a REALLY good game... for free?? (and it works on Macs and *nix????)
Feb 22, 2007 at 2:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
just thought i'd share a really good find... http://www.truecombatelite.net/

it's a great first person shooter (a mod to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory), has great graphics, works on pretty crappy computers (including my ubuntu machine and iBook), and is super fun!

i've been playing since early november. it has a pretty steep learning curve (you have to get used to iron sights and get used to the maps) but is very rewarding. i don't expect many people to download (you also have to download W:ET) but if you do, tell me!

no spyware, very few cheaters, and not a whole lot of people play, but enough to keep full games at all times of day (4am)

have fun, just thought i'd throw this out there for any FPS fans. it's a good way to test your new Apple's graphical capabilities, too...!

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 8
The best free FPS by far is Nexuiz. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux. The graphics are kick ass, they can be configured for a super slow computer or for a bleeding edge quad sli rig. There has recently been a huge surge in the number of players. Here is a link:
http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/

Feb 22, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 8
You can download a free online version of F.E.A.R. too. It is alot better than W:ET or TC:E. We've had servers up for all 3 and are now down to W:ET and FEAR. We have a dedicated server running one of the few well modded FEAR servers with great multiplayer levels.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just thought i'd share a really good find... http://www.truecombatelite.net/

it's a great first person shooter (a mod to Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory), has great graphics, works on pretty crappy computers (including my ubuntu machine and iBook), and is super fun!

i've been playing since early november. it has a pretty steep learning curve (you have to get used to iron sights and get used to the maps) but is very rewarding. i don't expect many people to download (you also have to download W:ET) but if you do, tell me!

no spyware, very few cheaters, and not a whole lot of people play, but enough to keep full games at all times of day (4am)

have fun, just thought i'd throw this out there for any FPS fans. it's a good way to test your new Apple's graphical capabilities, too...!

i'll try this out, is there a single player version? I want to try it out before I get called out as a noob in multiplayer

Feb 22, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'll try this out, is there a single player version? I want to try it out before I get called out as a noob in multiplayer

multi only. as long as you don't teamkill no one will get mad at you- just bitch about your slow computer!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back