A listening test of NAS's?!?!?!
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 18
  So, it's not April 1st or posted on the Onion...

http://enjoythemusic.com/hificritic/vol5_no3/listening_to_storage.htm

"This Corsair drive (another SSD) conspicuously highlighted vocal sibilants, and had a hard, relentless quality that was impossible to miss."

…and it liked walks on sandy beaches.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 18
I'm sure all of the data buffering that takes place in memory was accounted for in the review...
rolleyes.gif

The level of absurdity of that article is matched only by the author's lack of awareness of how storage technology works.

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 18
  I'm sure all of the data buffering that takes place in memory was accounted for in the review...
rolleyes.gif

The level of absurdity of that article is matched only by the author's lack of awareness of how storage technology works.

That's going to be the next article.  Which DIMMs/SODIMMs sound best.

Then after they they can test which PC CPU sounds best.  AMD or Intel.  Haswell or Ivy Bridge, etc, etc, etc...

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 18
 What about various USB chipsets?  Different driver revisions for those chipsets?  AUDIO IS NOT A GAME!

For sure!!!

We can't forget about SATA cables either.  There's a untapped market there.  Like some nice quality $100+ SATA cables to get things started.

Ok, but I'm only spending $100 for a SATA cable if it's both directional AND cryogenically treated.

I'll need SATA cable lifters that fit inside my desktop as well....

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 18

For sure!!!

We can't forget about SATA cables either.  There's a untapped market there.  Like some nice quality $100+ SATA cables to get things started.

Ok, but I'm only spending $100 for a SATA cable if it's both directional AND cryogenically treated.

I'll need SATA cable lifters that fit inside my desktop as well....

Don't forget that they need an extra $50 worth of copper shielding per foot!

Also, if your PSU uses anything less than pure adamantium cables and peaks at 2KW for extra juice to the DAC, just throw it out the window.  It's no good.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 18
the test is incomplete, he didn't switch the ethernet cables to see if they were also changing the sound. and of course you all wondered if the different ethernet slots on the router were sounding the same? I suspect that number one sounds better than number 4.
biggrin.gif

people really have the strangest ideas.

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 18
  the test is incomplete, he didn't switch the ethernet cables to see if they were also changing the sound. and of course you all wondered if the different ethernet slots on the router were sounding the same? I suspect that number one sounds better than number 4.
biggrin.gif

people really have the strangest ideas.

I'd hope for all four ethernet ports to really sound exactly the same. With four disks you can stripe your files so that one pair of discs hold all the left and right channel bits, respectively. The other pair is of course for the inverted bits. A fully balanced audio chain has to start at the storage level or else the sound will be severely compromised. BTW, this is called RAID-A, A for audiophile - or was it audiofile?

Jan 14, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 18
  And of course you get the best sound quality if you live in the UK since their supply voltage is 240V.  The puny 120V here in the US reduces our music to garbage!

Only idiots uses AC power from the wall, everyone knows that nuclear and coal power adds too much warmth to the music while hydro makes it too cold.  If you are serious you get a windmill in your backyard and get your power in true DC form, that way you get a nice airy and wide soundstage as well.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #14 of 18

Only idiots uses AC power from the wall, everyone knows that nuclear and coal power adds too much warmth to the music while hydro makes it too cold.  If you are serious you get a windmill in your backyard and get your power in true DC form, that way you get a nice airy and wide soundstage as well.

And what about solar power? Overly bright some days, cloudy on others and very dark at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back