A nice new DAC2 from Benchmark showing at RMAF
Aug 8, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #241 of 247
  Hopefully this one doesn't do the Ottawa to Vancouver back to Ottawa route. 
wink.gif

Well it got to Toronto alright so fingers crossed it's an uneventful trip to Ottawa.  I'm hopefully that the "drop" to iems makes something of this size, even if not the DAC2, an option given the low power requirement.  It would also be nice to have the desk space back :wink:

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #242 of 247
And it's here.  The previous owner did me the "favour" of cleaning the unit before shipping and rubbed part of the D in DAC2 off.  No good deed goes unpunished and all that /sigh

Couple of notes off the bat... it's so small :p  It gets nice and warm for an opamp based DAC/Amp but unfortunately? the gain might be too high for my use case.  Even at -20dB the 846 get super loud really fast.  Now the good news is that even though it's technically stepped, the steps are like 0.125dB so it might as well be a pot.

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #243 of 247
  And it's here.  The previous owner did me the "favour" of cleaning the unit before shipping and rubbed part of the D in DAC2 off.  No good deed goes unpunished and all that /sigh

Couple of notes off the bat... it's so small :p  It gets nice and warm for an opamp based DAC/Amp but unfortunately? the gain might be too high for my use case.  Even at -20dB the 846 get super loud really fast.  Now the good news is that even though it's technically stepped, the steps are like 0.125dB so it might as well be a pot.

You can open it up and lower gain.  I believe the manual shows how, if not, they're always responsive by email and would walk you through I bet.  They do state that the default gain is high for pairing with their power amp, but could be too high for other equipment.

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #244 of 247
  You can open it up and lower gain.  I believe the manual shows how, if not, they're always responsive by email and would walk you through I bet.  They do state that the default gain is high for pairing with their power amp, but could be too high for other equipment.

Both XLR and headphone are set to -20dB, the lowest possible.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #245 of 247
Bringing this ole thread back to life due to an incentive to buy from benchmarkmedia:
I couldn't resist(my new SR-009 is hungry for some source) and am going to trade up. 
I have and love the DAC1 USB for probably 8 years and it still serves me well. 
My only criticism is the volume pot has some noise now but...it's probably dust. 
I should receive 600 for it which makes the upgrade cost to be a little more
accessible for me.  Just thought I'd let all Benchmarkmedia owners know...only a couple more days.

33rd Anniversary Special!

Upgrade from any brand D/A converter to a DAC2 and Save up to $900!

Until April 14, 2016 we are offering generous trade-in allowances on used D/A converters toward purchases of new Benchmark DAC2 converters!
Don't miss this opportunity to upgrade!

Trade-In Allowance:

1. Receive $900 for your used DAC1 HDR with remote
  2. Receive $850 for your used DAC1 HDR without remote
  3. Receive $700 for your used DAC1 PRE
  4. Receive $600 for your used DAC1 USB
  5. Receive $500 for your used DAC1
  6. Receive up to $400 for any non-Benchmark D/A converter*
* Limit 50% of original MSRP on non-Benchmark D/A converters - call or email for a quote on non-Benchmark trades.

Limitations:

1. Trade-in must be working and in good to excellent condition (normal wear and tear, and minor scratches are acceptable)
  2. All orders must be placed from our online store: benchmarkmedia.com
  3. Orders must be placed between April 5 and midnight April 14, 2016
  4. USA and Canada orders only (USA and Canada billing and shipping addresses only!)
  5. Limit one trade-in for each DAC2 purchased
  6. Trade-in must be shipped to Benchmark no more than 7 days after you receive your DAC2

How it Works - 3 Easy Steps:

• Order the DAC2 of your choice from benchmarkmedia.com, we will charge the full price of the DAC2 when we ship (free ground shipping)
  • You must ship your used D/A within 7 days after receiving your new DAC2 (write your order number on the outside of the package, insure your return shipment, and use a carrier that provides tracking)
  • Email your order number and tracking number to sales@benchmarkmedia.com

What we will do:

• When your trade-in arrives at Benchmark we will verify that it is working and in good condition (allow 1 business day for evaluation)
  • When we accept your trade-in, we will issue a refund on your credit card for the trade-in amount (allow 1 additional business day)

What if I decide to keep my existing D/A and my new DAC2?

Want to keep your old D/A and set up a second room?
If you decide to keep both products, no further action is required. Your trade-in will automatically be canceled if you do not ship your trade-in within 7 days after receiving your DAC2

What happens if Benchmark rejects my trade-in?

1. In the rare case that we reject your trade-in, we will return your D/A at our expense.
  2. You may then keep your DAC2 or return it in like-new condition for a full refund.
  3. To receive a refund, your DAC2 must be returned within 30 days of your purchase or within 7 days after you receive the return of your rejected trade-in (whichever comes last).
  4. You must call 1-800-262-4675 or 1-315-437-6300 to request an RMA# to return the DAC2.
  5. Shipments should be properly packed, insured and trackable.

Upgrade today and enjoy the benefits of a new Benchmark DAC2 converter!

Read the reviews →
DAC2 Product Page →

OFFER EXPIRES MIDNIGHT April 14, 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Back