is not something I was fond of. I think the leatherheads out of the AT digital amp sounded better to me. I actually really liked the AT's open air phones as well. But once again, I must issue a HUGE caveat -- I had been stumbling around the wilderness of Tohoku for 2 weeks before this, only really listening to a mini-ipod and MX-500s (very occasionally etys), so I did not have the quality of my setup, or any other very good setup here at the front of my mind.
Smokey -- the AT amp seems pretty slick to me. I had nothing to compare it to, but I think it matched the leatherheads well, and like I said before, this was the only time that I have heard the leatherheads and liked them(in this case, a lot). BUT, it is also the only time I have heard the leatherheads without having immediately switched from an R-10 or HP-2, so go figure.

Jul 24, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 19
What a really cool experience! Thanks for the report. I am really not surprised at the hospitality you received. It seems from my first hand experiences, the Japanese people on the whole are some of the most accommodating and giving people on this earth.

I am really pleased to read your impressions on some top gear. The fact that the Qualia's didn't stand out as an overachiever makes my wallet happy as well. After hearing the R10's, 650's and PS-1's, I'm in no hurry to run right after them, though in perfectly financed world, I could have them now
wink.gif
But the Qualia's intrigued me based on their open design. Perhaps I can hold off (there is no Qualia store even remotely close to me) hearing them as I am avoiding listening to the Omega II's
smily_headphones1.gif

As an aside, perhaps the Leatherheads and their digi amp can be compared with the RS-1/RA-1 combo. A Magical synergy that needs to be heard to appreciate. I guess in some ways we just didn't pair the Leatherheads with their top mate.

Jul 24, 2004 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 19
Glad you had a great time Stuart, that you had *some* time for headphones on your trip. It's too bad I couldnt stow myself away in your luggage like I had hoped.

Ah, I miss Tokyo. Ochanomizu brings back memories.

Be sure to update your site with any pics from your trip, I'd love to see them
biggrin.gif

(oh and look, I joined your club--see sig)

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 19
I have heard the AT-DHA3000 (this is the correct model number, startr got it a bit wrong.
tongue.gif
) multiple times since there is a floor demo available at a store not too far from my grandparents' place in tokyo. the bad thing is I never got to try them with the ATH-L3000 since the only headphones available for audition with the amp were the ATH-W1000. despite that, I did find it to be a very good amp with the ATH-W1000, and compared to the Luxman P1 that was beside it, it had a much warmer and richer sound. I haven't considered purchasing it yet due to its high cost and exclusive digital (toslink and coax) inputs but I really should think about it considering the number of AT headphones I have. also, most of the auditioning was done before I came to Head-Fi so I really didn't know what to look for either, which didn't help... and I didn't have much time to audition it this summer during my short visit either.

the build quality of the AT-DHA3000 is superb. the volume knob is smooth and the controls are easy to operate. the wooden sides are a nice touch too. the only problem I saw was the top metal place was quite thin and didn't feel that it was up to the quality of the rest of the amp.

here's a picture of the inside of the AT-DHA3000 I found at the Audio-Technica site:
AT-DHA3000.jpg

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
The only problem I saw was the top metal place was quite thin and didn't feel that it was up to the quality of the rest of the amp.

It's supposed to be like that, it's part of their new IMPRSM features. It's meant to be light and easy to take off, to impressthem
tongue.gif
, them being your friends
biggrin.gif

joking aside, sounds like the 3000 digital amp might be good...too bad I don't have 3000 dollars, since all of my sources are digital
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #9 of 19
the only problem I have is I don't think any of the high resolution digital sources, such as SACD or DVD-A, outputs digital data in a nonencrypted format like the ones on the AT-DHA3000. if this isn't the case, then I'll be happy to hear about it since that is one of the main reasons for not owning the amp.

Jul 25, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #13 of 19
What a great experience, Stuartr, thanks for sharing. Tell me, please, I understand you are fluent in Japanese - but do you feel that an English-only speaker would have had a chance to receive the same treatment?

Jul 25, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #14 of 19
Thanks for the report. But, as far as the Qualia comments go, this is just *one* data point on these headphones, in an unfamiliar environment, on totally unfamiliar gear, and even unfamiliar music. To me, this is not a definitive statement about them (not that stuartr ever claimed it was), that would enable people seriously considering them to "close their wallets". And even still, he seems to feel they are better than the HD600 but not as good as the R10s, which is in line with their asking price which falls between the two.

So, aren't people being a little hasty in dismissing them based on this single data point of very anecdotal evidence? I think so, FWIW. I'm still looking forward to the Qualias (though for financial reasons, I do hope they aren't in fact as good as the R10s to me).
orphsmile.gif
Let's see how they hold up under lengthy in-home trials with a variety of ears/sources/amps, and under the scrutiny of many many Head-Fi meets.

Mark

Jul 26, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Perhaps the Qualia 010 has not met it's ideal amp yet.

Perhaps, or maybe Qualia hasn't matured yet? That leads me to wonder..will there be another generation of Qualia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back