a new budget IEM: Maximo iM-390
Sep 18, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #61 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't checked this thread for a while and it seems that people are not hearing what I did, most likely because this is the old version which I agree did not sound good and even after drilling out the port and partially correcting the tonal balance, the newer version runs rings around them. I use mine to commute to and from work everyday and they serve the purpose very well. Not once have I been tempted to go back to amped KSC75's. They are not in the league of my K501's but then I doubt any budget earphones are. I still recommend the iM-390's and would advise that people who want to hear them don't try for the cheapest deal as you will end up with the early version and possible disappointment..dB

I haven't cehcked this thread in a while either.. i have been using the newer version(the one dBel's recommending) for the past few weeks(over 200 hours of playing time on these). IN that space of time, i have dropped them , pulled the wire quite aggressively (accidentally of course) and they still sound really really good. I have given up on the KSC75s as these beat the crap out of them, unamped even. My DAP goes waay longer when i am listening to these as they require very little volume on my DAP to sing.
Get the new version and you will not be disappointed...however one sour note is that the driver crinkles are still persistent on mine. The left one is more accentuated than the right one.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #62 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad if that's the case. But what does it say about a company that releases a sub-standard version at all. I bought a pair from Buy.com, which did not specify old vs. new, etc., when they shipped them.

tstarn, two weeks ago people here seemed pretty well advised that they'd need to wait until later Sept to be sure the old ones had cleared the channel. You went for it anyway ("it's no big deal").

Quote:

Plus, since they are so inferior to the "new" model...

Clearly, you don't like the old model as much as others here who have tried it and commented. No problem. But given that, it also seems more likely that you may not like the new one as much as others here who have already tried it. The point is, don't feel so cheated out of something good, at least before actually knowing that it is any good.

Quote:

...seems to me Maximo should have issued a recall and/or gave anyone who bought the "old' version a straight-up exchange or replacement.

Yet, did you ever actually ask for it? We understand that consumers can always return our products to the store, and we'd much rather have them work directly with us instead (otherwise, the cost of multiple shippings and paperwork can exceed the value of the product). We also understand how much it sucks to buy something that doesn't work, then have to spend more money on shipping just to get one that does. In many cases, we won't even require the old product back for exchange (unless our engineers need it for study).

Quote:

Too late for me, since I have the old ones I bought away. A smart company trying to get a leg up in the low-budget canalphone market should have pulled the initial version from the shelves completely, rather than let inventories be sold. Just seems logical.

Except that the initial version has been out there since the beginning of this year. And with generally very positive feedback, although of course that can be taken with a grain of salt, as our target customer has not been someone who goes home and cranks up their K1000's. It's only since our newer versions were being phased in that we ever considered to introduce them to the head-fi community, and that was only after getting reasonably good early feedback from a handful of head-fi'ers at a recent local meet. And unfortunately our timing for getting the new ones fully phased in has been a few weeks later than expected, which leaves us where we are now.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #63 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tstarn, two weeks ago people here seemed pretty well advised that they'd need to wait until later Sept to be sure the old ones had cleared the channel. You went for it anyway ("it's no big deal").

Clearly, you don't like the old model as much as others here who have tried it and commented. No problem. But given that, it also seems more likely that you may not like the new one as much as others here who have already tried it. The point is, don't feel so cheated out of something good, at least before actually knowing that it is any good.

Yet, did you ever actually ask for it? We understand that consumers can always return our products to the store, and we'd much rather have them work directly with us instead (otherwise, the cost of multiple shippings and paperwork can exceed the value of the product). We also understand how much it sucks to buy something that doesn't work, then have to spend more money on shipping just to get one that does. In many cases, we won't even require the old product back for exchange (unless our engineers need it for study).

Except that the initial version has been out there since the beginning of this year. And with generally very positive feedback, although of course that can be taken with a grain of salt, as our target customer has not been someone who goes home and cranks up their K1000's. It's only since our newer versions were being phased in that we ever considered to introduce them to the head-fi community, and that was only after getting reasonably good early feedback from a handful of head-fi'ers at a recent local meet. And unfortunately our timing for getting the new ones fully phased in has been a few weeks later than expected, which leaves us where we are now.

