A head-fier owes me $1000+ and couldn't (/wouldn't) pay me back..
Jun 8, 2008 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 151

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all, it's been a while since i posted on head-fi
What's new? HD700 out yet?

Anyway, here's the story:

I've sold all my gear except for the essentials (zune+buds) because i needed the cash

I've been in contact with a US head-fier that i sold a headphone to and did a favour for about a year or so ago.

Because electronics in general are that much cheaper there, about 6 months ago i asked him for a favour, which was to help me buy an ultrasone edition 9 as well as a zune 80

We then found out that the online store had run out of stock, and soon i found a second hand one and informed him
He told me that he had purchased a zune for me and will ship it out soon

The next contact i had with him was that he used part of the money to pay for a hotel room because his kid was tired on a trip

Since then apparently his financial situation has been getting worse, and he keeps saying that he'll pay me back soon.
Everytime i get in contact with him (msn, email) he'd say that he'll pay me back in a week or two. This would occur every month or so, and he'd have an excuse to not pay me everytime eg. water tank broken, mortgage

I need the money, at one point i said that i have to use my credit card to pay my bills and rent (55 days interest free) and he assured me that he'll pay me back before it's due.
Obviously he didn't and he said that when he pays me back he'll pay the interest as well.
It took me a while to pay the credit card 'loan' and i'm now about $100 down because of the interest
Calculate the 0.97 as opposed to 0.85 AUD back then and i'm down another hundred bucks or so

My last contact with him said that he will send me (part of?) the money back in a week or so, and it's been more than 3 weeks now with no contact

He never sent off the zune either

I have his details (inc. work) if i need to use it, but i'm really stuck on what to do now.

Help? I've never dealt with this before, nor do i want to take drastic measures that may put him in a lot of trouble

If you're reading this, i'm not going to reveal any of your details (yet) but please take action ASAP if you still care

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 151
Wow, he had no right to use your money for anything at all, and if he had problems with finishing the favor, he should have just mailed your money back to you. He doesnt have a Zune to be sent to you, because if he did, he would have sent it to you so you wouldnt worry as much about the rest of the money.
He spent it im sure.
Why would he say he will send you part of the money in a week and then wait 3 weeks with nothing? He would have at least sent the Zune.
Its all BULLS***!
Id try to contact him, and when you get a hold of him, tell him he either sends it now, or you tell everyone who he is and you press legal charges.

My 2 cents.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 151
give him 2 more weeks, if he doesnt respond/do SOMETHING, i'd suggest action on your part.

just because he's in "financial troubles" does not mean you are not

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 151
The guy owes you money. Have you tried setting up a payment plan? Maybe he could send you $100 or $200 each month.

If not, could you tell us what state the guy is in? Maybe Team Legal-Fi could give you a hand or at least some guidance.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 151
$1000 is hardly worth legal action, unless you just want to prove a point. Sad but true, there is little justice in law.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 151
It's a shame with your situation
frown.gif
. It does sound like he may have an addiction to something like gambling, drugs, etc. When I've seen this pattern it reflected the very same results you are seeing. I hope that is not the case and he pays you back either incrementally soon or everything. I wish you all the best.

Jun 8, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 151
That suck's. 99% of people on this site are great. It's the other 1% who spoil it for us all.

Hope it get's sorted out. He must be a regular to trust him in the first place ?

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 151
That really sucks, especially as an 18 year old. Hope the guy gets nightmares!

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #10 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1000 is hardly worth legal action, unless you just want to prove a point. Sad but true, there is little justice in law.

I'd disagree with that completely. $1000 to me would be a very big chunk of money, certainly proportional to the amount of money I have at any one time.

And it shouldn't be about "proving a point", it's about recovering property which is lawfully yours. I don't see how there being "little justice in law" has anything to do with this situation.

To jdimitri, I sincerely hope you recover your money.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd disagree with that completely. $1000 to me would be a very big chunk of money, certainly proportional to the amount of money I have at any one time.

And it shouldn't be about "proving a point", it's about recovering property which is lawfully yours. I don't see how there being "little justice in law" has anything to do with this situation.

i dont think he meant there is no point in getting it, he meant that you will barely get anything back, as the legals costs will be vary high.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #12 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think the point was that $1000 is not a big chunk of money. I think his point is that it costs so much money, time, and effort to take a case to court (court fees, legal fees, time, effort, etc.) that you'd probably end up spending more than $1000 to get your $1000 back. If you've ever been around court cases, you understand that fighting in court is not cheap.

Not to mention, they're in different countries! That vastly complicates matters...

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #14 of 151
That sucks big time!
Most of the members around here are honest and trusty. But sadly there are ass****s "everywhere".

Hope you sort it out some way, or another.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 151
Talk to him (preferably by phone if you got his #) and tell him how the situation lays before you take action.
Sounds like you have been very easy with him and he's just stringing you on.

But if you put your foot down and explain clearly that the time's up, that might just be enough without any third party involved.
If not, then at least you tried and gave him a last chance to make right with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back