a possibly strange question about corn dogs
Dec 19, 2009 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nick_charles

Headphoneus Supremus
I am planning a trip to the UK from the USA, to visit family, my Sister-in-law's lodger apparently is an American chap who misses Corn Dogs badly. I went looking for corn dogs but could only find the frozen variety. My journey is likely to be about 16 hours door to door by which time said corn dogs will be well and truly defrosted would these represent a health hazard , would they be all mushy anyway ?

Do corn dogs exist in non frozen form ?

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 10
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish...

See what I'm getting at here? Corn Dog cookin', Nick.

Also, I'd be really nice if you cooked the man up some on your own, place them in a basket lined with a gingham cloth and surprised him with homemade corn dogs and the recipe. I'd really appreciate something like that.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 10
I cannot even imagine how good a home cooked corn dog with a Hebrew National hot dog would taste. I suppose they might have them at fairs in the summer here. I love corn dogs, but most of the frozen ones are awful.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is not a chicken/egg situation here, Nick. The do come from somewhere, in a deconstructed form. In lieu of stuffing corn dogs in the overhead, I give you the fabulous Alton Brown:

Corn Dogs Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Who, coincidentally, has the BEST cooking show in the history of broadcast television called Good Eats.

Agreed!

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 10
I'll second or third the recommendation for making homemade corn dogs when you're over there.

What you should do here is source the finest cornmeal possible and take that with you. Whole Foods ought to have an excellent one, as should any organic food store.

Then get the dogs and other ingredients over there.

The humble corn dog is one of life's great comfort foods. Teaching him to make his own and supplying top-notch cornmeal ought to make him much happier than any frozen concoction you could take over.

Also, pay a visit to the Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum. Find a premium mustard to take along, too.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 10
I didn't read the replies because I have been drinking and i am impatient. You should make your own corn dogs, the recipe is pretty simple. All you need is a hot dog and the ingredients to mak eth ebatter (corn meal, etc.) and some oil to fry it in. You could even bake it instead.

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't read the replies because I have been drinking and i am impatient. You should make your own corn dogs, the recipe is pretty simple. All you need is a hot dog and the ingredients to mak eth ebatter (corn meal, etc.) and some oil to fry it in. You could even bake it instead.

biggrin.gif

I'm into the fifth pint at the moment and a corn dog sound really good. But the only food within walking distance is the taco truck. Which, surprisingly, is superb. A buche burrito is only $3.50 and I think I'll have to wander over shortly.

To the point, Alton's recipe calls for peanut oil. I would substitute pure lard, if at all possible.

Arteries be damned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back