Fair enough. My UPS guy was happy to get the original version. When I ordered, I had sort of forgotten about the new vs. old version. My main gripe is the apparent vast difference between the two (based on posts here). I'd be glad to hear the new version, and be willing to work with Maximo in getting a pair. But as I said, I gave away the original set (I certainly have my receipt from Google checkout). PM me to let me know what I should do next.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #64 of 150
Wow,... boy wished I had heard those words from Andrew before ordering my second pair from Buy.com. True, Buy.com agreed to allow me to send the first pair back, but like Andrew says, sometimes the cost of shipping things back can be costly. Like tstarn06, I'll probably be giving my first purchase away,... my son has already called dibbs on them. So I'll have two of these Maximo's in the family/household, the 1st purchase (old version) and the 2nd purchase (new version). I dunno,... maybe a good thing, we'll have to see! They seem to be very popular in his circle. Sadly, I can take advantage of the rebate on only one pair. One thing's for sure though,... I certainly would not have purchased a second pair had I read Andrew's latest post first.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #65 of 150
Some people can be so harsh. I suppose Denon shouldn't have released the C700 and should have waited and released the C751 first. How about Futuresonics releasing the original FS1 with those horrible tips and not fixing that for a longer time while still wanting over $100 for them(they knew and eventually changed them). I had them and understood why people gave those a good bashing. Come on! Improving products is a good thing! Better to look with a glass half full view then saying they released a sub-standard product. I got the first one before the info about new/old and made the best of it and had some fun. I don't regret it or feel I made a mistake.

Again, I have owned th ER4P/S, Triple.fi 10 and had some time with an E500. Also my modded Super.fi 3's which bests them all in some or many technical aspects plus have my favorite frequency balance. I still think even the first version 390 is neither "terrible" or a mistake to purchase. These phones' design are very fit dependent and will clear the veil when correctly inserted. They take a bit of practice. I believe the first versions particular problem is big, muddying bass. Simple reduction of gain on my IFP-899, for example, clears that up fairly easily. The Ety requires more EQ adjustment as do some other phones.The 390's use a similar amount of adjustment as almost all the the phones I've had to get the best out of them. With the different earphone designs and ear canal shapes, you are losing out if you don't use some EQ(decent non-crap one of course) to fix the issues and differences. Fit correctly, I stand by when I say the first version compares unamped with the PK2 when both are EQ'd to their best and also through and no-EQ source that is not very warm. The PK2 is more well behaved with warmer sources and no EQ adjustment as the 390 will get muddy. I am sure the new version may be better than just the older just EQ'd to fix the bass issue but the first version is hardly as terrible as a stock earbud or substandard.

I will also give mine to someone since neither they or the PK2 can really make more than a decent showing vs. my 3's. I need the non-isolating Yuins' for work or I would not keep them either. I don't judge the 390 against the high end but in their $30-ish price range, from my experience with the first version, the new version will be one of the better deals out there. Also, the involvement and actions of the likes of Andrew, Peter(Jays) and the others on this board is helpful and appreciated. This can only be good for us in the long run even if some things may not be perfect from the start.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #66 of 150
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for actually showing some concern over your product, its refreshing. How about an exchange program for us Head-Fi-ers who rushed out to get them, only to find they've been superceeded by a better, updated, version.

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #67 of 150
Dr p,
It's a reasonable (if no somewhat expected) request. I'll see what we can put together. And thanks for your positive comments. (We'll pretend it's not just a scheme to "butter me up"!!)

Not sure how many others here picked them up already, but one thing I am thinking is to limit any "upgrade" program to existing h-f members. Just so that people don't come here just to sign up and claim their "me too", then disappear forever. So perhaps the cutoff date should be today (so as to include ericpd). Seems fair, or any concerns?

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #68 of 150
Hi Andrew
That sounds completely agreeable to me. After reading the initial posts on this thread, I remembered seeing the IM-390s and bought a pair. I like them, but was kind of disappointed whren I learned of the newer version. The older ones sound good, but...
On the plus side, they are attractive, seem well built, and a lifetime guarantee doesn't hurt.
I know they aren't considered high end, but it is nice too see that the manufacturer does care, even at that price point.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #69 of 150
Quote:

Dr p,
It's a reasonable (if no somewhat expected) request. I'll see what we can put together. And thanks for your positive comments. (We'll pretend it's not just a scheme to "butter me up"!!)

Not sure how many others here picked them up already, but one thing I am thinking is to limit any "upgrade" program to existing h-f members. Just so that people don't come here just to sign up and claim their "me too", then disappear forever. So perhaps the cutoff date should be today (so as to include ericpd). Seems fair, or any concerns?

