A good Creative Aurvana! Live 2 competitor recommendation needed.
Nov 13, 2014 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TJ Max

500+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased two closed back headphones, the Aurvana Live! 2 and ATH-M50xBL. I've decided that the Aurvana Live! 2 is better to my ears (great sound stage, mids and treble extension), so  I'm going to return the ATH-M50xBL. The Aurvana's are not perfect however, they have this nearly 6 db hump between 100-300hz that makes them a little muddy with certain recordings. So I was hoping to find another headphone with a similar sound signature with less of a mid bass hump. I considered the original Aurvana's but it's missing the replaceable cable.
I'm coming from the Beyerdynamic T70p, which is a more neutral and analytical sounding, but I think it could use a little more "fun" but not too much. The Aurvana's Live! 2 are really good but they need to bring down that mid bass hump!
Any recommendations?

Nov 15, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #2 of 3
I own both and I can't force myself to go back to CAL!, CAL2 are that good. Since I also own ATH-M50 I agree with you that CAL2 are better all rounder. Somehow they give richer and meatier sound than M50. From my experience and personal preference Sennheiser  Momentum On Ear are as satisfying with gorgeous design and unbelievable build quality, but twice the price of CAL2. I am not sure if they sound better to my ears (I am 47 years old so some frequencies are not there anymore), than CAL 2, but I like them especially for hot weather where CAL2 will be to hot and sweaty.

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 3
My experience shows that a lot depends on your source. For example, I could not get ATH-M50 to sound anywhere near as good as CAL2 or Momentum on ear when used with Ibasso DX50 or Fiio X5,  but when paired with Cowon J3 or X9 they sound brilliant. My take is that ATH - M50 prefer more "digital" sound like produced by Cowon players and CAL and CAL2 shine with more "organic" or "analog" sounding Ibasso DX50 or Fiio X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back