A question about history to the old Head-fiers...
May 13, 2004 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Chisum

Head-Fier
Well,

althought I'm into "serious" Headphone listening for quite a long time (O.K. I guess 4 years is nothing compared to the old school guys here), I startet to visit Head-Fi not so long ago. I was reading here for some time before I registered, but all in all I think I know Head-Fi for not longer than about 1,5 years.

Since I discovered this great site with it's really nice community (yes yes, you are freaks, but I like it
biggrin.gif
), I already visited HeadWize.com for a longer period of time, also liking it very much, and getting some really helpful hints on headphone purchase.

Then I discovered Head-Fi, and liked it even more... Nowadays, I rarely visit Headwize, because I think everything I need I (well, regarding headphones
tongue.gif
) I can find here. I did some research, and I think I read something like there were a lot of HeadWize members who "converted" to Head-Fi, and that Head-Fi started as a smaller "sister-site" to HeadWize or something like that... I just wondered, what was the intention to start Head-Fi, when there was already HeadWize, which great forum (wow... the DIY section RULED!!) also covered everything a headphone lover would ask for?

Just asking, because I realized that the number of posts in HeadWize was steadily declining, while Head-Fi is growing stronger and stroner (membership wise). I would like to get a history lesson from the guys who started in HeadWize and then went over to Head-Fi. Some well-known people like Jan Meier or this Merton guy still post in HeadWize first, why that? Is this some kind of loyalty thing, or what?

Thanks for your answers

Chisum

May 13, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 16
At one point Chu had to shut HeadWize down as it grew in popularity and his ISP bandwidth charges started getting to be prohibitively expensive.

May 13, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 16
Jan is known for his stellar products and service. Merton on the other hand is a whoooole other story...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisum
... Some well-known people like Jan Meier or this Merton guy still post in HeadWize first, why that? Is this some kind of loyalty thing, or what?

Thanks for your answers

Chisum

May 14, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisum
Some well-known people like Jan Meier or this Merton guy still post in HeadWize first, why that? Is this some kind of loyalty thing, or what?

Merton was, uhm, kicked out of the playground here a while ago. He now can't post here, so he has fled to other places to spread the love.

May 14, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 16
Head-Fi started as a stop-gap by Jude during one of many of Headwize's particularly long black-outs. As a temporary thing, some of the hard-core regulars who couldn't stand going several weeks without talking headphones got invited and were told to spread the word in a sort of underground way that there was a temporary home at Head-Fi, and more and more headwizers started showing up, hanging here waiting for headwize to come back on-line. It didn't take long for people to see that not only was Head-Fi more reliable, but the software interface was 1000X better, and over time, Head-Fi started becoming more popular than headwize, which continued to have problems. I haven't really even looked at headwize since "moving" here the day after Head-Fi started.
orphsmile.gif

May 14, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Head-Fi started as a stop-gap by Jude during one of many of Headwize's particularly long black-outs. As a temporary thing, some of the hard-core regulars who couldn't stand going several weeks without talking headphones got invited and were told to spread the word in a sort of underground way that there was a temporary home at Head-Fi, and more and more headwizers started showing up, hanging here waiting for headwize to come back on-line. It didn't take long for people to see that not only was Head-Fi more reliable, but the software interface was 1000X better, and over time, Head-Fi started becoming more popular than headwize, which continued to have problems. I haven't really even looked at headwize since "moving" here the day after Head-Fi started.
orphsmile.gif

spot on there, and you can find out who is the first to register here somewhere.

May 14, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
spot on there, and you can find out who is the first to register here somewhere.

just click on the Members List.

speaking of which, holy moly ServinginEcuador, you must make 50 posts a day or something!
eek.gif

May 14, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlowWorm
Actually, it's more like a "paltry" 10.69 as of now.
wink.gif

That is only an average. There is no way he only makes 10 or 11 a day. It was only a few days ago (less than a week) when I had a LOT more posts than he had, and look at him now! He is also not even spamming or making inane posts either, which is an amazing feat!

At this rate, Duncan will be dethroned in month or two.
eek.gif

LOL, he sure earns his custom!
biggrin.gif

I guess he is saving up to buy new tubes for his STAX amp
lambda.gif

P.S. This is all in good fun, of course
eggosmile.gif

May 14, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin

Hello Raymondlin, long time no see! Remember the good ole days of coming over here when the Hifichoice forums went down
icon10.gif
?

Wern't you doing an architure course or something? How'd that turn out??

May 14, 2004 at 9:36 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
That is only an average. There is no way he only makes 10 or 11 a day. It was only a few days ago (less than a week) when I had a LOT more posts than he had, and look at him now! He is also not even spamming or making inane posts either, which is an amazing feat!

I average about 10 a day, but have had a couple of days where I did post almost 40 posts a day. My average was under 10 just a few weeks ago, but with a couple of big days went up nearly a post a day. I have a nice cable modem here at my in-laws house, and while I am listening to all the review equipment and such I gotta do something to pass the time, so I read and post.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the posting thinng. I try to avoid useless posts and inane stuff, but can still manage 40 a day when there are some good threads out there in which I can participate and/or contribute.

May 16, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 16
even though i have been offline mostly in recent weeks i still keep tabs on the goings on at headwize and if there is something that peaks my interest i post there as well.

there was a time when headwize was where the action was but with popularity came problems

Those problems were the cost of operating and bandwidth so the forums would go through periodic blackouts and the "caught out' feeling was not good.

forced withdrawal !

This went on for a time then jude got this joint started and we one by one drifted over

What was originally meant to be a temporary fix ended up being the replacement drug and as head-fi grew headwize shrank

This could be maybe a bad or good thing according to perspective

the smaller membership and online presence means no more shutdowns due to limited bandwidth at headwize

but the same lack of participation means the exitement of the early days is no longer there

But if you are looking for raw intel on headphones or headphone amps the headwize library is second to none in the internet universe

a damn international treasure that i still to this day refer to

and

[size=x-large]HEY ![/size]

Hoo yoo callin' old !
mad.gif

wink.gif

rickmonster supremus

May 17, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
just click on the Members List.

Whoa, that was interesting. Looks like we're coming up on Head-fi's 3rd anniversary on June 20!

I can't believe I've been here almost 3 years myself. How time flies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back