A best of Slayer?
Jul 12, 2006 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

seanohue

500+ Head-Fier
What would you consider to be a collection of Slayer's best songs? I have their anthology but I need to condense it into no more than 50 songs.

Jul 13, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 13
Pick two off of each album. Just so many favorites for me/

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 13
I always liked the tracks they used for the Decade of Aggression live album. A nice selection overall, although Chemical Warfare and Haunting the Chapel would have made the selection better.

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 13
The best of Slayer - Reign in Blood, of course.

Jul 14, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 13
I looks like their release "Soundtrack to the Apocalypse" is less than 50 tracks if exclude the live songs. That might be a good one stop shop.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 13
My vote goes for "South of Heaven" as my favorite album. It presents itself as a complete piece of music from beginning to end. As far as individual Slayer song; I remain on the fence between "War Ensemble" from Seasons in the Abyss, and "Angel of Death" from Reign in Blood.

Jul 21, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Anthology - too many good songs (you have it already)

If I had to choose -

1) South of Heaven...only Lombardo's tight drumming and the flowing "guitar harmonies" take a SLIGHT edge over "1a" (lyrics/vocals on South and Reign are both top notch)
1a) Reign In Blood...#1 for days when you are especially frustrated
2) Seasons ("Temptation" was the under-rated "wildcard" track, IMO)

There are a couple of old songs (Die by the Sword...etc) that could be added, but ultimately they just got better w/time, pre-Divine.

Conclusion. 3 complete albums (above) w/a few tracks off the early ones (pre-Reign)...I know Decade fits the bill pretty well, but the recording quality of Decade is less than stellar. Decade was the first album I heard and the SQ really detracted from the experience.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 13
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 13
Reign In Blood.

While it may be a bit controvertial opinion, Slayer should have forbidden to make more than 1 song per album that is >3 minutes long. I always use War Ensemble as an example. While there are many people who love it, for me it gets boring after listening to half of it.
That's why I like RiB that much. It has less than 30 min. and is a collection of quick "shots" (except for "Angel Of Death" and "Raining Blood" if we count the outro sample to the song), so you don't really have that much time to get bored...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back