A noob reviews - Ray Samuels and Apex Glacier content
May 20, 2015 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

scottcw

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought an RSA Predator and Apex Glacier. Since I don't use the DAC on the Predator, I ordered a Shadow from Ray. Stay tuned to this thread for my thoughts...

I am going to start with my impressions of the Predator and the Apex Glacier as amplifiers only using a LOD from my iPod 5.5 and a Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. I will update this thread after I receive the Shadow. I may try an SR-71 down the road although Ray told me using the SR-71 for my IEMs would be like using a 12 cylinder to drive 30 MPH.

I am going to focus on one song today to compare the Predator and the Glacier - Sympathy for the Devil from The Rolling Stones' seminal Beggar's Banquet. Although this song is mainly driven by Charlie Watts' metronome-like percussion, there is also a rolling piano rhythm and a driving bass line. The piano and the bass highlight the difference between the Predator and the Glacier.

With the Predator, you would think that this is a bass driven song. You can hear the rest of the instruments and the vocals clearly, but the bass part is definitely emphasized.

The Glacier makes this into a piano driven song. Again, the bass is there along with the other instruments and the vocals, but the piano frequencies are highlighted.

The Predator's bass brings home the darker side of the song (no pun intended), giving me a feeling of portent or unease. In contrast, the Glacier conveys the lighter, samba influenced feeling of the song. I should point out that neither amp lacks what the other emphasizes, simply that each has it's own character that highlights different qualities of the same song.

If I may make a food analogy... I have spent a lot of time roasting and brewing coffee. Lighter roasts are often described as "floral" or "acidic." Darker roasts are described as "earthy" or "chocolate." You have probably anticipated that I would compare the Glacier to a lighter roast of coffee where the upper notes are at the forefront. The Predator is a darker roast of coffee. Again, each amp reproduces a full range of frequencies while still emphasizing piano frequencies (Glacier) or mid/bass frequencies (Predator).

I hope this is helpful. More to come...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back