A Concise View of Why The ATH-M50 is No Longer King
Jan 18, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #31 of 856

Quote:
CAL!? Fostex T50RP? KNS6400? MDR7506? Not trying to fight, just saying there are quite a few in that area.

Of those i have only tried the sony. They aren't nearly as good as the m50s. Sorry.

I own the shure srh840/940
grado sr225i
sennheiser hd 25 1 ii
and all of these fail in comparison. Makes me wonder why i even bother.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #32 of 856
Of those i have only tried the sony. They aren't nearly as good as the m50s. Sorry.

I own the shure srh840/940
grado sr225i
sennheiser hd 25 1 ii
and all of these fail in comparison. Makes me wonder why i even bother.

I thought they were cleaner and had better mids, and there's no way I would put the M50 over the SRH840 or 940. Everyone has different tastes. I just checked and the KNS8400, the 6400's big brother, is now selling for $119 in some places. That's a crazy deal.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #34 of 856
A basshead is going to have a lot different opinion of the M50 than someone not too into bass.

For me, the entrylevel audiophile 'phone has always been the SR-60i. That unique Grado sound for 80 dosh? I can get behind it. I can understand why the M50 was for so long another popular contender - it still is, I'd say.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #35 of 856
Hmm, this is an interesting thread.

Firstly, I'll say that yes, the M50's are the only can's (full size) that I own at the moment.

I'll also mention that I apparently have the new redesign. (Which if what you say is correct, I'm glad of, because I'm starting to think I want some thing a little more... I don't know... Grado-y now.)

I'll also say that I paid a touch under $100 for them.

Now I have a question, what exactly is the price that you're comparing them at? $100? $120? or that *high* price of $150?

I certainly do enjoy them but as I've listened to them more and more, I start to see what I want in my next set of headphones, but that is not to say that the M50's don't do well what they do. That is to say, if you like the way they sound, you'll really like them. I'm just thinking I prefer a faster, less bass-heavy 'phone for the music I listen to. But for the time I've had them, I've certainly loved them.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #36 of 856
There must be some interaction between phones and the audio device that drives them. I believe the M50 should be amped since it is relatively low-Z at 38ohms.  So then, should one include the audio source when discussing the quality of phones?

Is the recommendation of M50 for noob actually hype? Perhaps it is just a stock reply.  Hey, try the M50, many people like them.  There are many overlapping threads of "please help with headphones" that could be answered by a 'bot'.  It could just reply with a template that has the favourite of the week plugged in.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #38 of 856
The more seasoned members will simply see the M50 as yet another FOTM hyped up by the eccentric-posting newcomers.

The conditions are simple; the headphone must be affordable, have a balanced sound with emphasized bass and above all be attractive.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back