$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Jul 7, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #5,686 of 6,550
Calyx M for it's current price in Singapore is unbeatable DAP in terms of sound emotions.

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #5,687 of 6,550
I have Calyx M, Ibasso DX 200 with amp 1 and amp 5, and Cowon Plenue 1, I had Questyle Qp1R, Opus #1 metal edition, Fiio X7 mark II, Fiio X5 mark III, and none of this daps have the sound quality of Calyx M. Ibasso DX200 is close, maybe even better on technicalities, but it does not give me the shear emotions that Calyx M give me. If there is anybody that know a dap that sound better than Calyx M, I would like to know
I am curious how the Calyx M would compare with AK SP1000 and Sony WM1Z or Latoo Paw Gold ...

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #5,688 of 6,550
Just like this)
da0f427a1008226f6abda6d4205b7f4c.jpg

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #5,690 of 6,550
I am curious how the Calyx M would compare with AK SP1000 and Sony WM1Z or Latoo Paw Gold ...
Everyone hears things different and has different preferences. For me, I have yet to hear another DAP that can beat the Calyx M in SQ other than thru cheating by adding my Hugo 2. The thing about the M is that it crosses the performance gap into desktop territory (at the cost of a 4-hour battery life) which I have not heard before. It has full sized sound stage and powerful resonance, dynamics, and textures with extreme levels of realistic detail. Others that come close include the LPG and the old Aune M2s, but still fall short in many areas and still sound like a DAP. I have not heard the AK SP1000 specifically yet having heard great things, but AK while sounding good is always notoriously underpowered requiring a significant amp boost to bring out its best. There is a problem when my cheap $99 BH2 amp can significantly boost the performance of a $4K AK380 - not so on my M. I would be surprised if AK ever corrects this other than as an add-on amp. Where my Sony and AK succeed is in UI and usability where they rock - but they still sound small like a DAP. The M is a big fail in usability missing some of the most basic required functionality such as folder browsing or play all.

In the end, if all you care about is SQ, the M is a huge win and available at a ridiculously low price given its performance. I also consider it to be the most beautiful of my DAPs. One last thing, that magnetic volume slider that everyone was worried about during the build process is my favorite volume implementation allowing instant screen off adjustments on the fly.

Too bad the Calyx company is a joke and cannot come back to correct its mistakes and take us all to the next level of SQ including usability. Regardless, I am looking for a second M as a backup when the first one dies through overuse or age. :wink:

Jul 10, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #5,691 of 6,550
Everyone hears things different and has different preferences. For me, I have yet to hear another DAP that can beat the Calyx M in SQ other than thru cheating by adding my Hugo 2. The thing about the M is that it crosses the performance gap into desktop territory (at the cost of a 4-hour battery life) which I have not heard before. It has full sized sound stage and powerful resonance, dynamics, and textures with extreme levels of realistic detail. Others that come close include the LPG and the old Aune M2s, but still fall short in many areas and still sound like a DAP. I have not heard the AK SP1000 specifically yet having heard great things, but AK while sounding good is always notoriously underpowered requiring a significant amp boost to bring out its best. There is a problem when my cheap $99 BH2 amp can significantly boost the performance of a $4K AK380 - not so on my M. I would be surprised if AK ever corrects this other than as an add-on amp. Where my Sony and AK succeed is in UI and usability where they rock - but they still sound small like a DAP. The M is a big fail in usability missing some of the most basic required functionality such as folder browsing or play all.

In the end, if all you care about is SQ, the M is a huge win and available at a ridiculously low price given its performance. I also consider it to be the most beautiful of my DAPs. One last thing, that magnetic volume slider that everyone was worried about during the build process is my favorite volume implementation allowing instant screen off adjustments on the fly.

Too bad the Calyx company is a joke and cannot come back to correct its mistakes and take us all to the next level of SQ including usability. Regardless, I am looking for a second M as a backup when the first one dies through overuse or age. :wink:

I also agree with previous post - I have almost the same experience in that other than the LPG i have yet to have a DAP that matches or beats this player in SQ. I also have an Old Aune M2pro which is very good for the price - the cowon m is another player i rate - unfortunately I would never have the Calyx m as my only DAP for the same reasons described by other people
- I have got around the play all problem by just creating a play list with all tracks (currently 24,000) and i can shuffle on all of them. For anyone considering grabbing one of the few left for sale out of singapore the impedance matching is one major weakness of the player using IEM or if wanting to use external amplification - currently have an IEM collection of over 50 pairs (Dynamic, Hybrid and balance armature) and at least 40% have the distortion problem without the m-jack so I have defaulted to using the m-jack on all iem . Have not experienced any problem on over ear headphones but have had problems using the headphone out into external amplification which I have overcome by use of the Burson Audio Cable plus interconnect
Its a shame that this player was not further developed - I have grabbed a second player as a backup and used fidleizer mod on this and have been more than happy - 4 years of buying and selling multiple DAPs and none have taken the top spot for sound enjoyment to my ears.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #5,694 of 6,550
Have not experienced any problem on over ear headphones but have had problems using the headphone out into external amplification which I have overcome by use of the Burson Audio Cable plus interconnect
Oh, never heard of problems with external amplification (never tried), but good to hear that there´s something which helps with that problem if I would use the DAP someday for listening at home with a headphone amp and the Calyx M as a source.

Jul 13, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #5,696 of 6,550
Any iem/headphone recommendation for this beautiful beast?
I'm currently using audeze sine

My favorite is my A18, but my Aether, A12t, Harmony 8.2, and Hidition NT6pro sound great too. Even better, is that it is wonderful with full-sized HPs driving my HEX and my HD800 wonderfully.

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #5,699 of 6,550
Jul 14, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #5,700 of 6,550
Any iem/headphone recommendation for this beautiful beast?
I'm currently using audeze sine

Most Headphone and IEM match well with this player in my experience - I find Ultrasone heapdhones match well - especially signature pro dj and the hifi 680 has amazing synergy in my opinion
One of the best clean natural sounding IEM I hav have used on this player is Audiofly AF180 - But all come down to sound preference -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back