A cure against sound clipping and brickwalled albums?
Oct 7, 2010 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sonci

500+ Head-Fier
It`s been some time of using Repaly Gain as a solution to horrible clipping I hear on some of the new releases,
I`m using the last  Alice in Chain as a reference brickwalled album (yea reference!!),

I  tried Advanced limiter, Hard -6dB limiter, in Foobar, but no joy, and I really want to keep software volume 100%, for the bit perfect paranoia,
still dont know if using RG is audiophile though,
So, do you have any cure?
I`m not talking about bad recordings, which clip anyway, just the heavily compressed..

ps:sorry for posting here, but this is part of MUSIC anyway

Oct 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Once a recording is ruined with clipping and compression, little, if anything, can be done about it. Replay gain will not restore the dynamic range.

Sad fact really.

Oct 7, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 5
Oct 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
The problem is that I hear clipping only with recordings that goes up 0dBFS (0dB "full scale")

remember this link from Ham Sandwich  http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/issues-with-0dbfs-levels-on-digital-audio-playback-systems

I think it depends on the hardware too, cause the same cd don`t clip on the cd player,
but once ripped,

A recording can still be clipped and not be at 0dbFS. It has become a rather common trend to maximize the loudness and then bring down the entire album level by 1 - 5 db so that it doesn't push the meters into the red during playback. Regardless, the original recording remains clipped but at a lower volume. When you see these albums they look like all the peaks got buzzed off with a saw. In the end you still have a clipped recording with no dynamic range but just a bit quieter. Pisses me off.

Oct 8, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
A recording can still be clipped and not be at 0dbFS. It has become a rather common trend to maximize the loudness and then bring down the entire album level by 1 - 5 db so that it doesn't push the meters into the red during playback. Regardless, the original recording remains clipped but at a lower volume. When you see these albums they look like all the peaks got buzzed off with a saw. In the end you still have a clipped recording with no dynamic range but just a bit quieter. Pisses me off.

example of what he is talking about

another example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back