A question on Westone UM2
Jul 21, 2011 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Erus

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, after doing a bit of research, I've decided to invest my hard earned cash on a Westone UM2 from Amazon. I confess I'm a total newbie to the whole audiophile scene ( laught if u must but my idea of a good headphone is like a klipsch). So while I await (rather impatiently) for my new IEMs to arrive I'd thought I'd seek out advice from any current or ex- UM2 users.

The question is whether I need to fix up cable sleeves for my UM2? I've grown a bit paranoid from reading all the stories of how the cables unbraid or need recabling etc. etc. and got an impression that they seem extremely fragile (relative to the user i know but still would like some assurance) and I see these as a pair of long term investment. 

I'll be using them for daily commutes to school and whenever I'm travelling around, so u could say I'll be manhandling them alot.

Jul 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hey guys, after doing a bit of research, I've decided to invest my hard earned cash on a Westone UM2 from Amazon. I confess I'm a total newbie to the whole audiophile scene ( laught if u must but my idea of a good headphone is like a klipsch). So while I await (rather impatiently) for my new IEMs to arrive I'd thought I'd seek out advice from any current or ex- UM2 users.

The question is whether I need to fix up cable sleeves for my UM2? I've grown a bit paranoid from reading all the stories of how the cables unbraid or need recabling etc. etc. and got an impression that they seem extremely fragile (relative to the user i know but still would like some assurance) and I see these as a pair of long term investment. 

I'll be using them for daily commutes to school and whenever I'm travelling around, so u could say I'll be manhandling them alot.

1. Klipsch isn't too bad, their custom series and X10 is pretty decent.
2. Everyone sees their first pair of earphones as a long term investment, then they stumble upon head-fi and that idea is quickly blown to shambles.
3. I haven't used the UM2 but I've used the UM1 and I'm assuming the build is similar, if not identical. The Westone cable is pretty decent, in my year or two of usage it didn't ever unravel on me. Just make sure the cable doesn't get the chance to unravel and stay in an unravelled position and I don't think you should have a problem. If you do decide to make cable sleeving, you could consider heatshrink tubing, but I'd suggest against it because it'd increase microphonics and decrease pliability and all in all defeat the purpose of the twisted cable in the first place. Also, there is no way (I can think of) to apply a sleeving after the Y-Split

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
1. Klipsch isn't too bad, their custom series and X10 is pretty decent.
2. Everyone sees their first pair of earphones as a long term investment, then they stumble upon head-fi and that idea is quickly blown to shambles.
3. I haven't used the UM2 but I've used the UM1 and I'm assuming the build is similar, if not identical. The Westone cable is pretty decent, in my year or two of usage it didn't ever unravel on me. Just make sure the cable doesn't get the chance to unravel and stay in an unravelled position and I don't think you should have a problem. If you do decide to make cable sleeving, you could consider heatshrink tubing, but I'd suggest against it because it'd increase microphonics and decrease pliability and all in all defeat the purpose of the twisted cable in the first place. Also, there is no way (I can think of) to apply a sleeving after the Y-Split

[size=medium]
Will take note on the whole theory blown to shambles, but I suppose I'll be somewhat insulated from that since currently most of my funds are channelled towards my studies. Of course, what happens after that or in the future is anybody's guess :wink:  

You mention unravelled position: meaning what try not to bend them too much? 

Call this an urban myth but I read somewhere that bodily oils are really not too friendly on cables? (Debunk this if you please cause I do like accuracy)
[/size]

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:

[size=medium]
Will take note on the whole theory blown to shambles, but I suppose I'll be somewhat insulated from that since currently most of my funds are channelled towards my studies. Of course, what happens after that or in the future is anybody's guess :wink:  

You mention unravelled position: meaning what try not to bend them too much? 

Call this an urban myth but I read somewhere that bodily oils are really not too friendly on cables? (Debunk this if you please cause I do like accuracy)
[/size]

They cause transparent cables to go green, in the case of stock cables bundled with customs. Shouldn't be a problem for you nor the UM2 cable. By unravelled I mean if perchance something unravels your cable, be sure to twist it back into shape to prevent it from retaining the unravelled shape. Chances of that happening are slim, anyway. Bending them is fine by all means, they are one of the most pliable cables I've had so far.

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
They cause transparent cables to go green, in the case of stock cables bundled with customs. Shouldn't be a problem for you nor the UM2 cable. By unravelled I mean if perchance something unravels your cable, be sure to twist it back into shape to prevent it from retaining the unravelled shape. Chances of that happening are slim, anyway. Bending them is fine by all means, they are one of the most pliable cables I've had so far.

Alright..guess all my fear at this point has been irrational! Thanks very much for your help and tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back