A sad day for vinyl: Shure V15VxMR being discontinued
Nov 4, 2004 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hirsch

Why is there a chaplain standing over his wallet?
This news has been bouncing around on Audio Asylum and Audiogon. The Shure V15 Type VxMR is the final iteration of the Shure V15 series, which has been around a long time. Needledoctor.com has posted that this cartridge is being discontinued in 2005, and apparently people have gotten confirmation from Shure. Shure simply can't get the parts, apparently. Even when I haven't had one hooked up, I've had some version of the Shure V15 around since the '70s.

In terms of performance, this is a high-output MM cartridge that outperforms almost anything at its price point, and may be one of the best tracking cartridges ever. It's been one of the great bargains in audio for a long time, and it's finally being retired. There are still some out there, and they can be gotten for well under the needledoctor price. This is one of the lower prices I've seen:

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/produ...520D18200.html

I'm half-tempted to get one just to keep in storage for sometime in the future. A classic has reached the end of its run.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was discountinued once before and then came back after several years. Maybe this isn't really the end.

I may be wrong but I don't think it came back. Or does anyone here have information to the contrary? If yes, please post it here and make a fellow head-fier very happy.

Thanks!

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugano-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may be wrong but I don't think it came back. Or does anyone here have information to the contrary? If yes, please post it here and make a fellow head-fier very happy.

Thanks!

You are correct. It was discontinued permanently years ago and never came back. There was a run for a while a couple of years ago when some people got hold of some NOS (new old stock) that had been sitting in a warehouse.
The only hope now is an aftermarket replacement stylus from Jico called an SAS. It's supposed to be a pretty close match to the original.

Edit: I just noticed the date of the original post. It's over 4 years old. Time for me to wake up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back