A dark ambient classic... Gas - Zauberberg
May 24, 2003 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
e252860vfdo.jpg

Zauberberg is a unique CD... haunting, melancholy, deeply emotional, and genuinely scary. Listening to this CD is like peering into a nightmare, quite unlike a visit through manufactured, impersonal states of terror like haunted houses and Stephen King films.

Nightmares contain secrets that are deeply personal to us. Our desires, fears, and reflections of ourselves are embedded within each one, as well as a handful of painful truths. This is what makes Zauberberg so special. Like the ambient works of Brian Eno and Steve Roach, seeds of truth are scattered throughout this dark forest, redeeming it from any sort of one-dimensionality. If you are patient, I recommend picking this one up for a meaningful journey into the shadows. There is beauty to be found in this dark place.

Allmusic.com review of Gas - Zauberberg

FYI, this CD is best experienced in solitude while wearing headphones. Having a "closed-in" soundstage personalizes the feelings of claustrophobia, fear, and hope. Fans of Lustmord, Robert Rich, Steve Roach, and dark ambient in general will be pleased.

May 24, 2003 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 12
Definitely. I wouldn't call it "dark ambient" though - but yeah, it's an excellent album. Wolfgang Voigt has done some very good stuff.

(For instance, the second best techno record I've ever heard his the Wolfgang/Reinhard Voigt split 12" on Kompakt... but I digress!)

- Chris

May 26, 2003 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 12
Hi Nick,

Zaubererg sounds very similar to a more recent Gas release Köenigsforst which I picked up on a whim about a year ago. Köenigsforst is a very dense, claustrophobic album, and for this reason, I find it to be a more challenging listen, compared to Lustmord/Robert Rich's Stalker for example.

I agree with Minya, I'm not sure if it fits into the "classical" notion of dark ambient, but it is definately dark nonetheless! I will have to pick up Zaubererg for a comparison.

cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2003 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 12
I can't believe you mentioned that album, Nick D. It's one of my favorites by Gas, and one of my favorite albums of that kind. (My other two Gas faves are Königsforst and Oktember (which is partly Königsforst).)

I understand why you mentioned Lustmord, though many would miss the connection.

I think you're calling Zauberberg *dark ambient* because it dates from a particularly shady year: 1997, when Porter Ricks, Thomas Koner, Taylor Deupree, Joel-Peter Witkin and even mainstream films like Seven conspired to present the beauty of decay; when every major city seemed as fecund with shadow as one of Voigt's Bavarian forests. (I've been to Bavaria, you see. I know why those forests inspire. I get a bit of the same feeling when I study the painting "Tree of Crows," by Caspar David Friedrich.)

It's inevitable that, eventually, Ghost in the Shell and Ludwig Zwei would be joined by a skin graft. Odd that it happened primarily in 1997. That year also marked the end of old New York, that pre-Guiliani avatar of detritus. It was the end of industrial sculpture, the end of the Rivington School. (My own book, Distorture, came out in 98 and and is suffused with fin de siecle shadow as well, though I'm not making any narcissistic claims as to its quality. Much of it was written in 97, the year after my ex, Susan Walsh, said goodbye to her son and stepped from a New Jersey phone booth into memory's permanent shadow.)

Voight is such an oddly diverse producer. I dislike almost everything he's done under certain pseudonyms (Mike Ink, wassermann, grungerman) but love much of what he's released under his own name (as well as Gas and All). I also like his work under m:i:5. I'm much less impressed by his brother, actually, though I quite like Reinhard's first two albums on Milles Plateau (Sturm and that fv¢k-poem to low frequencies, Sturmgesten). I've always thought people liked the Voigt/Voigt releases because they came at a time when so little else sounded like that.

Your interest in techno-derived tenebrous low-frequency ambient music makes me think you might be a fan of Vladislav Delay's Multila, which sounds like a percussionist and bassist submerged in a solution of two parts dub, three parts acrylic resin and one part cellulose powder. You can practically see an hallucinogenia swimming between the clicks.

