A little about the Campfire Audio Lyra
Feb 2, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #241 of 277
  I am after a dynamic iem and the Lyra is among those I have in my sight, other options are:

- AK x Beyerdynamic T8iE 
- Dita Anwer

I have heard Lyra and T8iE, I found the latter more comfortable and fitting to the ear, but the Lyra was clearly clearer, and vocals were less veiled, bass was good on both, and Lyra sounded more dynamic. Both are not as clear as BAs like 846 / K10. I have also tried Dita long ago but forgot the details of the impressions. None of these jumped out as a clear winner .... Anyone has tried these and can chime in? 

Had both and the Lyra is clearly the tiny-bit veiled one (or more velvety if you get what I mean), the T8 is crystal clear and ANYTHING BUT veiled. The fit with the Lyra is easy and ready, while the T8's fit is finnicky and needs some practice and tips pairing to get the optimal sound.

That said, both are very enjoyable and are more or less on the same level. T8: Clear, lightning fast and energetic; Lyra: chunky, meaty and comfy (in both listening and wearing terms). Over time my Lyra had became warmer than the original warm sound out of the box, though it's still not overly so, with some highs grinded out while the bass became more solid.

Feb 3, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #242 of 277

Had both and the Lyra is clearly the tiny-bit veiled one (or more velvety if you get what I mean), the T8 is crystal clear and ANYTHING BUT veiled. The fit with the Lyra is easy and ready, while the T8's fit is finnicky and needs some practice and tips pairing to get the optimal sound.

That said, both are very enjoyable and are more or less on the same level. T8: Clear, lightning fast and energetic; Lyra: chunky, meaty and comfy (in both listening and wearing terms). Over time my Lyra had became warmer than the original warm sound out of the box, though it's still not overly so, with some highs grinded out while the bass became more solid.

Yes I apologize as I tried T8iE again yesterday and the clatiy was astounding, even more so with the AK x Crystal Cable Next silver cable, but the pair I tried did have over 500 hours of burn-in. 

Which one do you own? If 'no', which one would you rather own? 

Feb 8, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #243 of 277
Feb 9, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #245 of 277
How'd you guys get so lucky d marc0?

It's really more on how dedicated a bunch of members in Australia and New Zealand are. We embrace the head-fi culture of sharing and supporting one another for the betterment of our hobby in terms of personal and collective experience. I guess Campfire Audio has seen that and gives well regard for such behaviour in this community.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #246 of 277
It's really more on how dedicated a bunch of members in Australia and New Zealand are. We embrace the head-fi culture of sharing and supporting one another for the betterment of our hobby in terms of personal and collective experience. I guess Campfire Audio has seen that and gives well regard for such behaviour in this community.

I'm happy you get to hear the collection and am eager to hear what you guys think. I've heard them and have my own thoughts.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #247 of 277
I'm happy you get to hear the collection and am eager to hear what you guys think. I've heard them and have my own thoughts.

Thanks mate, we're all very excited too!

Feb 10, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #248 of 277
Feb 15, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #249 of 277

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #250 of 277
Mar 4, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #251 of 277
just chiming in for a sec 
anyone try and flip the lyra's left and right?
Is way better comfort and isolation = better sound for me.
flipped

normal

Synergys great!  I use with the Plenue D currently and SXC 8 cable, flipped left and right, is great!

Mar 4, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #252 of 277
That's way cool. Never thought of that. You know, left is Left and right is right, was taught that back in grade school. Will have to see how this works out, thanks for the suggestion.

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #253 of 277
@Wyd4  has posted his review of the LYRA!

Check it out here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-lyra/reviews/15435

I think ALO/Campfire Audio have produced something that sounds safe, likable, sturdy, Beautiful, sleek.  They have accessorised it with quality items and packaged all that goodness up in a horribly ugly cardboard box.  While I think they do sound very good, I also feel at the price of $1100au, there are other offerings available that provide similar quality sound or better, at the cost of ergonomics and build quality.  I think if this was pitched at $899-$999 It would be a great-good buy, at $1100 for me it has branched into a new level of expectation, for which I think sonically it falls just shy of.  All this being said, it would certainly make my shortlist of suggestions should someone ask me to recommend an iem if they had the money, as as much as we would all hate to admit, its not always about JUST sound.  Its about how we use things, how we see things and how we feel about things too.  Well it is for me.

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #254 of 277
I received my Lyra today and I'm incredibly pleased.  This should go without saying, but they blow my DUNU Titan's out of the water, haha.  I actually prefer these over my PM-3s which are my usual suspects for portable use.

One question on tips - I live in a small city in China and it's hard to get tips such as JVC or UE tips, so I usually rock Comply tips.  I'm using the included TX-400 tips but has anyone tried the TS-400 or TSX-400 by any chance?

Also, I'm really not a fan of this cable.  I don't notice any microphonics but I find the cable distracting and prone to tangles.  Any recommendations here?  I'm leaning toward Norne Vorpal or Therium since I've had good experience with Trevor in the past.

(excuse the double post from the loaner thread - thought these questions might be relevant here as well)

Mar 15, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #255 of 277
Our friend @DJScope has posted his Lyra review.
Check it out: http://www.head-fi.org/products/campfire-audio-lyra/reviews/15485

Conclusion

The Lyra is a bit of an opposite to the Orion. I found it to be a bit out of my world. The target market here would be a more mainstream crowd, which in my eyes are not really in this price range. I think the Lyra should've been the entry level and the Orion the second tier. It's a beautifully built IEM, but sound-wise, I feel like it's a huge step backwards. It's probably because it doesn't appeal at all, and I'm sure that there are people who genuinely love this sound signature, alas, I'm not one.

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back