A new reference from AKG?
Feb 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #62 of 137

Quote:
what the....

akg is not a brand based on £12 throwaway earbuds.

So let's try to find the cheapest and crappiest stuff that sennheiser and beyer make. The cx300's come to mind. I don't think what these things sound like gives an inkling the T1 or the HD800 sound- agreed.

Right now on the market AKG's best open phone is the £230 k702 and it's best closed phone is the £230 K550. btw, I always quote current/recent staple amazon uk prices- not rrp's or anything else.

The k702 competes very well in the sub £300 open headphone market. And similarly does the k550 in the closed market. I honestly find it sounds better than beyerdynamics 'best' closed headphone the £800 T5p- clearly the k550 punches above it's weight.

And although I haven't heard the £1000 k3003, a few who have say it competes with £800 customs. Now if it does AND it's a universal headphone, then that's impressive. Why? If you've got customs or are deeply in the process of getting them (like me) you'll know exactly how much of a hassel it is with customs. To buy a custom iem requires a lot of work. So far I've been to 4 different doctors, 2 nurses, made around 15 phone calls, 2 audiologists, etc..AND the audiologist hasn't let me have my ear impressions taken yet. It feels like i've been thrown around like a dummy.

I'm not a die hard akg fan. Actually, I won't say I am an akg fan. But all this akg hate is actually unfair.
How come sennheiser can get away with releasing a 'new' ie80 that is actually a painted ie8, charge £100 more. In the states around $200 more.

And how come beyer can get away with selling some awful closed headphones. The dt770/600 is plain awful, now that all versions come with the bass holes. The t5p is a complete joke for £800. And I don't expect much from the £450 t70p either. Further, beyers cheap earbuds/iem/portable headphones are awful- DEFINITELY worse than akg's for sure.

At least akg's range in the higher prices doesn't include any stinking lemons.

I don't think you know or understand AKG's history.  I'm tired of repeating it in these threads, so I won't bother. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #63 of 137
i understand the present. Today.

afterall, isn't that where we are.

to tell the truth i dont care what they used to produce. I only ever concern myslef with what they sell now- and its not bad at all.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #64 of 137
Well, even if it is Harman, I at least hope to see this supposed flagship so that this matter can finally be put to rest. Even if it is studded with rhinestones and is endorsed by an artist I don't care for. If it is good, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it is underwhelming, I can stop caring. Of course, if they suddenly start releasing pink/purple/rainbow revisions of the K701, I think I can safely write them off. At this rate though, the HD1000 will be here before then. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #66 of 137
well clearly you're an 'oldie' type of headfier.

i just don't like this discontent of their history spilling over to effect the interest in their current crop of headphones. The interest in the k550 has been very underwhelming so far.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #68 of 137

Quote:
well clearly you're an 'oldie' type of headfier.
i just don't like this discontent of their history spilling over to effect the interest in their current crop of headphones. The interest in the k550 has been very underwhelming so far.

I really cant say much about them, I haven't heard them.. however from what I read on Head-fi.. and my animosity of i********, I think they deserve it. I will now bring something up which some might not understand here.

The problem with the iTransformation of AKG, from the perspective of a businessman. 

AKG is a company with not a lot of commercial success on the present iMarket (if we can call the consumer electronics market like that). What they are attempting to do, is to transform a company which used to produce quality audio gear for professionals and audiophiles, into a consumer electronic manufacturer.

What they fail to see is that, a company with almost no reputation at all amongst consumers cannot place its products like for example: Bose, Monster, BO, Scullcandy, even Sennheiser. 

Customers will always prefer Bose as their noise cancelling headphone, and Beats by dre their show off headphone, or their "no-name" quality headphone with Sennheiser. Because that is how consumers perceive these manufacturers. "Oh YEAAA Beats are sooo COOL, but some geeks that know about audio, think that Bose are better, they might be right" These people have no idea what is going on beyond that circle.

What happens when AKG comes in, they are regarded as a complete outsider. They don't look cool, sound good to the consumer taste, or have the show off function. They are absolutely geeky in a world of "absolute coolness".

Therefore.. harman are absolute losers cos they don't understand this. I would much rather compete on a smaller market especially having already built a name there, rather than wasting money on marketing to look like a complete moron in front of a larger group of ignorant morons.

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #69 of 137
AKG used to make very interesting innovative cans that where very carefully voiced.
Today they all their cans have some sort of flaw that ruins the party.
The built quality of the K240mkII and K242HD is bad compared to the old 600 Ohm models, and so is the sound.

To replace old models with new ones that are worse then the old is what AKG/Harman has done for a while now, all their best cans have been discontinued.
Then you can say 'but the Q701 fixes many of the K701/2's problems' fine, but why did it have to take so long to make it sound like it should have from the beginning?

Feb 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #70 of 137

Quote:
Well, even if it is Harman, I at least hope to see this supposed flagship so that this matter can finally be put to rest. Even if it is studded with rhinestones and is endorsed by an artist I don't care for. If it is good, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it is underwhelming, I can stop caring. Of course, if they suddenly start releasing pink/purple/rainbow revisions of the K701, I think I can safely write them off. At this rate though, the HD1000 will be here before then. 

The HD1000 was already here.

Anyway, AKG still has the ability to put out great sounding equipment, as evidenced by the excellent (though overpriced) K3003. I advice people who criticize the brand to at least give that particular IEM a try if possible. It's certainly a step in the right direction, and that's from someone who absolutely HATED the K701.

Put the K3003 sound into a flagship headphone, and you'd actually have a decent flagship/.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #71 of 137

Quote:
The HD1000 was already here.

Ha, I didn't realize that even existed. Apparently it was average at best at the time, and completely destroyed by the HD580. Probably worth a pretty penny. Back on topic, I would actually really love to listen to the K3003, but my ears are not partial to IEMs, especially universals. The price range is also far too high. Why does AKG/Harman tease us with such a high end product in such a stale marketing segment? Everyone knows that customs belong in this price range, not universals.

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #72 of 137

Quote:
i understand the present. Today.
afterall, isn't that where we are.
to tell the truth i dont care what they used to produce. I only ever concern myslef with what they sell now- and its not bad at all.

See, the problem is that they may be selling things that are decent, but going from what they have done before, it's hard not to be at least a little disappointed with Harman's hold on AKG.

The K240 Sextett production was stopped because cost to manufacture was too high. It's not like they can't do that now (if they want to gain popularity) with the K240 MKII's retail being 75% more expensive than it's predecessor. They could retune the driver to be less bassy and engineer radiators that actually work well. Considering the popularity of the Sextetts, making a better, modern version of them would probably get quite a few buyers. Sure, they'd make less profit and R&D would be quite expensive, but it's better than completely losing a fanbase.

Even if AKG didn't make a K1000 successor, it'd be okay as long as they make something that addresses the K701's flaws. And frankly, I don't get why the HD800 sounds like it does at all. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #75 of 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Back