A little overwhelmed, need some Beyerdynamic help.
Jul 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking into headphones I might get in the future, and the Beyerdynamics have caught my eye. But there's so many different types!

There's the DT770's in 3 variations, DT880's in 3 variations, and DT990's in 3 variations!

Not really interested in the D770's, since I'm looking into open 'phones, but can someone give me a rundown of the differences of the other two and all their variations? As far as sound goes anyway, I know they all have difference impedance ratings. Any particular one to stay away from?

Also, how would something like a Little Dot MK IV power them?

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 13
The MK IV will drive any of them just fine.

The Pro series is considered to be inferior to the Premium line.  They are quite a bit cheaper, but it's usually worth the extra money for the newer versions, which came out in 2005.

The DT880 is known for being quite balanced, but a bit bass light.  If you care more about midrange and clarity than anything else, the 880 is what you want.  They will all have a similar sound signature, but as you move up through the 32, 250 and 600 ohm versions, the drivers get lighter and faster, which allows the 600 ohm one to deliver higher sound quality, with less brightness in the high end.

With the DT990, you sacrifice some of that beautiful midrange for power at either end.  They have some of the best bass I've ever heard from a pair of headphones, but that comes at the cost of a bit of midrange clarity and focus.  It's not horribly sucked out, but they are not mid-centric.  The 990s also have a tendency towards brightness, which means you should stay away from them if you're allergic to treble.  Driven properly, though, especially with tubes, many people around here find the 990/600 to be one of the most musical headphones in its price range.  Again, the move up to 600 ohms gives you a bit more balance, better contained treble, and overall clarity.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 13
Coming from the MDR-V6's, I don't think I'd have a problem with treble. lol.

Any difference with soundstage? Or are they all within the same league?

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 13
I think the the 990s have the best soundstage.  I don't have much long experience with the 880s, but I do with the 990s and they seemed to have a better soundstage than what I've read about the 880s.

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 13
Nice comparison and contrast.  Thank you!
The way you describe the DT990 [which I have never tried, BTW], it reminds me of the DT880/2003 version [which I happen to like very much].
Are you able to comment on similarities/differences between the DT880/2003 and the DT990 [250 or 600 ohm model]?
Thanks again!

Quote:
The MK IV will drive any of them just fine.

The Pro series is considered to be inferior to the Premium line.  They are quite a bit cheaper, but it's usually worth the extra money for the newer versions, which came out in 2005.

The DT880 is known for being quite balanced, but a bit bass light.  If you care more about midrange and clarity than anything else, the 880 is what you want.  They will all have a similar sound signature, but as you move up through the 32, 250 and 600 ohm versions, the drivers get lighter and faster, which allows the 600 ohm one to deliver higher sound quality, with less brightness in the high end.

With the DT990, you sacrifice some of that beautiful midrange for power at either end.  They have some of the best bass I've ever heard from a pair of headphones, but that comes at the cost of a bit of midrange clarity and focus.  It's not horribly sucked out, but they are not mid-centric.  The 990s also have a tendency towards brightness, which means you should stay away from them if you're allergic to treble.  Driven properly, though, especially with tubes, many people around here find the 990/600 to be one of the most musical headphones in its price range.  Again, the move up to 600 ohms gives you a bit more balance, better contained treble, and overall clarity.

Jul 23, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 13
I have the DT 880 600 ohms.

They are not bass light but also not bass heavy and booming.

They got a nice thump to it and the bass sounds great if the album has good bass.
But this isn't a miracle fix it headphone if the bass isn't recorded well or done well or mixed down or out the headphone isn't going to provide it or put it back in.
The treble,mids and detail are all great I don't find anything fatiguing about them.
I really have no complaints.

For all versions its the 600 ohms version is the one to get.
But the 32 ohms version is also considered good at least for 880.
Really haven't heard anyone say anything about 990 32 ohm version.

The 250 ohms version is the ones that seem to have flaws and some people scratch their head as to why Beyer even makes that version.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #9 of 13

With the DT990, you sacrifice some of that beautiful midrange for power at either end.  They have some of the best bass I've ever heard from a pair of headphones, but that comes at the cost of a bit of midrange clarity and focus.  It's not horribly sucked out, but they are not mid-centric.  The 990s also have a tendency towards brightness, which means you should stay away from them if you're allergic to treble.  Driven properly, though, especially with tubes, many people around here find the 990/600 to be one of the most musical headphones in its price range.  Again, the move up to 600 ohms gives you a bit

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 13
I find that a bit unfair. The Pro line are basically identical to the Premiums except that they have a bit more clamping force, so for the DT990 this means even more bass and a bit less soundstage, and the construction is slightly different

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 13
I haven't heard consumer compared to pro but pro price sure is cheaper and is better bang-for-the-buck. DT990pro at L&M in Canada are only $165.00 and I think that is probably the best deal going in Canada on a good headphone.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 13
I have the Pros and the only thing I want to change is the grilles on the side of the cups. I wonder if they can be replaced...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back