I would also look into Nuuk, by Tomas Koner, which is my nepenthe, my soundtrack to that nightly descent into slumber. I'm not certain the album's available anymore, but I'd be happy to rip you a sample mp3 if you like.

Long ago, I dated a dark-skinned Floridian who was also a full-blooded Cherokee. The relationship went on for years despite the wishes of her father, an extremely large man with clayish Golem-nascent fingers and an angry expression.

In honor of what was good about that relationship, I would love to make an album that consisted of manipulated slowed-down voices -- the voices of my Floridian's wrathful elders. I'm not certain it would sound like Zauberberg, exactly, but there's a correlation between forests, celli and certain tremulous-voiced old men. They all sound evocative when played back at slow speeds on badly warped Ampex half-inch. Their inchworm vibrato means something's about to break.

May 27, 2003 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 12
koeners nuuk actually also reminds me of stalker, but not nearly as interesting, i guess it sounds to me like he used the same syenthesizers but to more monochromatic effect (maybe its the lack of richs flutes?)

what im wondering is which taylor deupree album youre referring to and who joel-peter wittkin is. on the topic of taylor deupree, has anyone heard his album occur on 12k? its amazing, kind of takes the whole lowercase school's sound to a whole new (emotional?) level.

May 27, 2003 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

I think you're calling Zauberberg *dark ambient* because it dates from a particularly shady year: 1997, when Porter Ricks, Thomas Koner, Taylor Deupree, Joel-Peter Witkin and even mainstream films like Seven conspired to present the beauty of decay; when every major city seemed as fecund with shadow as one of Voigt's Bavarian forests.

Uhm... just an off-hand guess here, but I think Nick described it as 'dark ambient' due to its sound, not the year it was released. Totally just a wild guess, though, of course.

And my point was 'dark ambient' isn't usually the commonly accepted term used to describe the sound of albums like Zauberberg. But whatever.

BTW, all years are "particularly shady," going by your definition.

Quote:

what im wondering is which taylor deupree album youre referring to and who joel-peter wittkin is. on the topic of taylor deupree, has anyone heard his album occur on 12k? its amazing, kind of takes the whole lowercase school's sound to a whole new (emotional?) level.

1997 was pretty early in the game for Mr. Deupree (well, as far as his glitch stuff is concerned, that is). Methinks the final Drum Komputer album, which was still too melodic to really be called glitchy, was released around this time. I wouldn't call Deupree's work dark, either. Experimental for sure, but definitely not dark. Although some of the Drum Komputer and Human Mesh Dance albums were nice and atmospheric...

I have not heard Occur, but I would like to. I want to hear Stil. -- it got a good review in Grooves.

Oh, BTW: Quote:

koeners nuuk actually also reminds me of stalker, but not nearly as interesting, i guess it sounds to me like he used the same syenthesizers but to more monochromatic effect (maybe its the lack of richs flutes?)

Köner doesn't use synthesizers. His work is constructed entirely out of samples that he records and manipulates himself. (for his recent work, at least... perhaps his earlier work is different?)

- Chris

May 27, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Uhm... just an off-hand guess here, but I think Nick described it as 'dark ambient' due to its sound, not the year it was released. Totally just a wild guess, though, of course.

And my off-hand guess, Minya, darling, is that you're taking my remarks so literally that if I were carding you at a club, I'd ask to see your binary code. It should be fairly obvious that what I'm addressing is not, specifically, why Nick might have called the piece dark ambient but rather why 1997 was a crossover year for certain darker tendencies in the culture: those were the days when Koner and Lustmord would have appeared on the same comp. I'm not understanding why you feel it's appropriate to post as if entering into a debate when what you're responding are people who are evoking musical experiences poetically. Modes of rhetoric and styles of expression are not all the same. There is expository mode, for example, in which you might find me explaining that a particular form of jazz was developed by a particular artist at a particular time and what characteristics define that music. If so, you could challenge my explanation with evidence to the contrary. And then there is the lyric mode, which I happened to use in this particular thread, which tends toward the poetic and can involve names and events in sequences and groupings determined by emotional resonance rather than musicological exactitude. Explaining to me that what I'm evoking did not happen *exclusively* in 1997 is rather like telling Ernest Dowson that his statements about a woman's cruelty are exaggerations, or that his description of the endlessness of a rainy night is meteorologically incorrect. A woman with whom I was involved off and on for six years died in the summer of 1996 and so added to my sense of decay and decadence in 1997. I wrote as much. Into what specific musical genre would you have me thrust her memory?

