$999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage
Nov 8, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #48 of 6,550
Please just clicked on the 'sub' button and not spam this thread with 'sub'. It will cause inconvenience to new viewers who will have to scroll through posts filled with meaningless content.

Thank you :)

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #49 of 6,550
Damn,...now I'm drooling over this too!!! What a bummer,...

So, any news on the anticipated runtime? I'm also going to "Like" the Facebook page,... :wink:

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #50 of 6,550
After experiencing the utterly IEM-incompatible Calyx Kong, I'm worried about the output impedance of this thing...

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM Post #52 of 6,550
Oops,...I almost forgot - SUBBED!!!

Deal with it, it's a public forum. :rolleyes:

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #53 of 6,550
I also hope it has a digital out (Tosh-link  or  USB) to pair with a DAC/AMP when at home or traveling with my HiFi M8.

5" screen is what I am waiting since a looong time. I feel cramped with my SMALL AK100 screen. Let's hope the UI and play list support is well made !!

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #54 of 6,550
After experiencing the utterly IEM-incompatible Calyx Kong, I'm worried about the output impedance of this thing...

They have already mentioned that the output impedance is around 3

Nov 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #56 of 6,550
They have already mentioned that the output impedance is around 3

Quote:
Thanks, you just saved me $999!
(unsubbed)

Wow... $999 for a flagship device, supposedly aimed at high-end portable use, that (if it really is 3Ω) has an output impedance too high to be usable with high-end portable CIEMs...

What a wasted effort and wasted opportunity.

A 3Ω OI DAP is absolutely no use to me without a lower OI amp strapped to it, and then, considering the dimensions, one might just as well buy a DX100/HDP-R10/HM-901

First rule of product design: identify the relevant parameters the device must cater for in order to fulfill it's intended purpose. High-end portable DAPs will mostly be used with high-end CIEMs, which invariably require low-impedance amp OI.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief at how something so fundamental could be overlooked, when engineering such a high-end product, but I guess iRiver led the way in this absurdity, so Calyx are not alone.

Then there's Sony, who have decided, in their infinite 'wisdom', to under-endow the NW-ZX1 with a feeble 15mw+15mw current delivery into 16Ω (I'm not sure what the OI of the device is, but if it's gutless then even a low OI may not be enough to save it, within the context of being used with low-impedance multi-BA CIEMs). 2 Potentially gorgeous DAPs potentially ruined, and so unnecessarily. I have to hand it to James (Fiio), I did have some misgivings about it's power output, but, in comparison with it's would-be competitors, the X5 is looking ever-increasingly like the DAP-to-beat, overall, even though it's pitched at a non-flagship price-point.

Then again, I'd love to find out that this device, when actually released to market, has been engineered with a lower OI than 3Ω.

Time will tell, but my enthusiasm has been severely dampened at this stage.

Nov 8, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #57 of 6,550
Thanks, you just saved me $999!
(unsubbed)

Aww cmon the dx50 you love is 3 ohm too, and the dx100 is 2 ohm, its not that bad really.

But I can agree with mython that the x5 is looking like the dap to beat sq to value wise.

I just want a more premium, smooth, fast and refined dap experience though so its still the Calyx for me. I can forgive the 3 ohm output, considering its doing several other things better than other daps.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #59 of 6,550
I think 3 ohms is acceptable but right now, you don't know if it will even make that spec. If they show it at CES, how long before they actually have something to sell? Summer? Ever? It's cool to know about stuff like this but it's way premature to be taken seriously or get overly enthusiastic about. A 1st DAP by anyone other than the big corps is going to have teething problems.

Nov 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #60 of 6,550
Aww cmon the dx50 you love is 3 ohm too, and the dx100 is 2 ohm, its not that bad really.

But I can agree with mython that the x5 is looking like the dap to beat sq to value wise.

I just want a more premium, smooth, fast and refined dap experience though so its still the Calyx for me. I can forgive the 3 ohm output, considering its doing several other things better than other daps.

The DX100 clocked in at >1 ohm and the DX50 has so far only been measured by a Russian site I had never heard of before. I'm looking forward to seeing what ClieOS makes of it. As long as I'm using it with an amp, it's a moot point, but a $999 DAP sure as hell should be the best thing ever with (c)iems.

3 ohms is theoretically ok with my 35ohm ciems, but what if I decide to get something like the 12 ohm Merlin again or go nuts on the 8ohm K3003?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back