A question regarding the marantz CD5001 DAC ..need your help!
Jun 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

plonter

Headphoneus Supremus
In short,this is the story:  
Right now i have a broken marantz cd player (cd5001) which can no longer read cd's  and a headroom headphone amp (micro amp).   since the marantz transport section is no longer functioning,i thought maybe there is a way that i can use its dac only and feed my headphone amp with analog signal .  the marantz has a rather nice dac which i would be very happy to use.   I am asking this because i don't have money to buy an external dac or a new cd player..      is there a way i can pull this off?       any adviced regarding this would be helpful  :)   

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 4
as far as i know,the cd player has no digital input. so no other digital stream other than cd's can be used with it.      since it does no longer work'i think i will take it apart and see what it looks like from the inside :)  just for fun..  i only wish i could take the dac chip and use it somehow,too bad it is very good.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 4
Best way to utilize it is to repair it; I've seen another post in a local forum about resurrecting an old Sony ES (I think) - the problem was you can't just tap a digital input into the port where the transport plugs in. Problem with CD transports is the laser kicks the bucket and then despite the internet it's never that easy to locate just that replacement part, so some people just replace the entire transport. That might seem expensive for a $500 or so CDP, which is why I routinely just hear of this procedure being performed on $2,000+++ players (and that's probably resale value IF functional, not MSRP when new).

In any case, if you can take it apart yourself, have you checked with the Marantz distributor? They might charge too much if they replace it, but maybe if they have spares on hand they can ship it to you.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 4
i guess there is no other way, but i am very short of money right now..so no repairings any time soon :frowning2:  i thought that maybe with a little effore i could somehow use its dac with out  spending money.       if i would spend money right now it would probably be on a dac of some kind and not on the cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back