Wow...this is completely unexpected. Regardless of what you actually decide, thanks for even considering it in the first place! Let us know how you want to handle it from our end should things move forward. Sadly, I no longer have my UPC code (submitted it for rebate), but I still have my receipt & packing slip. Just let us know.

I am another one who was less than impressed with the old version, but was strategizing a way to construct a review (as I said I would) as to be honest with my dissatisfaction, but 'professional' and dispassionate at the same time. Actually, I thought the old versions sounded *great* right out of the box...clear/airy highs, punchy, articulate bass, reasonably smooth mids...all for $22. I was extremely surprised & considered the possibility that they may have bested my MylarOne X3s, although I couldn't A/B them at the time as I was waiting for the mail to deliver my replacement set (they have since been delivered to me).

Then I let the old version burn in with pink noise for 36 hours straight and almost everything changed for the worse. The highs became less clear/airy, mids remained decent, and the bass declined in punch (at least to my ears). The most notable change was the massive drop in the clarity/presence of the highs though. Had to max out my treble EQ to get it to what I would call a near reasonable level. Ultimately, this was the deal-breaker for me as I absolutely need clear/airy highs to be truly happy with any set of 'cans'.

One of the original posters mentioned the tonal imbalance they experienced in their set (possibly dB), and I think I am experiencing the same basic issue, although I may be perceiving it in a different way. I also found the driver crunchiness somewhat disconcerting, but managed to minimize it at the expense of some isolation. On the plus side, I loved the aluminum housing & the overall look of the canal phones. They definitely seem like they can take a beating! A interesting change from my X3s, but at the end of the day, it is all about the sound.

All in all, I wasn't that disappointed being out $22. I've spent more $$$ in less time on much more frivolous things, and I enjoyed comparing these to my x3s over the last couple of weeks. IMO, the Maximos (v1) were better than my JVC Marshmallows, but not nearly as good as my X3s. Actually, when you compare the cost of these canal phones, perhaps that is what I should have expected in the first place! I admit though that I'd love the opportunity to exchange my old version set for a updated version if possible (with, of course, an updated review)!

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #70 of 150
Well said Amish. Funny, but I didn't even listen to the IM-390s out of the box. I went right to the pink noise file/burn-in for 40-50 hours. Hmmm. Maybe we ruined them with pink noise? It doesn't make sense, but it could have happened. Anyway, Andrew H really has come through for Head-Fi customers on this one. He and I had already shared a few PMs about the newer version situation, and he was more than fair. I kinda hate the word, but kudos to Andrew and Maximo for doing the right thing - not something you can say for many consumer companies these days.

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #71 of 150
Quote:

Dr p,

hi andrew,
i've been reading post in this forum before purchasing these earphones.
i purchased a pair from buy.com earlier this week. but,after reading these latest post, i feel very dissapointed that i'm receiving a lesser product. i would to be included in this upgrade program. i can't wait to add my post to this forum.
thanx,
Ndugu X

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #72 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by ndugu_x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi andrew,
i've been reading post in this forum before purchasing these earphones.
i purchased a pair from buy.com earlier this week. but,after reading these latest post, i feel very dissapointed that i'm receiving a lesser product. i would to be included in this upgrade program. i can't wait to add my post to this forum.
thanx,
Ndugu X

An excellent first post ndugu. Have you received your 390's yet? I received mine earlier today. Trying to do a proper burn-in thing, I'm hoping a day or two is sufficient. I'm just gonna hook'em up to the iTunes on the laptop and select RadioIO Jazz and walk away. Gotta say,... I like them so far. They sound better than I expected after reading all the lesser/old vs greater/new stuff. Don't get me wrong,... there is room for improvement. I'd prefer the mid-range not to be so far out in-front (especially accoustical piano) and the bass could use some tightening up. But the highs are nice outta da box. Voices are nice also. I'm resisting using iTunes' EQ just yet.

Soon I'll be in a position to compare the original and revised units. I think I'll wait to see if the sonic differences merit launching a request at Andrew.

I suggest trying them out for a period before approaching Andrew H. Let's try and use him,... not abuse him! Just my 2 cents!

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #74 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been a long time coming..here area a few pics of the newer version..

Maximo 1
Maximo 2
Maximo 3

Cheers,
Sachu

Thanks Sachu. Just what I expected. Just like most in here have said, the only way to distinquish the two builds is the missing 'm' on the back of the driver housing. Any major sonic differences so far?

One thing I just discovered,... the tips DO make a difference. I put the largest tips on in place of the ones that were attached in the package. Big difference. Can't wait to get my revised units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back