Quote:

Originally posted by minya
And my point was 'dark ambient' isn't usually the commonly accepted term used to describe the sound of albums like Zauberberg. But whatever.

What seems to be the trouble, young mien? When did I refute or contradict you? Your point was that dark ambient, that famously 90s genre, was not a term that the genre-correct would apply to Zauberberg. My point was that the senescent, grainy, elegaic mood of that time had an aesthetic impact on many different styles, which imparted to those styles for a finite period what many would associate with dark ambient music normally. Ordo Equilibrio (on Reaping the Fallen), Deutsche Nepal and Raison D'Etre are artists on the CMI label who are considered to be dark ambient. But the sensibility of Porter Ricks's/Techno Animal's _Symbiosis_ also partakes of a detritic, low-sonority-driven deliberately grainy sound, as does Memorandum, as do completely different kinds of work across the board: static, kinetic, visual, sonic, cinematic, ivory-towered and low-to-the-gutter.

To draw larger cultural parallels and to search for concordances of tone and gesture -- these are standard concerns for an artist. To promote ideas of smaller genres and labels with a serf's fealty is the province of the fanboy. I'm not saying people are wrong to correct other people's reference to a particular flavor of micro-house, deep house or what have you. I'm only saying it's wrong to overdo it when people are describing music subjectively. I could have spent lifetimes on this forum correcting people's logic, musical references, grammar and the rest. I refrain from doing so out of respect for the enthusiasm of people who have found something they truly enjoy, and because the worst thing one can do is make people feel more shy and inhibited than they already do.

Everyone can tell a writer what's wrong with her/his ideas. Most people hate their own writing in any case. I'd rather tell a person what's right about their concept and then work on the flaws if it's even practical to do so. I think that Nick was raising an interesting point by calling Zauberberg dark ambient, whether he's genre-correct or not. Genres have become a way for people to tread the shallows of music they don't understand. In post-house derivations, descriptions of compositions according to genre have deteriorated into lists of adjectives meant to suggest surface characteristics (however ineptly). Defining the thrust of a piece of music as microhouse is like defining a woman's character as brunette with acne scars.

Current post-house genre labels don't matter to me except in the most literal way: as an aid to finding an album in a store, for example. Which is why I wasn't *correcting* you, Minya: you're right about dark ambient in the literal sense. On the other hank, I really don't give a Shar-Pei's flaccid jowls that, somewhere, a dark industrial artist is offended by the use of the words *dark ambient* to describe Zauberberg. How did various so-called dark ambient musicians become so important as to have trademarked those words and prevented them fro being used in the context of other musics?

Quote:

BTW, all years are "particularly shady," going by your definition.

Irony 327(iii): In attempting to dismiss my poetic/critical characterization of 1997 as vague and overly inclusive, you've done so in language that is blurry and non-specific. Question 1: How exactly does every word of my "definition" (read: description) of 1997 apply to every other year? If you're going to needle-dick, then be as specific as you expect others to be. Question 2: Where exactly in my post do I state that I am attempting to define a year objectively rather than convey the mood of that year as I felt it and understood it? I was evoking a time, not categorizing the stages of the morphology of the blow-fly.

Quote:

1997 was pretty early in the game for Mr. Deupree (well, as far as his glitch stuff is concerned, that is).

Which might seem to be the case to you, but why, exactly, should that matter? I happen to be thinking of specific CDs of Deupree's that came out in 1997 and, as a musician, *do* see a correlation, whether you happen to or not. And whoever said that ambient music can't be melodic? Tell that to Brian Eno. I'd also mention Duepree's Occur. (We can't have the leisure to flesh out what we're hearing if you're going to continue stopping everyone every ten seconds to tell them their lapels have gone curly.)

