A Couple of DIY projects that I need to finish. I want your expert opinons.
May 16, 2007 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mminutel

500+ Head-Fier
I have a couple of projects sitting in front of me that I need to finish, but I have a couple of questions. I want to know what you all would do with them. I will give a little incite, but I do not know what I am wanting for the most part.

Pimeta: I have the ALPS RK097 as my Potentiometer, but I was thinking of stepping it up to the RK27. Would I have to change any of my resistor values when I do this? Also, is the ALPS RK27 have a similar shaft to the RK097? Is it round or D shaped?

Is the difference between 4 Nichicon 330uF and 4 Elna 1000uF caps extremely audible?

Can anyone recommend me a good set of female RCA jacks and male RCA plugs? Is the Locking Neutrik too hard to drill without a stepped bit? Do you all prefer the crossfeed in a separate case than the amp and Tread? For the tread, dhould I use a DC walwart or a transformer?

May 16, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, my own experience--

1) I use Jameco wall transformers for power supplies with a DC jack in the amp enclosure and have been very satisfied.

2) I built several relatively uncomplicated amps--op/amp-MOSFET-Tube/MOSFET designs--and put my two crossfeeds in their own plastic enclosures so I can mix and match. If I were building one amp for dedicated home or portable use I would likely build in the crossfeed with the option to bypass it.

Have fun!

F

May 17, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of projects sitting in front of me that I need to finish, but I have a couple of questions. I want to know what you all would do with them. I will give a little incite, but I do not know what I am wanting for the most part.

Pimeta: I have the ALPS RK097 as my Potentiometer, but I was thinking of stepping it up to the RK27. Would I have to change any of my resistor values when I do this? Also, is the ALPS RK27 have a similar shaft to the RK097? Is it round or D shaped?

Is the difference between 4 Nichicon 330uF and 4 Elna 1000uF caps extremely audible?

Can anyone recommend me a good set of female RCA jacks and male RCA plugs? Is the Locking Neutrik too hard to drill without a stepped bit? Do you all prefer the crossfeed in a separate case than the amp and Tread? For the tread, dhould I use a DC walwart or a transformer?

Regarding the pot shaft, it really depends which model you get. The RK27 has many variations with different shaft lenghts both in round or D-shaped. I would recomend this upgrade. If you take a look at tangents potentiometers measurements(search his site) you'll see that the RK27 is superior to the RK097.

For female RCA's I use neutrik's. They cost me about 1$ each and IMO are very sturdy and well built. For male RCA's I also use neutrik's budget line. They also cost me 1$ each near my house and have good quality. I will experiment the profi line and see if there is any difference.

Regarding power, I use an internal tread with a wallwart transformer. That places the trafo away from the delicate signal lines.

As for the caps, 4 1000uf may be a little to much for a pimeta. I would use either the 4 nichicon or just 2 elna's, but the difference in sound should be the last 0.1%. In my own amp I have the ones that tangent sell in his web shop, not sure about the values.

May 17, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 6
The problem with building them both together would be that cases of that size tend to become expensive and I have yet to find one that I like. I suppose that I could stack two hammonds together for a nice look.

May 17, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Both Alps pot models have 6mm diameter shafts. The RK27 that both tangent and I offer are round with slot, but the RK097 are D profile. You don't need to change any resistors to switch to the RK27.

May 17, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 6
I have asked this before, but I have an offset of over a volt when I power the amp down. That is way too high.

What would be ways to get rid of this? I have seen ambs board. It would do the trick, but the problem must be within the amp itself because most people do not have that problem. I would rather be able to find the flaw in my amp. Any idea where I should start?

Also, the same questions as my OP: Does anyone have a nice looking case that would fit a 1/4" Locking Neutrik, Power Switch, and 2 .75" knobs for the crossfeed and Pot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back