A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Mar 30, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #796 of 856
  Well then, as far as ~$200 and under contenders are concerned, there's also M-Audio's HDH50, AKG's K545, and Sennheiser's HD7DJ if you go refurb or something.  All excellent headphones.

Try Sony's SA5000/3000 or the ancient ATH-2 ortho for some truly sterile-sounding headphones, no on-ear/over-ear Sennheiser comes even remotely close by lightyears, sEnns are generally quite dynamic and musical.  Admittedly, I haven't heard the over-ear Momentum, and I'm pretty sure it isn't the exception.

Admittedly, I'm not saying they are the most clean sterile boring headphones out there, but to me that's Sennheiser's general sound signature. In something even like the Urbanites or the HD 202-II where Senn made headphones that have that punch and bass that's good for something like Hip Hop, there is still an unmistakeable overly clean sound. I feel like something is missing whenever I hear Senns. It's like a compression or something just not right limiting the dynamics and a lack of fullness in the tonality. Just not overly feeling them.

Although, I will say that the HD 202-II is VERY good for Hip Hop and other bass and or drum heavy genres at it's price point and something I would recommend for someone who can only afford something a bit below $100. It's actually something I'm considering for myself as a more everyday beater headphone cause it's also small and light.

It's not like I'm totally closed off and unreasonable by any means with certain brands and do recognize their strengths or when they have a model I like or don't mind. I just have my preferences and things I like better in other brands. 

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #797 of 856
To keep things simple, the m50s are the headphones I recommend to people who don't have any criteria of what they're looking for. They do everything relatively good but nothing close to great. My only real gripe is that they are uncomfortable due to their ear pads.

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #798 of 856
To keep things simple, the m50s are the headphones I recommend to people who don't have any criteria of what they're looking for. They do everything relatively good but nothing close to great. My only real gripe is that they are uncomfortable due to their ear pads.

I have a small head and smaller ears so comfort and isolation are great. Haven't had them through the heat of a summer yet so not sure how sweaty the pleather will get...

Mar 30, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #799 of 856
I have a small head and smaller ears so comfort and isolation are great. Haven't had them through the heat of a summer yet so not sure how sweaty the pleather will get...
They'll definitely get sweaty. I really didn't have a problem with sizing. It was more of the heat retention and drivers being too close to the ears that was throwing me off. Ultimately, I believe it's the sound stage and the high end that made me consider upgrading.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #800 of 856
They'll definitely get sweaty. I really didn't have a problem with sizing. It was more of the heat retention and drivers being too close to the ears that was throwing me off. Ultimately, I believe it's the sound stage and the high end that made me consider upgrading.

Agreed on the sometimes shrill high-end. Are you using the later M50x? It's better in that regard. The reason I keep mine is the "fun" signature and the good deep bass extension. Soundstage in a closed can is always tough.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #801 of 856
Agreed on the sometimes shrill high-end. Are you using the later M50x? It's better in that regard. The reason I keep mine is the "fun" signature and the good deep bass extension. Soundstage in a closed can is always tough.
I've read that the only difference in both versions are softer pads and headband support so I never bothered to test drive the m50x. In regards to sound stage, they'll never be like open backs but going from a m50 to a DT770 is huge.

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #803 of 856
I've read that the only difference in both versions are softer pads and headband support so I never bothered to test drive the m50x. In regards to sound stage, they'll never be like open backs but going from a m50 to a DT770 is huge.

Tyll's testing showed a taming of the peak around 9khz which took a bit of the edge off. My step-up was to the HD-650's as I generally prefer open-backs, but if I'm out-and-about the Fiio X5/E12 with the M50x is a great combo. Very energetic compared to my laid-back HD-650's/558's. Makes you move :)

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #804 of 856
One of the main issues with these not being quite as impressive as they once were is not so much that other headphones have come out or that they are now more recognized that compete better with the M50, it is that the price has gone up quite a bit.  When people were claiming that the M50 was a great bargain, people were finding these heaphones on sale for $85 online. (New!)

I bought mine from Amazon for $108.50 as an inexpensive, closed headphones for the office.  That is the price point I was using to make comparisons when anyone asked me about them.

Here is a snippet from my Amazon order history:

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #805 of 856
One of the main issues with these not being quite as impressive as they once were is not so much that other headphones have come out or that they are now more recognized that compete better with the M50, it is that the price has gone up quite a bit.  When people were claiming that the M50 was a great bargain, people were finding these heaphones on sale for $85 online. (New!)

I bought mine from Amazon for $108.50 as an inexpensive, closed headphones for the office.  That is the price point I was using to make comparisons when anyone asked me about them.

Here is a snippet from my Amazon order history:

That is a great price for them! I can easily recommend them at that price and even for their current MSRP they are quite competitive. Its just that the $150-200 price range seems to be the sweet spot for consumers creating an influx of very good headphones in that bracket.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #806 of 856
The fact that the price has gone up from the lows of around $100 - $150 USD (even less than that sometimes) and more like the $150 - $200 USD I think is why this headphone is now being questioned. That and Audio Technica is releasing colored versions that cost more.

On that note, if anyone wants extra comfort, the HM5 pads are recommended.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #807 of 856
  The fact that the price has gone up from the lows of around $100 - $150 USD (even less than that sometimes) and more like the $150 - $200 USD I think is why this headphone is now being questioned. That and Audio Technica is releasing colored versions that cost more.

I just noticed that this thread is somehow active again.

Keep in mind that the original post was made more than three years ago, at a time when the M50 was literally the only recommendation you would get in an entry-level recommendation thread.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #808 of 856
  I just noticed that this thread is somehow active again.

Keep in mind that the original post was made more than three years ago, at a time when the M50 was literally the only recommendation you would get in an entry-level recommendation thread.

Good point. I haven't seen the M50 recommended too much on these boards recently. In general I see a fairly well rounded and varied list of headphones that are recommended based on people's stated needs and budgets. There are a few users who recommend their current flavour of the month to everyone they can despite the prospective persons price range or needs, but it's to be expected when people are enthused with a brand new purchase and / or don't have much experience with other headphones and still want to help people out with a suggestion they think will make them happy.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #809 of 856
I've also seen a notable trend towards open headsets, which might also have something to do with the decline. The community has more desktop listeners and gamers, so isolation isn't always needed. The M50(x) is still a great closed mid-fi can. If you go to Reddit and other places, it's still being recommended a ton.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #810 of 856
  I've also seen a notable trend towards open headsets, which might also have something to do with the decline. The community has more desktop listeners and gamers, so isolation isn't always needed. The M50(x) is still a great closed mid-fi can. If you go to Reddit and other places, it's still being recommended a ton.

You are right in places like Reddit and others I do see a lot of mention of the 50x, but as an alternative to it I certainly see a lot of people just recommending the 40x as a cheaper and more "neutral" choice. The other HUGE recommendation I see that almost ALWAYS comes up as an alternative to the 50 is the DT 770. Now that is a popular headphone as well. Real popular. At least it seems like it, no idea how well it actually sells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back