Quote:

Methinks the final Drum Komputer album, which was still too melodic to really be called glitchy, was released around this time. I wouldn't call Deupree's work dark, either. Experimental for sure, but definitely not dark.

It is amazing to me that you'd think a veteran studio musician and programmer living in NYC would be unfamiliar with such an obvious genre. There used to be an industrial/ambient music store down the street from me in the 80s in the days of Laibach. I watched the entire wretched progression of pseudo-styles unfold. If I choose not to think that way, the choice is deliberate. My best friend and I *never* talk about that music in those terms because that would be attributing too much importance and musical intention to transitory styles. I happen to like Lustmord, but that doesn't mean I'll be listening to him in ten years. Stravinsky's another story, and so are musically specific labels like neo-classical, nationalist, polychordal, pandiatonic and dodecaphonic, all of which apply specifically to his music.

If you only knew how ridiculous people's insistence on the correctness of various arbitrary meanings of the word *dark* sounded to lifelong trained musicians. Dark can be a sonority, a register, a tone color, a tempo, a progression, a tone, a mood, a level of contrapuntal or rhythmic density. Classical composers and performers are trained to spot gradations of light and dark in order to be able to control the syntax of a piece, whether in performance or composition. The very psychological context of classical music is predicated on tension and release. We all know which chords are darkest, which modes (Lochrian), which melodic intervals, etc. etc. If you don't want to read my meta-genre comparisons and have utter contempt for my use of my conventional musical training in composition, then I suggest you read a zine instead of my posts.

There's no point in correcting people continuously on genre titles when they're trying to describe music in terms of their immediate experience. It would be like telling a little girl that her hula hoop's on backwards. She'll figure it out, as long as she doesn't get scolded arbitrarily.

Quote:

Oh, BTW: Köner doesn't use synthesizers. His work is constructed entirely out of samples that he records and manipulates himself. (for his recent work, at least... perhaps his earlier work is different?)

I know the last bit wasn't directed toward me, but your mania to correct the self-evident is sauteeing my nerve-ends. I've actually corresponded with Koner, who seems a very nice sort. At one point, I was going to write an article about him, possibly for the NYP. He seems not to be inclined to correct people in compulsive and useless ways or, indeed, at all, in my experience. No, Koner doesn't use synths on the releases we're discussing here. His primary research as a trained engineer was into vicissitudes of timbre, which led him to experiment with miking gongs and other acoustic sources to alter electronically (no doubt Stockhausen's mikrophone was an influence -- we didn't discuss that). Still, he's used synths in the past. Few musicians haven't.

May 27, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
It should be fairly obvious that what I'm addressing is not, specifically, why Nick might have called the piece dark ambient but rather why 1997 was a crossover year for certain darker tendencies in the culture: those were the days when Koner and Lustmord would have appeared on the same comp.

You're right, I did take you too literally.

Quote:

What seems to be the problem, young man?

I really see nothing remarkable about 1997 which distinguishes it from any other year in terms of landmarks of dark-ambient or similar music. Unless you were speaking to your own personal experiences, i.e. you discovered it in 1997 or you appreciated it then or whatever, you may as well have picked any other year. (which, after more carefully reading the rest of your reply, I realized you were) Why not '84? Zero Kama. Coil began. Nurse with Wound. Etcetera.

Quote:

Your* point was that dark ambient, that famously 90s genre which I, personally, have no problem with, but which many consider to be dated or silly -- was not a term that the genre-correct would apply to Zauberberg (which does get a bit more respect than, for example, Swedish dark ambient).

"Many"? Which many? Whom? Most folks in the industrial scene are quite happy with it as a genre descriptor, as am I. Most IDM/electronica folks don't use it very often because it doesn't really apply to the music they make. "Dark ambient" as a term seemed to have been coined, or at least inspired by Lustmord, whose earlier works (Heresy, A Monstrous Soul, etc.) are what I consider "reference" works for dark ambient and whose creation depended heavily on the aesthetics and the sounds of mid-eighties industrial music.

