a little help - music on DVDs
Aug 30, 2008 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

G-man

Formerly known as gautam
hi. i was hoping one of you may be able to help me.
basically, this is my situation:

all my music is ripped onto my computer via EAC (well almost all). and as far as i am aware, all has a non compliant .cue file.
now my father decides that he wants all of my jazz etc so that he can play them in his office.
the player there can play DVDs, with music in it.
now is there any of putting the music on it so that it acts as a DVDA? (i think that is what i want). in other words, he wants to be able to play the DVDs so that there are only 3 or 4 of them rather than 25 or 30 CDs.

now the way EAC does it is converts it to wav (well you have to do that) and then using the .cue file it writes the CDs. but can this be done to dvds? ie, write multiple CDs to one DVD using this method?

and is there a program that converts it to wav, and writes it onto the CD?
i found :
AutoFLAC | LegRoom.net
but i am not sure whether or not it does what i want.

any and all help will be much appreciated.

thanks

G-man

Aug 30, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 8
Making a DVD-A is not quite as trivial as it should be , but it may also not be necessary or advisable.

First off not all DVD players will play DVD-A discs - none of my three players will do this - but they will all play audio files burned on CD/DVD as MP3 or WAV files in a directory structure.

To create such a disc just assemble a directory structure with the music files you want as MP3 or WAV drop it into a burning program like NERO and burn it as a data disc.

Before expending too much energy I suggest you ascertain the make/model of your progenitor's DVD player and find out what burned and commercial disc types and file types it supports - among my DVD players one plays only DVD-R and another plays only DVD+R...

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 8
well, i did realise that it doesn't play DVDAs, so that is not an option. it can play both +and -, so that should not be a problem.
i know that burning the .wav files is an option, but i was hoping to use the ,cue files to play it as multiple cds. is that even possible?

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i did realise that it doesn't play DVDAs, so that is not an option. it can play both +and -, so that should not be a problem.
i know that burning the .wav files is an option, but i was hoping to use the ,cue files to play it as multiple cds. is that even possible?

I do not know for certain. However, a cue files includes linear positioning information viz start and duration information so it seems unlikely that you can just burn several cue files together on one disc as you would have pointers out of sequence. NERO certainly will not let you burn >1 cue file.

You could edit several cue files into one large cue file perhaps but then you are no better off than a big list of tracks.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not know for certain. However, a cue files includes linear positioning information viz start and duration information so it seems unlikely that you can just burn several cue files together on one disc as you would have pointers out of sequence. NERO certainly will not let you burn >1 cue file.

You could edit several cue files into one large cue file perhaps but then you are no better off than a big list of tracks.

well, i knew what the .cue files were, and had edited some of the file named, but the idea of editing (or merging) 2 cue files slipped me. i will try and see how they work, and will try and merge them.
if that doesn't work then ill just burn the .wav files.

is there a program that automatically converts .flac into .wav, burn them onto dvs, and then deletes the .wav (leaving the flac files). that would save me a lot of hassle.

a LOT of hassle.

thanks again for all you help.

G-man

edit:
well it does work (i think, still not 100%), but it is just to much hassle. i mean to do that to 30ish .cue files will take HOURS!!.
so back to burning .wav

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there a program that automatically converts .flac into .wav, burn them onto dvs, and then deletes the .wav (leaving the flac files). that would save me a lot of hassle.

NERO can do this, converting flac to wav as required but you will need to install the FLAC plug-in.

Nero Audio Plugins | BitBurners.com

You can download an evaluation copy of NERO and use it for 15 days
Nero – Nero 8 - Trial

Aug 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Aug 31, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 8
thanks. but i used media monkey. my favourite music program just got fravouriter!!
but yea, i might do that (the mp3 thing).
its just my dad didn't want too many files on one dvd so that he doesn't have to pres next 50ish times, so i thought might as well put them in flac.
i tried burning one with wav, but there was a problem with the burn, and only half the track played on my comp, and none on the dvd player. as far as i am aware, all players play .wav, so it shouldnt be problem with the second disk that i am burning right now.

ok, that didnt work either. i think the problem may be the disc structure, or the .wav thing, i am pretty sure it plays .wav, so it must be structure, should they be under a folder called music or something?
also, the second disk didnt have a .m3u play list (even though i asked for it, it might be a structure thing). do dvd players need that to play music?
and i cant really experiment anymore as i only have DVD+Rs, and have wasted two already.

thanks for all your help

G-man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back