A question for you Grado folks.
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Fearless1

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya,

An old friend of mine, who is a master wood worker, sent me for Christmas a stunning pair of Grado cups he made me (last we talked I was into my Gs1000i's). I only have heard the Grados I currently own and a pair of 225is that my dog chewed on to spite me(evil dog that also enjoys the taste of cardas cables). I was wondering if I am buying a set to transfer the drivers into the new housing does it matter at all if I get to 60i,80i 125i and etc. as far as SQ? Does the driver match make a big difference?

Thanks

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 15
Your question would probably best be addressed to the DIY section of the forums. Good luck!

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 15
The drivers are the main that changes as you go up that line, I believe, so you would see some improvement I'm sure.  I haven't heard all of them so I can't really say how big it would be.

You could even go for a set of real nice magnum drivers... but with just cups it would leave you without the rods/gimbals/headband, etc. idk how hard it is to acquire those bits.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:
The drivers are the main that changes as you go up that line, I believe, so you would see some improvement I'm sure.  I haven't heard all of them so I can't really say how big it would be.

You could even go for a set of real nice magnum drivers... but with just cups it would leave you without the rods/gimbals/headband, etc. idk how hard it is to acquire those bits.

I do own the Gs1000i's but I will not touch them they are like art. I was going to purchase the whole headphone, but I was wondering about the differance in the lower end (60-325is). I have heard the only difference in these models are the drivers being matched better and the build.(rumor?)

Quote:
Your question would probably best be addressed to the DIY section of the forums. Good luck!

Why? I asked about the headphones  not how to modify them.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Why? I asked about the headphones  not how to modify them.

I say so because it's possible that, given the a wooden-cup transplant can drastically change sonic characteristics, it may affect one SR-series can in a vastly different way than it would another. It's possible (though not likely) that wood cups on a 325is could somehow sound worse than on an SR60i.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:
I say so because it's possible that, given the a wooden-cup transplant can drastically change sonic characteristics, it may affect one SR-series can in a vastly different way than it would another. It's possible (though not likely) that wood cups on a 325is could somehow sound worse than on an SR60i.

Yeah it could, but I was going to at least try. The cups are beautiful. I just hope I do not go into the same mode as I did with my T50rps and open them up everday.......Thank you Dan for ending my pain there!

The main question I was asking is Are the drivers different in the 60-325? or the same?

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

The main question I was asking is Are the drivers different in the 60-325? or the same?

My understanding is they are essentially the same drivers, matched and selected better (and the housings are tuned better). 

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

I was avoiding answering that bit directly before because I'm not quite sure myself, but to the best of my knowledge the SR125 and up have different drivers from the SR60 and SR80.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
Heya,

An old friend of mine, who is a master wood worker, sent me for Christmas a stunning pair of Grado cups he made me (last we talked I was into my Gs1000i's). I only have heard the Grados I currently own and a pair of 225is that my dog chewed on to spite me(evil dog that also enjoys the taste of cardas cables). I was wondering if I am buying a set to transfer the drivers into the new housing does it matter at all if I get to 60i,80i 125i and etc. as far as SQ? Does the driver match make a big difference?

Thanks

To answeryour question about SQ as far as matched driver's, the 60's up to 225's driver's are matched .1db where as the 325's and up are matched .5db, also the frequency responce is higher and lower from the 225's and up plus the wire conductor's change as you go up in model, also the voice coil wire's from the 125 and up are high purity long crystal oxygen free copper, and from the 325 up the connecting cord is also (UHLPC). From hearing the 80's to the 325's I definitly hear a big difference with the more closely matched driver's as far as stereo, where as with the 80's it seemed like I had more sound coming from the right than the left driver alot of time's and it wasn't the recording's (I am not a graph) this is what MY ear's heard. I don't know if you will hear a difference ( I don't how you hear), that being said I would either go for the 60's or if you want the copper voice coil's the 125's and you should be fine. The least you can spend on Grado's for the more closlely matched driver's is 300$U.S., for 325's, it may not be worth it just for the driver's price wise if you are going to take the driver's out of their aluminum cup's. Like another post say's I beileve you can buy Magnum driver's also if you want for around 120$U.S., minimum, I beileve they also have other higher priced model's too (I've never heard them). But like I said as far as I hear yes there is a big difference to my ear's. All of these model's have great SQ IMO.

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
I was avoiding answering that bit directly before because I'm not quite sure myself, but to the best of my knowledge the SR125 and up have different drivers from the SR60 and SR80.

They do publish different frequency ranges for them... but honestly, having a set of SR80i and 225i, once you are using the same earpads on them, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. I prefer my 225, but mostly because I've made ergonomic and usability improvements. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 15
My understanding is they are essentially the same drivers, matched and selected better (and the housings are tuned better). 