Quote:

*My* point was that the senescent, grainy, elegaic mood of that time had an aesthetic impact on many different styles, which imparted to those styles for a finite period what many would associate with dark ambient music normally.

I still don't see how 1997 is any more remarkable a year for dark music than any other in the 90's.

Quote:

Ordo Equilibrio (on Reaping the Fallen), Deutsche Nepal and Raison D'Etre are artists on the CMI label who are considered to be dark ambient. But the sensibility of Porter Ricks's/Techno Animal's _Symbiosis_ also partakes of a detritic, low-sonority-driven deliberately grainy sound, as does Memorandum, as do completely different kinds of work across the board: static, kinetic, visual, sonic, cinematic, ivory-towered and low-to-the-gutter.

Yes, but comparing the TA/PR split to CMI dark ambient is a pretty big split -- if not in sound, then definitely in aesthetics.

Quote:

I refrain from doing so out of respect for the enthusiasm of people who have found something they truly enjoy, and because the worst thing one can do is make people feel more shy and inhibited than they already do.

I wasn't knocking or making fun of or in any way denigrating Nick's or anyone's musical tastes in this thread.

Quote:

On the other hank, I really don't give a Shar-Pei's flaccid jowls that, somewhere, a dark industrial artist is offended by the use of the words *dark ambient* to describe Zauberberg. How did various so-called dark ambient musicians become so important as to have trademarked those words and prevented them fro being used in the context of other musics?

Offended? I was not offended, and I don't think any dark ambient artists would be offended either. My point was: if you were to discuss "dark ambient music" with someone and I gave Zauberberg as an example of something you thought was a good album in the genre, ... gah. Nevermind.

Quote:

Question 2: Where exactly in my post do I state that I am attempting to define a year objectively rather than convey the mood of that year as I felt it and understood it? I was evoking a time, not categorizing the stages of the morphology of the blow-fly.

Aye, my apologies. I didn't read it as your personal experiences, in which case my criticism holds no water.

Quote:

If you don't want to read my meta-genre comparisons and have utter contempt for my use of my conventional musical training in composition, then I suggest you read a zine instead of my posts.

Self-aggrandize much?
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

There's no point in correcting people continuously on genre titles when they're trying to describe music in terms of their immediate experience. It would be like telling a little girl that her hula hoop's on backwards. She'll figure it out, as long as she doesn't get scolded arbitrarily.

Perhaps. You misinterpreted my participation in this thread as "scolding," though, which it wasn't.

Quote:

I know the last bit wasn't directed toward me, but your mania to correct the self-evident is sauteeing my nerve-ends.

This wasn't "mania to correct the self-evident," but rather a point I found quite interesting about Köner's music.

- Chris

May 27, 2003 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 12
I have to go to sleep now and will respond to your post tomorrow. But there's one thing I feel I should to respond to immediately.

When I said:

"If you don't want to read my meta-genre comparisons and have utter contempt for my use of my conventional musical training in composition, then I suggest you read a zine instead of my posts,"

You responded with

"Self-aggrandize much?"

Whether you intended it or not, your response is far more snobbish than anything I've written. For me to mention that my reference point comes from musical training rather than reverence for genre is merely a way of asserting that conventional musical training has its proper place in discussions of nonclassical music. It is a defense of classical training itself, not an excuse for my own self-aggrandizement.

If you don't see the difference, then you're missing the point I've been making all along about popular culture: Since the ivory tower has collapsed and even academics are now populists who write essays about Buffy, it's pointless for anti-intellectuals to rail against elitism. They've already won the battle. Economically and culturally in America, intellectualism is outre, intellectualism is ghettoized. The true elitists are now the bland and dominating presences that work us to death and deprive us of social and cultural meaning.

