$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jan 8, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #5,821 of 6,550
To be honest i do not feel I am even listening to a dap , I feel as if I am listening to transportable dac/amp, you remember those stacks

the dap has so much head room and nothing is a challenge for it to drive from everything I own

with all the daps I have or had I always felt I am listening to a dap but not with calyx at all. Sound wise, I am so so so surprised by its signature which is so natural and so musical. I do not want to throw other daps under the bus, but I can tell you this is the most enjoyable sound coming out of a transportable or dap set up I have experienced

All this great praise for calyx but at the same I feel unhappy that calyx is discontinued, this should have been taken to next level just in UI and to have other features such as wifi and Bluetooth. Shame this is it for a calyx dap but you never know.

I had Ak Sp2000 and sold it thinking ibasso dx220 will give me a close sound to ak sp2000, but i was mistaken as there was so much praise for dx220, But ak sp2000 was way better by a big margin that I regretted selling it thinking ibasso will give a close enough experience to sp2000. But now calyx totally removed this feeling of needing another ak sp2000, which is a very very impressive dap the ak sp2000, and if i will ever buy sp2000 again it will because of streaming tidal only not chasing a sound i lost

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #5,822 of 6,550
Yeah the M is a real quandry machine. On one hand, you've got this great construction, look, and sound... but then there's the terrible battery life (no doubt due to that sound with the class A amp and power-hungry audiophile ESS chip) & no online capability whatsoever. I was actually there right from the start online giving them all sorts of suggestions--was part of the reason it has a SD and microSD card among other things. I looked up on their facebook page back in 2014 for a little nostalgia. Unfortunately, I couldn't be part of their marketing department once it was released--which failed miserably. Truly a shame.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #5,824 of 6,550
Hi,
We can find this legendary DAP new on Sale at only U.S.$ 443.57 to : store.jaben.com
Do you think it is still a good deal ?

your money your choice... it is a wonderful sounding DAP with some short comings that are deal breakers for some and a collectors piece for others.

I fall into the collector category. (and have a spare also)

Jan 9, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #5,825 of 6,550
this dap is so amazing i am thinking to buy a spare one

dam i did not see this coming, never did I consider buying a spare but this going to be soon impossible to find again

I was wondering did anyone think bout adding a bluetooth dongle to clayx m to stream music to it so we can listen to streaming on clayx m, wonder if that is possible and if anyone tried it

one think I do not know how to do is folder browsing, I assume there is not that option, unless I am mistaken

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #5,826 of 6,550
I fall into the collector category. (and have a spare also)
Same here
this dap is so amazing i am thinking to buy a spare one
I bought a used spare with a 512 gb sd card ..plus my original one when they first came out which i added theX-Batt Battery Extension Pack and Fidelizer Advanced Rom firmware for approximately 7 hours playing time with flac files

Jan 10, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #5,829 of 6,550
Jan 11, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #5,831 of 6,550
my adoration for calyx m reached its roof :)

Now we need to pull some strings and get some help from people who have access to audition many daps as possible to find us a dap alternative that sounds like calyx but with streaming

here is a list of the ones that do not fit the bill:

1- all astell and kern
2- cayin n6ii
3- ibasso dx220
4-all fiio
5- cowon plenue L and all other models, those anyway have no streaming
6- Hiby R6 pro

those above do not sound like calyx m, so we need help in finding the calyx lost twin brother but born with streaming capability :)

So lets make a list of possible suspects with streaming capabilities that I did not hear:

1- Hifiman R2R
2-???

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #5,833 of 6,550
I am happy to see the new love for Calyx M, and sad in the same time that it took so long for the people to realize the beauty of this player and now there is no succesor from Calyx. I am wondering what this company could do in 2020 if they were able to accomplish so much in 2014 with Calyx M, that is because they focused on one thing only , sound quality

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #5,834 of 6,550

Now we need to pull some strings and get some help from people who have access to audition many daps as possible to find us a dap alternative that sounds like calyx but with streaming

1- all astell and kern
2- cayin n6ii
3- ibasso dx220
4-all fiio
6- Hiby R6 pro

those above do not sound like calyx m, so we need help in finding the calyx lost twin brother but born with streaming capability :)

So lets make a list of possible suspects with streaming capabilities that I did not hear:

1- Hifiman R2R
2-???

AR-M2 gets close and is Android based (streaming capable)

2 knocks - Android 4.0 and no longer supported

Jan 11, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #5,835 of 6,550

1- all astell and kern
2- cayin n6ii
3- ibasso dx220
4-all fiio
6- Hiby R6 pro

1- Hifiman R2R
2-???
2- sony wm1z ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back