A Sansa e250 fresh from the washing machine
May 25, 2008 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
I just finished opening my sons e250 after it took a trip in the washer. Will it be revived after a day or two with the board free to dry? I figured I'd give it some heat by laying it above my Rotel amp which stays at around 120 degrees.

If it's dead, no big deal. I only paid $65 for 4 of them so I have spares. This is why he doesn't have a $200 iPod yet.

May 26, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just finished opening my sons e250 after it took a trip in the washer. Will it be revived after a day or two with the board free to dry? I figured I'd give it some heat by laying it above my Rotel amp which stays at around 120 degrees.

If it's dead, no big deal. I only paid $65 for 4 of them so I have spares. This is why he doesn't have a $200 iPod yet.

I've heard of dunked Sansas that lived and that didn't. Sometimes they come out of it with intermittent weirdnesses. But you did the best thing... opening it and giving it low steady heat. Hopefully you didn't try to turn it on?

May 26, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks guys. I did not try to power it up. Removing the battery is a must in order to reveal the circuit board. I plan to let it dry out for a few more days before putting it back together. I'll post the results.

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 10
Well a few days ago I gave it a go but it would only power up via USB. I swapped batteries with another e250 I have and it works fine.

Does anyone know where to find a compatible battery for an e250?

Jun 10, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well a few days ago I gave it a go but it would only power up via USB. I swapped batteries with another e250 I have and it works fine.

Does anyone know where to find a compatible battery for an e250?

Got a picture? The majority of lithium-ion-polymer batteries used in small electronics can be interchanged - all LiPo cells have a 3.7 volt nominal voltage, with 4.2 volts fresh off the charger. (The slightly rarer lithium-ion NON-polymer cells are 3.6 volts nominal and 4.1 off the charger - you can swap the former for the latter, but not the other way around.)

Of course, there are some variations. Some mp3 players may use multiple cells in series for greater voltages, while others may have a third lead attached to a thermal monitoring device on the battery itself. Be prepared for fiddly work with a soldering iron.

I would recommend using one of the high-quality cells designed for R/C airplane use, such as Kokam or E-Tec. These cells are very well-made, easily purchased individually, and quite cheap - $5 to $10. The downside of such cells is that they're not likely to fit very well, and you may lose some battery life in favor of finding a battery that fits.

That, or you can sell it to me so that it may be combined into yet another frankenstinian project. :p

EDIT:

You are very, very lucky. 99% of non-hard drive Mp3 players do not have separate batteries.

SanDisk Sansa e250/e270/e280 Rechargable Li-Ion Battery - eBay (item 260248188430 end time Jun-12-08 03:12:55 PDT)

Jun 10, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the info and link Spasticteapot.

I was hoping for it to be around $5 but I was afraid shipping would be as much as the battery itself.

Since I have 4 of these players I might just sit on the battery-less player for backup.

Jun 10, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #10 of 10
1) Remove the battery
2) Dry your phone
3) Soak in Alcohol
4) Let your phone dry
5) Start using it again

Cell Phones: Save your wet cell phone
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back