Anti-intellectual bias is now present everywhere. I say: if a person has training in a certain area, such as classical music, let them use and refer to that training proudly. We should encourage people to keep alive what is culturally rarefied, what is enriching and enlightening, since our society typically ignores complexity and dissonance to death. Dissonance is not inherently negative, nor complexity elitist.

May 27, 2003 at 9:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Whether you intended it or not, your response is far more snobbish than anything I've written. For me to mention that my reference point comes from musical training rather than reverence for genre is merely a way of asserting that conventional musical training has its proper place in discussions of nonclassical music. It is a defense of classical training itself, not an excuse for my own self-aggrandizement.

Okay. But you can mention that without such subtle implications that to not be aware of classical music theory (which I'm not -- nor are many of the musicians whose work you enjoy, I wager (the electronic guys that is)) is somehow inferior to your knowledge. "Can't discuss meta-genre comparisons with me? Fine. Go read a zine." That's pretty snotty, too. What's wrong with a zine? I agree with you: discussion and criticism of music where conventional music training is a reference point is absolutely valid. But so are other forms of discussion and criticism. It's a different perspective -- not a better one.

- Chris

May 28, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 12
"Okay. But you can mention that without such subtle implications that to not be aware of classical music theory (which I'm not -- nor are many of the musicians whose work you enjoy, I wager (the electronic guys that is)) is somehow inferior to your knowledge."

You keep telling me these things as if they were new to me. Tell me: If I myself am a musician who is in contact with a few of the artists we're discussing, and if I, too, like electronic music and have been listening to it for rather a long time, then why would I not be at as aware as you of various musician's backgrounds?

You've got to stop accusing me of "subtle inferences" and realize that you're making assumptions based on overtones that aren't in the text. (Mind you, I'm probably doing the same thing at this point because we've both become mired in miscommunication -- no doubt for arbitrary and grimly ironic reasons.)

The reason I told you to go read a zine (and in my view, zines *do* tend to be drastically misguided because they're the product of passive fans versus people who are actually writing decent music and performing it -- fans' understanding of music tends to be insufficiently internal) is because you were making a classic fan's mistake: you equated references to high culture with snobbery, references to classical music with elitism. And since I'm already using up writer's juice on this board, which of course I ought to be saving for fiction and journalism but haven't been doing, what I really *don't* need to do is get into arguments about the obvious: That, however much I might enjoy them for the moment, transitory artists, people who I'm likely to forget in ten years, are not worth trivia memorization *to me*, and that includes the lords and progenitors of the styles we discuss on this board (including IDM).

I'm not going to worry about someone's creative misuse of a stylistic term because, ultimately, the style doesn't even matter to me. Schnittke had it right when he coined the word polystyle, because that's all any of it is: a surface synthesis. If one of these hybrids ever becomes a mode of astonishing purity and compression (as opposed to merely being witty, dolorous, novel or mood-enhancing), then I'll begin memorizing musicological facts. If I decide to travel in a specific club world in which I have to know certain things about certain styles, then of course I'll do it. I always do -- I'm a horribly good mimic. But until either of those things happens, I choose not to care. I choose to defend someone's right to use a term like dark ambient idiosyncratically no matter what an orthodox beta-tested fraternity-welcomed dark ambient audience participant might think. The musicians themselves are never so threatened by references to culture that they need to aspire to make the cultured feel small. Only their fans make that error, due to the comfort zone mole holes they occupy.

"I agree with you: discussion and criticism of music where conventional music training is a reference point is absolutely valid. But so are other forms of discussion and criticism. It's a different perspective -- not a better one."

Yes, and we can continue to flog the same matador's kidney and imagine we're saying different things even though we're not.

The place where I differ with you is this. If I'm a snob, I'm a snob about intolerance -- particularly anti-intellectual intolerance. The prejudice against intellect seems to me to be rooted in anti-Semitism, or so it seems to *this* K1K£. It is advanced by tedious, constantly reiterated arguments. Its advocates would rather stand in the way of perceptions and insights than acknowledge the mediocrity it masks. Everything isn't relative; some people know more than others.

