A sad generation.
Dec 21, 2007 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 74

Audio-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
Dec 21, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 74
They should go back to the south or wherever they came from. Yesterday, my english teacher was making fun of the spears family. Just sad.

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 74
Well, if parent can't bring themselves to overcome the embarrassment of talking to their kids about pregnancy and its repurcussions at earlier ages, indeed we headed for a sad generation.

By 16, kids should be well versed in the 'birds and the bees' and fully understand why 'having relations' at that age is inappropriate and the potential consequences and implications.

Better parenting will help this.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #4 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if parent can't bring themselves to overcome the embarrassment of talking to their kids about pregnancy and its repurcussions at earlier ages, indeed we headed for a sad generation.

By 16, kids should be well versed in the 'birds and the bees' and fully understand why 'having relations' at that age is inappropriate and the potential consequences and implications.

Better parenting will help this.

What's wrong with safe sex?

I agree that unprotected sex is bad, but just because it is dangerous. (EG. transfer of diseases, potential for pregnancy.)

It's the abstinence-only sex education that causes crap like this. I grew up learning about safe sex, and no kids in my school ever got pregnant.

Then again, sometimes people are just dumb. It happens.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #5 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with safe sex?

I agree that unprotected sex is bad, but just because it is dangerous. (EG. transfer of diseases, potential for pregnancy.)

It's the abstinence-only sex education that causes crap like this. I grew up learning about safe sex, and no kids in my school ever got pregnant.

Then again, sometimes people are just dumb. It happens.

There is no such thing as safe sex. Protection will NOT prevent the spread of viral STD's such as Herpes and HPV (Genital Warts). 1 in 5 Americans have Herpes, and HPV rates have been estimated anywhere between 30% and 50%. Not to mention the link between sexually active teenagers with depression and suicide.

Honestly, sex is something on every teenagers mind, but by no means is a teenager at 15 mentally prepared.

Dec 21, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 74
can-of-worms.jpg

Sorry, just had to do that
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 74
I don't view that 'having relations' at 16 as inappropriate. As long as the couple are well educated about sex - a condom is used, and they know what to do in the event of it breaking. Geeze, I had sex not too long after my 15th birthday, and I'm still with the girl today (2½ years). I have been taught about sex from school at the age of 11. I think by the time you're 16, most of us are mature enough to have a sexual relationship and accept any consequences - I sure am. However, I do understand there are people out there who are blatantly dumb, and end up pregnant.
There was a debate in school about moving the age of having a lesson of sex education up from 11, and wait until they are 12-13. People need to be educated fully on the matter, earlier the better.

Dec 21, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no such thing as safe sex. Protection will NOT prevent the spread of viral STD's such as Herpes and HPV (Genital Warts). 1 in 5 Americans have Herpes, and HPV rates have been estimated anywhere between 30% and 50%. Not to mention the link between sexually active teenagers with depression and suicide.

Honestly, sex is something on every teenagers mind, but by no means is a teenager at 15 mentally prepared.

Safe sex doesn't just mean condoms. It means being sensible in every aspect of your sexual practice. I.e., visiting the sexual health clinic, which WOULD help stop the spread of HPV and Herpes.

And the link between sex and suicide is epidemiologically very shaky...

Dec 21, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 74
makes me laugh, a lot of my peers and colleagues, in 07 still think that cause "she's on the pill mate, she wont get pregnant!" means its safe sex, the idiots are forgetting about the STD's, and there reasoning is i dont like the feel of a condom!!! see how you like the feel of a nasty disease or worse!

Team no sympathy for people with an inbuilt self destruct button

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Safe sex doesn't just mean condoms. It means being sensible in every aspect of your sexual practice. I.e., visiting the sexual health clinic, which WOULD help stop the spread of HPV and Herpes.

And the link between sex and suicide is epidemiologically very shaky...

I highly doubt any 16 year old is going to go visit the sexual health clinic until they have some major problems...

Teenagers aren't mature, and can't make decisions anywhere near the level as a fully developed adult. This means decisions on education, sex, drugs, alcohol, driving, you name it. While in adolescence we always believe to be more mature than we are. Not until years later you can look back and realize how you couldn't really comprehend the choices and consequences that were faced.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 74
What is especially ironic is that Lynne Spears, their mother, was planning on releasing a book on parenting. It was shelved once everyone found out her 16 year old was impregnated with the child of her 19 year old boyfriend.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I highly doubt any 16 year old is going to go visit the sexual health clinic until they have some major problems...

I have had a check-up before, and I know a couple more 16 years olds in my year who have had one "just in case". Of course I cannot comprehend certain situations as well as an adult could, but that develops as you gain experience and knowledge. A lot of teenagers I know need a better understanding of sex and its consequences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back