A Motherboard with usb dac's in mind
Mar 7, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #31 of 39
According to streacom the riser does not fit into the 5 case. I was hoping it was possible to bend the pipes a bit.
The termal issues should not be so big ... planning to use a very low power cpu and only use the build for AV tasks. But that's of course just theory .. and your exp doesnt sound encouraging

Yeah, I was really surprised at the cpu heat. I triple checked everything and have some experience mounting heat pipes. Found out others had similar issues. I believe the heatsink design may be the issue, lacking enough depth or surface area for the heat generated (at least compared to my other builds using Zalman and Nofan hardware).

Unless you plan to use a 25w amd am1 cpu (streacom makes a mount for it), intel's coolest running cpus with igpu are 35w.

The Streacom 5 is much wider compared to the 8 so I don't know that it'll have all the same issues. Spreading things out should at least help with hard drive heat (theoretically). And the riser (if used) might add the extra beefiness the heatsink needs.

Good luck.

Mar 7, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #32 of 39
Yeah, I was really surprised at the cpu heat. I triple checked everything and have some experience mounting heat pipes. Found out others had similar issues. I believe the heatsink design may be the issue, lacking enough depth or surface area for the heat generated (at least compared to my other builds using Zalman and Nofan hardware).

Unless you plan to use a 25w amd am1 cpu (streacom makes a mount for it), intel's coolest running cpus with igpu are 35w.

The Streacom 5 is much wider compared to the 8 so I don't know that it'll have all the same issues. Spreading things out should at least help with hard drive heat (theoretically). And the riser (if used) might add the extra beefiness the heatsink needs.

Good luck.

Thx for all the tips. Planning to keep all very simple and as lowpower as possible. Lowpower ram, lowpower cpu and just a small m2 drive. Or even an SD card. My media is on the NAS, only need space for the OS.
Now I just need some time. And prolly wont have any before may. We'll see

Aug 9, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #33 of 39
I have Z87 chipset motherboard without USB DAC support, seems newer generations have this function.
Is there some inexpensive PCI-e USB card which support usb power-off function?
I don't want to spend 400-500 EUR for an audiophile card like SOtM Audio tX-USBexp, but some cheap card supporting functions offered by Gigabyte would be nice.

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #34 of 39
Originally Posted by blackie333 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is there some inexpensive PCI-e USB card which support usb power-off function?

Break the +5V pin of your USB cable and you're good to go
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #35 of 39
ASRock Z790 Taichi Lite motherboard has two Lightning Gaming Ports which are
"Aaimed for die hard gamers and enthusiasts! Lightning Gaming Ports are sourced from two different controller interfaces that assist gamers in connecting the high speed mice/keyboard with the lower jitter and latency!"
I wonder if these ports will be good to connect a DAC?

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #37 of 39
ASRock Z790 Taichi Lite motherboard has two Lightning Gaming Ports which are
"Aaimed for die hard gamers and enthusiasts! Lightning Gaming Ports are sourced from two different controller interfaces that assist gamers in connecting the high speed mice/keyboard with the lower jitter and latency!"
I wonder if these ports will be good to connect a DAC?
I think too many way overthink things - don't believe the hype, near all but the cheapest PC's onboard USB ports are more than adequate for DAC use.

And yes, I use my PC's USB port to connect my DAC to PC. Zero issues.

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #38 of 39
I had an terrible experience with an Creative X5 dac/amp connecting to my fairly old desktop its still high end though, no special USB ports exactly but the Creative dac had terrible USB EMI interference noise coming from it.

I tried it on an desktop PC from 20+ years ago in its usb 2.0 port and it worked flawless, this however does not mean USB 2.0 is better I tried it on a 3rd PC from 15 years old and its usb 2.0 port had the same interference noise.

I believe they have not grounded or shielded the internal hardware within the dac properly, my Artic Pro wireless USB break out box has the same issue with constant white noise which is not good really.

In general some do advise to try USB 2.0 though over USB 3.0, its worth perhaps just trying both out if you have issue. Id imagine with better manufacturers that know what they are doing like Topping and Schiit they won't have this issue.

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #39 of 39
In general some do advise to try USB 2.0 though over USB 3.0, its worth perhaps just trying both out if you have issue. Id imagine with better manufacturers that know what they are doing like Topping and Schiit they won't have this issue.
Be aware most devices today still use USB 2.0 as it's not about transfer speeds but simple data output. In short it doesn't matter if it's 2.0 or 3.0, 3.1, or 3.2.

If you look at the instructions of any USB device, here the Burson Conductor 3X GT (PDF File), it simply says USB. It doesn't distinguish between 2 and 3. It is the driver that you will need to download that will handle the signaling from the USB port. Port speeds are irrelevant here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back