Paradoxically, I mention hierarchies in the abstract; I rate dead and distant musicians dispassionately. But I wouldn't choose to disparage someone in real life unless they attacked me because I don't believe in discouraging people. Paradoxically, despite your insistence on the equal value of different approaches to music, you do seem to believe in discouraging people. I base this observation purely on what you've said so far.

It wasn't necessary for you to try to correct Nick or me any more than it would be to tell a girlfriend about her terrible prosody if she tried to write a poem about her love for you. And I could even defend your need to correct people despite the inappropriateness of the act if it weren't for the simple fact that you always seem to be putting someone in their place; you're not simply trying to inform us innocently. Look at the pointless and non-instructive sarcasm with which you mentioned your suspicion that I'd misconstrued or misunderstood Nick:

"Uhm... just an off-hand guess here, but I think Nick described it as 'dark ambient' due to its sound, not the year it was released. Totally just a wild guess, though, of course."

Make no mistake: You did degrade the discussion and the denigration game began with those two sentences. You were no innocent in this instance. You were deliberately being obnoxious.

And I don't acknowledge or agree with the place into which you'd like to put me or anyone else. If you had wanted to exchange ideas rather than challenge me to a game of dark ambient Trivial Pursuit, I wouldn't have been the prick you decided to be to me. If you felt I chafed you the wrong way, so what? Why not simply resist and post about your own Zauberbergian observations? If you had, then we wouldn't be enmeshed in this tedious derailing exchange. This thread started with an encomium to sonic beauty. It's ending with snipes and myopic enmity.

The reason I post on Head-fi and never in newsgroups is because discussions in this place have the capacity to get beyond the mundane. Discussions tend to be civilized and people tend to be mutually respectful. No doubt you and I could have interesting discussions if we wanted to -- we seem to be interested in many of the same things. But none of that matters if you're going to get passive aggressive every time I post. I'm not interested in having a pissing war with you, Minya. Competition doesn't interest me because contests are irrelevant. They're obsessed with the inconsequential, mired in the torments of tallying petty sums. I choose not to dwell in accountant purgatory when I'm facing a world of spiritual and intellectual beauty.

Nick heard an album and intuited a landscape. That's what interests me, because I do know what he means. I can sense that landscape as tenably as six a.m. mist on my forearms. To take Nick's idea and expand on it, to incorporate odd abstruse levels of knowledge and experience and slide across them as if eclecticism were a rain-wet scaffold and falling didn't matter, is more interesting to me than proofreading Nick's copy and correcting his musical references. If he cared about such things, he could do the same himself.

The comatime sandworm beckons again. Night night.

May 28, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

"Uhm... just an off-hand guess here, but I think Nick described it as 'dark ambient' due to its sound, not the year it was released. Totally just a wild guess, though, of course."

Make no mistake: You did degrade the discussion and the denigration game began with those two sentences. You were no innocent in this instance. You were deliberately being obnoxious.

You're absolutely right. I misinterpreted what you said originally and decided to be make a snotty comment in response. And look what I got us into.
tongue.gif

Quote:

You've got to stop accusing me of "subtle inferences" and realize that you're making assumptions based on overtones that aren't in the text. (Mind you, I'm probably doing the same thing at this point because we've both become mired in miscommunication -- no doubt for arbitrary and grimly ironic reasons.) ... If you had wanted to exchange ideas rather than challenge me to a game of dark ambient Trivial Pursuit, I wouldn't have been the prick you decided to be to me. If you felt I chafed you the wrong way, so what? Why not simply resist and post about your own Zauberbergian observations? ... No doubt you and I could have interesting discussions if we wanted to -- we seem to be interested in many of the same things. But none of that matters if you're going to get passive aggressive every time I post. I'm not interested in having a pissing war with you, Minya.

Scrypt,

Good points you make. At this point, I'm not even sure what we're arguing about. Or why. I retract my original snotty comments and in their place put an apology.

You're a right: A discussion about dark ambient is a lot more interesting than a back and forth niggling argument in which we both misinterpret each other.
wink.gif

Truce?

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back