A portable amp for my AKG 518 headphones
Oct 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

retskrad

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently bought a Nexus 4, the sound quality is not very good and the volume is low. I did some research and people recommended FiiO E5 and E6. I got the impression that E5 has better bass and the E6 to have better overral sound quality. And my question is: do these headphones make the sound quality better and do they work wonders with my AKG 518 headphones?

cheers

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 5
I would say to spend a little more and get the FiiO E11, $65
Or a least get the E6, should be better then the E5.

Or invest in headphones with a lower impedance (Ohm), easier for the Nexas 4 to drive.
JVC HA-S500 ($60) or HA-S400 ($32).

Oct 29, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #4 of 5
  Thanks for your reply. Actually I just ordered the E11. Is it any better than the E7? Loudness isn't a problem, but sound quality is with my Nexus 4.

The FiiO E11 comes with a more powerful amplifier then the E7.
But I would guess they would be about equal for audio quality for amplifing the AKG 518.

Jan 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #5 of 5
This Christmas I'd treated myself in buying the AKG 518 headphones as my local audio retailer (RicherSounds) were selling them at a 40% discount.

I have them hooked up to an IPOD classic 160GB with the FiiO E5 portable amplifier listening to R&B, Jazz, Rock with a dash of Hip-Hop and Classical depending on mood.

Firstly using the AKG 518 with the FiiO E5, my first observation is at that, the sometimes woolly bass is tighten-up whilst having the same kick.

That said the AKG 518 doesn't particularly scale well with the Fiio 5 portable amp i.e. other than the bass being a bit tighter, I can discern no other audible improvements unlike with my other-to-go headphones being the Philips Downtown over-ear, which when used with the E5 offer a big improvement in sound dynamics as well as volume. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back