A question to Head-Fi-ers not living in America
Jan 26, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #16 of 32
Weird, Right Alt + 4 brings up the advanced search page.
confused.gif

And yeah, what the heck is this: ¤ <--???
-Ed

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMHBAT
Um, still a "$" here. Maybe you mean "North America." (I know you guys tend to forget we exist. . .)

no, i wouldn't forget about the united states' neighbors. We just happen to call ourselves americans, its just a figure of speech. However you're right in correcting me. I should have chosen my words better.

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #19 of 32
I see now how you easily type those letters and sybols that aren't on the north american keyboard. We don't have a right alt button and you have one more extra key in the a-s-d-f-g-h-j-k-l- row. Thats interesting to know.

Jan 26, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 32
Why is the tilde (I think that's what it's called, the squiggly line) sqare on that picture? Is that normal?

[Edit]The tilde is next to the enter button. So what they hell is that square thing?[/Edit]

[Edit2]Looked on that Wiki page and found this:
Quote:

Note:

* the key to the immediate left of numeral 1 (backtick, `) gives (logical NOT, ¬) when shifted (instead of ~) and with AltGr either
o vertical bar | (OS/2's UK166 keyboard layout, Linux UK keyboard layout, and as usually printed on the keytop on keyboards sold in the UK),
or
o broken vertical bar ¦ (Microsoft Windows' UK keyboard layout);
* the key to the immediate left of Z gives, when shifted, either
o broken vertical bar ¦ (OS/2's UK166 keyboard layout and as usually printed on the keytop on keyboards sold in the UK),
or
o vertical bar | (Microsoft Windows' UK keyboard layout and Linux UK keyboard layout).

[/Edit2]

Did you know? The QWERTY design of keyboards came as a result of mechanical binding in typewriters. In order to prevent binding, the keys were arranged so that the most commonly used letters were split up. In the modern era, QWERTY keyboards are no longer neccessary, and, in fact, keyboards arranged in a regular ABCDEF fashion have been found to be more efficient.

Jan 26, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 32
It says on that site that you have to activate it in control panel. I haven't tried it, maybe you did. I just wanted to call that to your attention incase you just scanned through the page.

Jan 26, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #27 of 32

and we also have qwertz instead of qwerty (damn you, neighbours), I have to switch keyboards very often to access characters usually found on numeric keys.. I'm no longer using our national punctuated characters anymore, but I'm just too used to czech keyboard that I can't really use standard one.. that y-z transposition is a pain..

Jan 27, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #28 of 32
Crimson, there's a lot of debate over exactly why QWERTY layout was chosen, but it's definitely not true that any rearrangement of keys produces a significant increase in typing speed for moderately skilled operators. There was quite comprehensive testing of various alternative layouts (including Dvorak and straight alphabetical) done between the 1960s and 1990s which all showed that no layout tested allowed a skilled typist to type any faster than they could on a QWERTY keyboard. The only tests ever done which showed otherwise were the ones the inventor of the Dvorak layout did in order to 'prove' his layout was better, but the later studies pretty comprehensively discredited that. The only way you can really get above the ceiling of skilled typists is to use shorthand, possibly in combination with the chording system used by court stenographers.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Crimson, there's a lot of debate over exactly why QWERTY layout was chosen, but it's definitely not true that any rearrangement of keys produces a significant increase in typing speed for moderately skilled operators. There was quite comprehensive testing of various alternative layouts (including Dvorak and straight alphabetical) done between the 1960s and 1990s which all showed that no layout tested allowed a skilled typist to type any faster than they could on a QWERTY keyboard. The only tests ever done which showed otherwise were the ones the inventor of the Dvorak layout did in order to 'prove' his layout was better, but the later studies pretty comprehensively discredited that. The only way you can really get above the ceiling of skilled typists is to use shorthand, possibly in combination with the chording system used by court stenographers.

Ah, okay. That was just something I read. I can't really remember what it was from.

Is Dvorak the keyboard with the arrows and punctuation in the middle and a nearly alphabetical layout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back