Grado has reported differently - they claim the drivers to be "different" (but they don't really elaborate) - my guess is that it's more like you're guessing - better matching and higher tolerances. That said, the SR-225 is the closest matching (just like the models above it), and my understanding is ripping up the plastic housings is easier than breaking the SR-325 or RS-2 down (and it's also quite a bit cheaper with the SR-225!).

To answeryour question about SQ as far as matched driver's, the 60's up to 225's driver's are matched .1db where as the 325's and up are matched .5db,

Actually the SR-60 through the SR-125 are claimed to be matched within .1 dB, and the SR-225 and up are claimed to be matched within .05 dB.
http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php?item=c56e04009f99e060f4c39dfdadb98549

In the Grado thread this question came up a while ago, and the SR-225 was the general consenous as the best starting-off point for transplants (because of the better driver matching, and as you note below, cabling and pads). I believe a few members regarded the 325 drivers as brighter even when liberated, so that's also worth considering. I haven't honestly read much about RS-2 or RS-1s being gutted for DIY woodies or similar - probably because they start out as woodies (and $500 just to rip a pair of headphones apart is pretty rich).

also the frequency responce is higher and lower from the 225's and up plus the wire conductor's change as you go up in model, also the voice coil wire's from the 125 and up are high purity long crystal oxygen free copper, and from the 325 up the connecting cord is also (UHLPC). From hearing the 80's to the 325's I definitly hear a big difference with the more closely matched driver's as far as stereo, where as with the 80's it seemed like I had more sound coming from the right than the left driver alot of time's and it wasn't the recording's (I am not a graph) this is what MY ear's heard. I don't know if you will hear a difference ( I don't how you hear), that being said I would either go for the 60's or if you want the copper voice coil's the 125's and you should be fine. The least you can spend on Grado's for the more closlely matched driver's is 300$U.S., for 325's, it may not be worth it just for the driver's price wise if you are going to take the driver's out of their aluminum cup's. Like another post say's I beileve you can buy Magnum driver's also if you want for around 120$U.S., minimum, I beileve they also have other higher priced model's too (I've never heard them). But like I said as far as I hear yes there is a big difference to my ear's. All of these model's have great SQ IMO.

They should all have copper voice coils, but I think you're right that either the 225 or 325 has an improved coil setup. On their web-site Grado lists the SR-125 as HPLC, and the 225 as UHPLC, 325 gets UHPLC cabling as well.

But I agree that they're all good candidates, especially if you're going to change the enclosures, pads, and perhaps even cabling (if you're doing a custom wire job, who cares what you're throwing away, is basically the point) - the SR-225 or SR-325 would both be good candidates because of the better driver matching, bowl pads (125 and lower come with comfies), and the 325 has the better cable and headband too (that should also be noted - the SR-225 and lower have vinyl headbands, and imho the leather headband does make a difference for overall fit and feel - but again, if you're going aftermarket here, who cares what you're pitching out).

I think if you aren't intending to go with an aftermarket cable, headband, etc - the SR-325 will have more parts that you'll appreciate on the rebuild. But if you're going fully custom, the 225s are probably going to save you $100 (to put towards the custom headband, cable, etc that you're into).

They do publish different frequency ranges for them... but honestly, having a set of SR80i and 225i, once you are using the same earpads on them, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference. I prefer my 225, but mostly because I've made ergonomic and usability improvements. 

And see, this is the other side of the coin - and that's where I'm not as on-board with Grado's claim that they're all different drivers. Personally between the SR-60 and SR-225 with the same pads, I found the 225 to sound somewhat better, but it wasn't this big night and day difference. Sure, the GS-1000 and RS-1 sound different, but they also have much different housings (and in the case of the GSK, pads as well).

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #13 of 15
Thank's for pointing out that the 225 driver's are also more closely matched, my mistake, I don't want to mislead anyone with the wrong info. Thank's
By the way obobskivich do you agree with what I hear with the more closely matched driver's also?

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #14 of 15
Thank's for pointing out that the 225 driver's are also more closely matched, my mistake, I don't want to mislead anyone with the wrong info. Thank's
By the way obobskivich do you agree with what I hear with the more closely matched driver's also?

It's been a long time since I had the SR-60s so I really can't speak to the matching, but I will say that the RS-1 do sound better matched than a lot of other dynamic headphones I've tried - which is certainly nice (so I do think they're well matched). What I remember of the SR-60s was less refinement than the 225s or higher models, especially in the treble, but overall they're all good headphones. I know that putting the bowls on the SR-60s brought them fairly close to the 225s, but I still ultimately ended up passing the 60s on to a friend and keeping the 225s longer.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 15
i went for a 325transplant...but on hindsight would rather have gone with a less costly 225..then add custom leather headbands..n custom cable. 
As it is, the sound of my woodied325 is mellow n sweet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back