A Visit to Decware
Mar 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #17 of 152
Eric,

VERY well done, thanks so much for the time you took to put this post together wow! I loved reading it and seeing the pictures! I could see this being an article published in one of the big HiFi mags. I like when they do a "Inside [insert HiFi company]" feature of a manufacturer. It brings you closer to the company for sure, if that makes sense..

I think a near field speaker system will be my thing for some time, being in small apartments in NYC. So having an amp that not only powers my headphones, but can also bring wonderful sounds to some small speakers is always appealing to me. :)

I look forward to your impressions when you get your Taboo and I won't ask you too much now. But I would like to know if you had a chance to hear some of the Decware speakers with JUST the new Taboo, OR if the new Taboo was always connected to the CSP2+ preamp? I get the sense that the CSP2+ will bring a little more "fullness" to the overall sound with the new Taboo, but I'm just curious how the Taboo sounded on it's own :)

Thanks Eric, YOU ROCK!

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #18 of 152
Great write-up and pictures Eric - thanks!! A bit of history there about how Steve started I didn't know, as well as how he designs and tunes. I will have questions in due course.

HPDJ, I just went back to listening to my Taboo/LCD2 without the CSP2+ in the last 24 hours. I think I prefer the sound this way. It's leaner, more transparent and neutral - just how I like it. Without doubt my desktop speakers benefit very much with the CSP2+ in circuit though. The new Taboo with its higher gain might not need the extra help.

(As a new experiment, am about to move the CSP2+ into my main speaker rig. Should be interesting).

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #19 of 152
Great write up and pictures.  Thanks!

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #20 of 152
Quote:
Enjoyed the write-up! Thanks for bringing us to East Peoria and Decware.

Thanks SO. It was a nice change seeing everything up close.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #21 of 152
Eric, great review. I almost feeli like it was there in person. All you are missing is the audio!

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #22 of 152
Quote:
I look forward to your impressions when you get your Taboo and I won't ask you too much now. But I would like to know if you had a chance to hear some of the Decware speakers with JUST the new Taboo, OR if the new Taboo was always connected to the CSP2+ preamp? I get the sense that the CSP2+ will bring a little more "fullness" to the overall sound with the new Taboo, but I'm just curious how the Taboo sounded on it's own :)

Thanks Eric, YOU ROCK!

Thanks for the kind words HPDJ.

I spent about an hour with the Taboo running as amp only with the CSP2+ in Pre-amp position and the DM945 bookshelf speakers. Fabulous near field experience. I did not listen to only the taboo and speakers. When I asked Steve about the combination of the Taboo and CSP2+ he said the CSP2+ in the chain will give more substance to the sound. My translation of his very patient engineer to non-engineer explanation is that, for speakers, it is a very useful combo. For HP only, we'll see if the CSP2+ is still is necessary considering his additions to the new Taboo.

Interesting, he said that the best sound he has heard was the CSP2+ feeding the Ultra Pre-amp into the Torii Monos. Sometimes audio is voodoo and what the math says doesn't always come out the same when the music is playing. That is part of the fun of it, I think.

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #23 of 152
Hi Eric,

Your review is really fantastic!

Really captures the Decware "spirit". 

I agree with HPDJ's comment.
Your write-up is so professionally done that it warrants a place in any of the Hifi mags out there.

When I was waiting for my CSP2+, I also made it a point to check the build status every day.....and night. :wink:

Hope you get your special amp soon!

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #24 of 152
Thanks Lord Soth. Reading about your experiences with your Decware was part of why I chose the CSP2+. I am trying to not watch the list every day. Sarah said it will make the wait longer and she is right!

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #29 of 152
Enjoyed that thanks. That Teres turntable...
tongue_smile.gif

Eric, were you impressed with the LCD2's enough to purchase a pair in the future?

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #30 of 152
Thanks for chiming in AiDee, very cool that for headphones your pretty happy with the Taboo alone!

Also, Eric I don't know if anyone ever mentioned this but I saw a picture of your headphone rig weeks ago on CNET (The Audiophiliac). It must have been cool to see it posted among some other pretty fantastic rigs out there in the world....BUT, he said your amp was a Bottlehead! I was like "NO IT"S A DECWARE!" hahaha :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back