A Question
Feb 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mysterious

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

As I am about to buy myself an audio technica m50's .
i just wanted to make sure that the on board sound card will be enough to give me a satisfying experience with them
My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R

Thank you

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #2 of 12
The better your headphones are the more they will show the true quality or lack of in your source.  Onboards are really not very good, so if you want the best quality you can get, you have to get a new source also.  Doesn't need to be very expensive to surpass an onboard.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 12
So all the hype intel created with the new chipsets having "High definition audio chip" was just marketing tactics ?
Well since I am not getting a top of the line headphones, should I be really expectinng a great amount of quality drop ?

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
So all the hype intel created with the new chipsets having "High definition audio chip" was just marketing tactics ?
Well since I am not getting a top of the line headphones, should I be really expectinng a great amount of quality drop ?

exactly, with a better source it will sound better, but the M50's are forgiving so they aren't to dependent on source, you should be ok.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 12

Quote:

Well...they can say "high definition" because it meets certain specs but that doesn't mean that it sounds good in comparison to other sources. You can pick up a new source that will surpass an onboard for next to nothing.  Entry level soundcards are available fairly cheap and would give you better results then an onboard.

It is up to you.

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 12
For $50, you can look to the used market or you can go with a new entry level card such as a Xonar DS or the cheaper Xonar DG.
I would also make sure you look through the Buy and sell forums and places as you can get entry level DAC's or higher grade soundcards for cheaper prices.  Good Luck on your gear hunt.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #11 of 12
Sure check local sources for used gear if you want to save money and get more bang for your buck.  If you want new, find something within your budget.
Generally when people upgrade from onboard audio to a card or DAC they are very happy with the end results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back